What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Buying my first tub  (Read 20438 times)

Shrugs

Buying my first tub
« on: December 16, 2015, 12:12:29 am »
Hello my name is Shrugs. Just finished my deck and looking to buy my first tub. I just wet tested a Master Spa yesterday and was not impressed. The only thing I liked were the foot jets. A lounge is a must for me as well as top quality and minimal headaches. I'm glad I didnt buy a tub just off looks and have learned after reading here that a wet test is definitely the only way to go. The tubs I will be wet testing in the next 2 weeks are as follows. Im lucky enough to have all these around within short driving distances.

Jacuzzi J-480
Sundance Maxxus
Hotspring Gleam
Bullfrog A8D - Excited about this one I saw it today in person and is being filled for my wet test
LA Spas - Paradise H2
Passion Spa Ecstatic

Any advice, knowledge, feedback is greatly appreciated
Nice to meet you all!
Shrugs
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 12:18:30 am by Shrugs »

Hot Tub Forum

Buying my first tub
« on: December 16, 2015, 12:12:29 am »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Buying my first tub
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 06:45:39 am »
Your likely going to hear a lot of sales BS that ours is better because of this or that. Pay attention to how it feels on your butt and the noise it makes while running. Narrow your list based on that and not something some sales guy tells you about why theirs is better.
Retired

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 11:59:45 am »
Hello my name is Shrugs. Just finished my deck and looking to buy my first tub. I just wet tested a Master Spa yesterday and was not impressed. The only thing I liked were the foot jets. A lounge is a must for me as well as top quality and minimal headaches. I'm glad I didnt buy a tub just off looks and have learned after reading here that a wet test is definitely the only way to go. The tubs I will be wet testing in the next 2 weeks are as follows. Im lucky enough to have all these around within short driving distances.

Jacuzzi J-480
Sundance Maxxus
Hotspring Gleam
Bullfrog A8D - Excited about this one I saw it today in person and is being filled for my wet test
LA Spas - Paradise H2
Passion Spa Ecstatic

Any advice, knowledge, feedback is greatly appreciated
Nice to meet you all!
Shrugs

The first 4 brands get mentioned a lot here for good reason and never heard of the last one but its good to know you have that many options. My advice would be to wet test these as close to each other as possible, typically its best if all the same day but in your case that may be a bit much so maybe all the same weekend. By doing so it'll be easier to compare rather than sit in one and have to compare it to how another felt the previous weekend. When wet testing have them give you a quick tutorial on how all the levers work before you ever get in because otherwise you may not like a certain aspect of the spa but it may be more user error (or dealer error in not informing properly) and I'd ask them ahead of time to have it set to a certain temp (without knowing how you like it I'd default to something very standard like 101), too hot and too cold can lessen the experience and we've heard stories of people going to wet test and its 103 or 98 and not optimal for most.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

amy2421

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 01:27:01 pm »
Good luck! You'll know what feels best to you, and the one that you keep dreaming about soaking in will be the right one! I was totally set on a LaZBoy hot tub after reading all the literature on their ReclinASeats with 30+ massage settings... until we wet-tested it... ugh, what a lunch-bag let-down! I was so disappointed, it was back to the drawing board! Wet-tested the Sundance Cameo 880 and the Jacuzzi J-480 & J-345... fell in love with the Jacuzzi and bought a J-470 (didn't want a lounger.)

We've had it for 2 1/2 months and absolutely love it!!!

Racenut

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 05:52:10 pm »
You should certainly be able to find something you really like with that list.  On the lounge... good luck.  It's been said many times and was true for me... first time buyers buy a lounge, repeat buyers don't.  That's not to say that there aren't many people out there who love lounge seats, just make sure you're really one of them.  This is where wet tests are absolutely required.  But there isn't a lounge out there that works for both me and my wife... we're just too different.  And when it comes right down to it, I can just lay back, relax and float in ANY seat. It's not like a patio lounge where gravity holds you down.  In a dry hot tub, the lounges are nice like that, but once filled with water... I don't see the need.

Shrugs

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2015, 01:10:22 am »
Stopped in at a Marquis dealer today to check out The Show model. The place was a big let down. Very small and dumpy messy place. Not much for models on display and the one that was filled had very old water and smelled horrible. The guy wasnt very knowledgeable about the tubs and I actually felt I knew more about the products than he did. And this was the manager!? Wow. Needless to say I wont be going back and sadly thats the only Marquis dealer around so they wont be up for consideration. Off to Bullfrog tomorrow for a 3pm appointment to soak in the A8D. The Jacuzzi will be on Friday. I'll update on the Bullfrog tomorrow.
Shrugs

Hottubprosne

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2015, 10:21:24 am »
Passion spas are manufactured in china and shipped here. When you wet test the bullfrog make sure you move the packs too different depths it actually makes a big difference on how each pack feels. Good luck

Racenut

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2015, 12:22:29 pm »
Passion spas are manufactured in china and shipped here. When you wet test the bullfrog make sure you move the packs too different depths it actually makes a big difference on how each pack feels. Good luck

Especially the ones with neck jets.  Also try as many of the different packs as they have.  I wasn't even considering the "Gyrosage" until I sat in front of one.  My favorite for sure, but we all have our preferences.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2015, 01:26:46 pm »

Never heard that, but it makes sense. (Never been in a BF)
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

MarKee

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2015, 02:38:50 pm »
Where are you located at Shrugs?

amy2421

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2015, 03:55:54 pm »
Stopped in at a Marquis dealer today to check out The Show model. The place was a big let down. Very small and dumpy messy place. Not much for models on display and the one that was filled had very old water and smelled horrible. The guy wasnt very knowledgeable about the tubs and I actually felt I knew more about the products than he did. And this was the manager!? Wow. Needless to say I wont be going back and sadly thats the only Marquis dealer around so they wont be up for consideration.

