What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Arctic Spa (Spa Boy) - Anyone has?  (Read 24429 times)

sergey

Arctic Spa (Spa Boy) - Anyone has?
« on: October 26, 2015, 07:15:00 pm »
Hello All.
I was at a Cottage Show recently ans was introduced with a Spa Boy from Arctic Spa ...
Does anyone has it ? Use it ? Is it accurate ? Worth it ? :)
Salt System + SpaBoy should allow to maintain spa very easy .. Is it like that ?
Thank you !!

Some info from a dealer:
Spa Boy does monitor your spa for Ph and Sanitizer.
It will turn your salt system on if your sanitizer gets low.
It will alert you to your Ph level.  It does not adjust your Ph level. 
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 01:37:50 pm by sergey »

Hot Tub Forum

Arctic Spa (Spa Boy) - Anyone has?
« on: October 26, 2015, 07:15:00 pm »

av8r

Re: Arctic Spa (Spa Boy) - Anyone has?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 07:26:57 pm »
Looks neat, but why add all the complexity?

Also, salt systems seem to have a reputation for corroding components.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ken046rHXyM

sergey

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 07:41:26 pm »
Yes I know :) salt is corroding all but not dramatically - very manageable level.
But this Spa Boy allows me to do not maintain spa for for 3 month in a row (theoretically)
I have a cottage and rent it out and thinking about installation hot tub - so I can monitor it remotely and make sure the chlorine and ph level are good.
The question is - Where are the underwater stones :) I do not see any alternative and no reviews about the system so far ...
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 07:55:49 pm by sergey »

av8r

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 10:27:53 pm »
Yes I know :) salt is corroding all but not dramatically - very manageable level.
But this Spa Boy allows me to do not maintain spa for for 3 month in a row (theoretically)
I have a cottage and rent it out and thinking about installation hot tub - so I can monitor it remotely and make sure the chlorine and ph level are good.
The question is - Where are the underwater stones :) I do not see any alternative and no reviews about the system so far ...

It's likely you'll get to beta test the system for them.  Seems like stuff like this on spas is never ready for prime time.  The wifi setup on my new spa is terrible.

sergey

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 11:13:16 am »
Very possible ....
I see no info - no-оne has it... Do not think Wi Fi is an issue , PH reader probably is .. Have not seen any working yet.

av8r

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 11:54:31 am »
Very possible ....
I see no info - no-оne has it... Do not think Wi Fi is an issue

Don't be so sure.  Tub manufacturers buy stuff like wifi modules from only a few vendors.  If they don't work right for one, they're not going to work right for others.  Inexcusable today when wifi is so ubiquitous and simple to implement.

sergey

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 02:24:48 pm »
Even if WiFi does not work , the system should balance PH and Sanitizer level automatically ... without my supervision
Exxx ... Anyone who has it can comment ? No one yet?
Maybe a dealer can add something? Thank you !

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 08:22:56 pm »
Very possible ....

Don't be so sure.  Tub manufacturers buy stuff like wifi modules from only a few vendors.  If they don't work right for one, they're not going to work right for others.  Inexcusable today when wifi is so ubiquitous and simple to implement.

What kind of tub avr8?  My customers haven't had any issue with the wifi. The ones that have were setup improperly. Marquis uses the balboa app and it works pretty good. The reviews in it online suck but I'd be willing to bet that it just. Wasn't setup properly in the first place

av8r

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2015, 09:09:53 pm »
Very possible ....

What kind of tub avr8?  My customers haven't had any issue with the wifi. The ones that have were setup improperly. Marquis uses the balboa app and it works pretty good. The reviews in it online suck but I'd be willing to bet that it just. Wasn't setup properly in the first place

Bullfrog so it's the Balboa stuff.  I've run a 50,000 node enterprise network at a university for 20 years so I've got a pretty good handle on setting up wireless network stuff.  I've called Balboa support and they were not particularly helpful.  I can connect to the tub directly from the app, but it will not connect to either of my home wireless networks (doesn't even see them even though the tub is 10' LOS from both wireless APs)  Additionally, the app disconnects from the tub frequently.  Since last Friday when i turned it on I've had to reboot the wifi module or the tub 5 times so far to get it to connect to my devices directly.

Seems like my experience is pretty close to what the iOS and Droid OS store reviews relate.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2015, 09:18:25 pm »
As far as being on Autopilot ... I would think it's not what it's cracked up to be. I think it gives a false sense of security that a "computer" is correcting everything. Does the system check for alkalinity and bump or lower it for changing water conditions, what happens when your water isn't behaving the way it's supposed to be? I think there are too many variables.

For Wifi, it's possible to have crappy reception outside and inside a house, same holds true with  all wireless technology. Things that come into play - how far away you are from the router, what obstructions are in the way, is the house aluminum sided ...

I have personally been on a cell phone and have gone from crappy reception to decent reception just by moving a couple of feet.

sergey

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2015, 09:57:58 am »
"being on Autopilot" - I know that maintenance still required.
The system shows that PH level or Sanitazer level are not good and if it does not correct it for a while I assume that other parameters Are not good - So i know that I need to send someone to check it .. This is how I see that ..
The more I reading about salt water hot tubs the more I think that is is a bad idea in general ... too expensive to replace broken parts .. or sensors or ONZONE parts ...
Looks like Hot Tubs are still in need of good engendering help :-)

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2015, 01:24:17 pm »
Looks neat, but why add all the complexity?

Also, salt systems seem to have a reputation for corroding components.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ken046rHXyM

Do you have direct experience with this? or is this something you read on a forum? I am genuinely curious

sergey

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2015, 03:24:53 pm »
I think that is it clear that salt systems will corrode more that just water+bromine or so (if nothing special done to a hot tub)
Any element of a hot tub will live less in salt water than in bromine water.
Maybe they use ceramic heater elements or ceramic pump elements ... but I do not think so .. Most likely they do not bother :)

sergey

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2015, 02:48:23 pm »
Found another automatic solution :
http://www.shop.controlomatic.com/PoolWarden-Single-Pool-Water-Chemistry-Controller-PoolWarden-S.htm

It is for pools but might work for a spa ... Also there is no need to use salt. Could be just chlorine +PH level control ...

sergey

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2015, 04:45:31 pm »
Is there any Arctic Spa Dealers here to ask a questions about that Spa Boy ? or maybe owners of the system ?
Thanks !

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2015, 04:45:31 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42