What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Why a hot tub cover needs replacing?  (Read 7054 times)

sergey

Why a hot tub cover needs replacing?
« on: December 07, 2015, 12:36:27 pm »
Hello all.
I have a question : why a hot tub cover needs replacing?
Does it mean that there is no technology to isolate a cover from any water getting inside ?
Sorry if it is a stupid question :)

Hot Tub Forum

Why a hot tub cover needs replacing?
« on: December 07, 2015, 12:36:27 pm »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: Why a hot tub cover needs replacing?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 01:07:31 pm »
Eventually everything wears out and needs to be replaced.

Chlorine, bromine and other chemicals used in a hot tub eventually break down the water barrier in a cover, allowing it to then absorb water. Is there technology to prevent this? Of course. You still have to worry about ALL the other aspects of the cover breaking down. Are you willing to spend $2000 for this cover? Unlikely.

Consider, over the life of a spa, it'll go through 3 or 4 quality covers. The first comes with the spa, 3 more can be had for $300 - $400. At that point you'll probably be replacing the spa, and need a different size cover. There's no feasibility what so ever in trying to create the perfect ever-lasting cover.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

sergey

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 01:13:55 pm »
I see - So the problem is Chlorine, bromine and other chemicals ....
in this case maybe it is easier to change wrapping water barrier  every 2 years to prevent the issue?
Visual wearing problem is obvious but not that critical.
Just found hard cover but looks like not all spa brands offer them ...

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 06:05:05 pm »
And how would you change the  wrapping water barrier? To do it properly, so it lasts, it needs to be properly heat sealed in one single continuous seal. That takes a sealing machine at least 9' long (weighs about 1500 pounds and costs $15k to $25k). So, you'd need to take your cover someplace to have it done, or you could just ship off the cover, have it done and then shipped back to you. Problem, the cost of the shipping both ways would exceed the cost of an entire brand new cover.

Be careful with the "hard" covers. There's been a number of them over the years and they've each had their problems that have caused most of them to go out of business. The few left, are mostly new companies that haven't really proven they can last in a real world environment. The only one I know that has a history of lasting is Be-lite. But it's a $1500 cover that weights a ton. $1500 would more than pay for all the covers that would be needed over the life of most spas/

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 07:02:28 pm »
I see - So the problem is Chlorine, bromine and other chemicals ....
in this case maybe it is easier to change wrapping water barrier  every 2 years to prevent the issue?
Visual wearing problem is obvious but not that critical.
Just found hard cover but looks like not all spa brands offer them ...

A worse problem than chemicals is the elements outside. Harsh sun, heat, cold, rain, snow, wind and people.
Retired

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 08:30:06 pm »
My cover lasted close to 9 years, the last few it really was in dire need to be replaces. It was the factory cover and did get a little heavier. Everything in life breaks down and costs money. The price of the new cover was $385.00. The new cover has double wrapped foam cores so it should last at least the same amount of time. If it lasts 10 years like my other cover it costs about $38.50 a year, if it lasts 7 years then it's $55 a year. If you enjoy the tub that's a small price for that enjoyment.

I also have to say besides the foam cores filling with water the actual vinyl was ratty looking - wearing, fading  and the seams were splitting (not to mention green fuzzy stuff growing out of the zippers!  ::))

sergey

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 03:03:21 pm »
Тhank to all for info! Very clear :)
But I still have an idea ...
If we take 2 pieces of hard plastic of size of a cover and insert them into the cover (top and bottom) ...
Will in dramatically increase the livetime of a cover ?
It should prevent direct water movement into a cover ...
Sure will not prevent people from breaking a cover physically .. but it is an exception ...
9 years sounds good to me but some ads suggest to change it every 2-3 years!! It is ridiculous ...

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2015, 08:02:30 pm »
Personally, trying to gain another 2 or 3 years out of a cover by rigging something up just doesn't make sense. Do you drive your car with bubble wrap?

I grew up in an Italian family and some of my relatives would buy nice furniture and encase them in plastic ... If you were allowed to sit on the furniture. I still scratch my head about why these people did that!

Getting back to the cover - 2 or 3 years is ridiculous but you can safely say 5 or more; 9 years was pushing it with my last cover, I'm hoping that this cover is a better quality vinyl and with the double wrapped cores - maybe 10 is obtainable. Actually with a 10 YO tub I'm starting to wonder when the tub will go. It is in great condition as far as I know but stuff does fail and parts do become obsolete.

Don't obsess - Enjoy!

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2015, 08:16:37 pm »
Тhank to all for info! Very clear :)
But I still have an idea ...
If we take 2 pieces of hard plastic of size of a cover and insert them into the cover (top and bottom) ...
Will in dramatically increase the livetime of a cover ?
It should prevent direct water movement into a cover ...
Sure will not prevent people from breaking a cover physically .. but it is an exception ...
9 years sounds good to me but some ads suggest to change it every 2-3 years!! It is ridiculous ...

They are built to tight and it would be difficult to get a sheet of plastic in there that would do any good other than making it heavier? Sealing the foam in a bag is what is currently done. Most cover manufacturers only warranty for 2-3 years but getting 5-6 or more is easy with the right care.
Retired

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2015, 12:26:07 am »
"Will in dramatically increase the livetime of a cover ?"

NO

sergey

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2015, 08:17:59 am »
Ok - I see the point. Agree - 6 years is Ok too.
Just wonder why manufactures do not do that (hard plastic inside) at their end. It should not cost too much.
Never mind - let it be the way it is now. I just like to enhance things if I see a way :)

av8r

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2015, 08:38:41 am »
Ok - I see the point. Agree - 6 years is Ok too.
Just wonder why manufactures do not do that (hard plastic inside) at their end. It should not cost too much.
Never mind - let it be the way it is now. I just like to enhance things if I see a way :)

If someone made a vacuum molded cover shell it could easily last 20 years or more.  Not difficult and probably less expensive than sewing vinyl, but then the vinyl sewers might be out of work at some point!

sergey

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2019, 11:22:15 am »
Like this ? : )
https://hardcoverhottubs.com/

or this https://hottubwarehouse.com/blogs/posts/what-should-i-look-for-in-a-spa-cover

but looks like the second one has no isulation

How about using Thermal blanket ? Like this : https://www.diypartcenter.com/products/hot-tub-thermal-blanket-miscellaneous-7ft-x-7ft-5235
it should increase live span of main cover - Am I wrong?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 11:29:52 am by sergey »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2019, 01:09:20 pm »
Like this ? : )
https://hardcoverhottubs.com/

or this https://hottubwarehouse.com/blogs/posts/what-should-i-look-for-in-a-spa-cover

but looks like the second one has no isulation

How about using Thermal blanket ? Like this : https://www.diypartcenter.com/products/hot-tub-thermal-blanket-miscellaneous-7ft-x-7ft-5235
it should increase live span of main cover - Am I wrong?

Thermal blankets do extend the life of the cover, your right, the foam blankets are better but a bit more expensive.

ROI.......foam thermal blanket 140 bucks. Cover lasts 6 years at 400 dollars. Thermal blanket extends life of cover one year? 2 years? Ummmmm do the math. The cover would have to last about 2.5 years longer to pay for the blanket. I dout it would.

However there is a small amount of energy savings also?????

Kind of a wash in my mind.
Retired

The Wizard of Spas

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2019, 01:54:50 pm »
Adding more and more to the inside of the cover does not reinforce the vinyl outer cover, which there will then be more and more stress at the seams.  External elements can dry-rot the material, and stretch it out as well.

Point is - its not just one thing to fix, its a slew of interconnected things.

I hope this helps.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2019, 01:54:50 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42