This seems to be a common theme when it comes to shopping for Marquis. We have the same situation in our area... the Marquis "dealer" had no Marquis tubs in their showroom when we were there, and it was a totally shoddy messy place too. I don't think I would ever wet-test anything there. Even their dry tubs (2 other brands) were dirty inside. The place was empty both times I went in... how hard would it be to take a cloth and wipe down the inside of the tubs when they don't have a customer to look after??

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2015, 04:22:06 pm »
Stopped in at a Marquis dealer today to check out The Show model. The place was a big let down. Very small and dumpy messy place. Not much for models on display and the one that was filled had very old water and smelled horrible. The guy wasnt very knowledgeable about the tubs and I actually felt I knew more about the products than he did. And this was the manager!? Wow. Needless to say I wont be going back and sadly thats the only Marquis dealer around so they wont be up for consideration.

This seems to be a common theme when it comes to shopping for Marquis. We have the same situation in our area... the Marquis "dealer" had no Marquis tubs in their showroom when we were there, and it was a totally shoddy messy place too. I don't think I would ever wet-test anything there. Even their dry tubs (2 other brands) were dirty inside. The place was empty both times I went in... how hard would it be to take a cloth and wipe down the inside of the tubs when they don't have a customer to look after??

That's too bad.  I try to keep at least 7-10 Marquis on the floor with 2 filled.  I also carry another line but Marquis has top billing on my sales floor

Shrugs

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2015, 04:37:23 pm »
Where are you located at Shrugs?

Wisconsin near milwaukee. Off to Bullfrog now. Runnin behind wanted it a lil hotter so Im waiting.
Shrugs

Shrugs

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2015, 02:38:33 am »
Well wet tested the A8D tonight with a friend of mine and we both enjoyed the tub for the most part. Good quality and the owner of the store was very polite and helpful. This was the best tub so far. Tried lots of different jet paks probably around 10-12 different paks. The NeckMasseuse & Oscillator were my two favorites. The Gyrossage was right at the top also. The Wellness & Deep Relief were a must too. Didn't get to try the Cascadia with waterfall because from what the owner said its not a big hit so he doesnt stock that one. No biggie there. The A8D has 2 lounge seats and putting the Rainshower pak in the secondary lounge was very nice as well for those nights you want it quiet but still get a light massage. Very nice. All in all pretty nice. The only complaint we both had was the foot jets. The foot jets in middle of tub were very weak at best and the foot jets in the main lounge seat were barely better. I wouldve been sold if it werent for the foot jets. I even tried turning some jet paks off and the foot jets were still very weak. I have plantar fasciitis in my left heel and strong foot jets are a must for me especially in the main lounge seat. The tub seamed very well built when we opened it up to have a peek inside. Great insulation and framing. In the next few days I'm off to try Jacuzzi & Sundance Maxxus. Pretty excited about the lounge in the Maxxus just from the looks. Also if anyone has any feedback on LA Spas quality it would be appreciated. I'm trying to track down the Paradise H2.
Thanks for all the help!
Shrugs

Sizzles

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2015, 07:57:34 am »
Well wet tested Phen24 tonight with a friend of mine and we both enjoyed the tub for the most part. Good quality and the owner of the store was very polite and helpful. This was the best tub so far. Tried lots of different jet paks probably around 10-12 different paks. The NeckMasseuse & Oscillator were my two favorites. The Gyrossage was right at the top also. The Wellness & Deep Relief were a must too. Didn't get to try the Cascadia with waterfall because from what the owner said its not a big hit so he doesnt stock that one. No biggie there. The A8D has 2 lounge seats and putting the Rainshower pak in the secondary lounge was very nice as well for those nights you want it quiet but still get a light massage. Very nice. All in all pretty nice. The only complaint we both had was the foot jets. The foot jets in middle of tub were very weak at best and the foot jets in the main lounge seat were barely better. I wouldve been sold if it werent for the foot jets. I even tried turning some jet paks off and the foot jets were still very weak. I have plantar fasciitis in my left heel and strong foot jets are a must for me especially in the main lounge seat. The tub seamed very well built when we opened it up to have a peek inside. Great insulation and framing. In the next few days I'm off to try Jacuzzi & Sundance Maxxus. Pretty excited about the lounge in the Maxxus just from the looks. Also if anyone has any feedback on LA Spas quality it would be appreciated. I'm trying to track down the Paradise H2.
Thanks for all the help!
Shrugs

What was wrong with the Master Spa may I ask? It looks pretty good from the video and pics I saw of it. I Don't want to waste my money if it's rubbish though.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 09:06:54 am by Sizzles »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2015, 07:57:34 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42