What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: bullfrog spa in-ground installation  (Read 7625 times)

darin.brown

bullfrog spa in-ground installation
« on: October 22, 2015, 01:47:59 pm »
We've picked up an A8 and wanting to get it installed in-ground instead of sitting on a concrete pad for aesthetic reasons since it'll be sitting right outside our windows in the master bedroom. I've seen the spa vault but was wondering if anyone had installed one in-ground without the spa vault or is the spa vault the preferred/cheapest option?

Hot Tub Forum

bullfrog spa in-ground installation
« on: October 22, 2015, 01:47:59 pm »

BullFrogSpasMN

Re: bullfrog spa in-ground installation
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 03:35:16 pm »
The vault that Bullfrog provides isn't cheap per se but if your contractor/landscaper doesn't have experience building a vault with proper drainage, etc. than it might be the way to go, the instructions are pretty concise to allow for any professional in the landscape/concrete business to install it.

Here is a video courtesy of 'Bullfrog Spas of Ogden' showing a time lapse installation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSCby1dG9J8

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 03:45:11 pm »
Look beautiful...but

Figure any repair is going to cost AT LEAST 3 to 4 times more (personally, when I was doing service work, I'd turn down these type of jobs).

At some point it will flood, costing you thousands to repair. Yes, you may have a sump pump, but sitting idle for years, by the time it's actually needed, it wont work.

It's far more difficult getting into and out of a ground level spa.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 04:05:58 pm »
Look beautiful...but

Figure any repair is going to cost AT LEAST 3 to 4 times more (personally, when I was doing service work, I'd turn down these type of jobs).

At some point it will flood, costing you thousands to repair. Yes, you may have a sump pump, but sitting idle for years, by the time it's actually needed, it wont work.

It's far more difficult getting into and out of a ground level spa.

There are definitely downfalls.....I'd add 'lack of cover lifter' as a downfall as well. It basically comes down to form vs. function.....are you willing to sacrifice some function (easily getting in and out of the spa, no cover lift, making sure the drainage in the pit is free of obstruction and the sump pump is working on a regular basis, etc.) to have what most consider a beautiful "look"

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 06:43:03 pm »
Don't do it.

Everything can break, things do break and it would be a nightmare to repair. I have my tub for 10 years and I have repaired a pump seal, repaired ŕ leak recently and I will have to repair the same pump I replaced the seal on I believe due to the pump sucking in air from the water getting too low due to the leak. I am waiting until spring/summer for the pump repair but the fact is if my tub was in ground then I would have had to remove the tub at least twice to repair it.

As was mentioned it can be difficult to get into and out of the tub At ground level. I feel fortunate that a salesperson explained that to me when I was looking at tubs ... My tub sits about 23 inches off the deck and is the perfect height to sit on the rim, swing my legs over the rim and then sit into the tub. As I get older it is becoming more difficult to me to push myself up from a floor.

darin.brown

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 09:49:05 pm »
thanks all for the thoughts so far. one of the PBs was going to include a 2-3 cavity next to the spa and just put a removable cover in the event that we needed access but sounds like that may not cover all repairs, incidents, etc.. so we may have to look for another install location.. perhaps over a bit so it's not directly outside the windows..

darin.brown

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 03:50:28 pm »
if we were to install about 18" above ground (spa is 38" tall) and leave a 2-3' removable access panel to get to the pump,equipment panel, drain, etc.. next to the spa would that suffice for most of the maintenance/repair needs or are there situations where you really need access to the full outside shell? or at least 2-3 inches on each side if we needed to get some straps around the bottom in order to lift out of the ground?

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 06:26:59 pm »
If Bullfrog spas are made the way they used to be (all plumbing inside the shell) and the only areas where a leak matters is where the motors are then leaving access to the motors is all you need assuming there aren't any fancy things electronically that can go wrong around the tub. If you do need to access items around the tub then leaving the screws out below the area covered below ground will make it somewhat easier to access.

I would still be a little concerned as to what Dr Spa said about filling with water and such (I've had spa overflows) and would hate to think that my tub's electronics /motors were possibly getting wet but that's just my opinion.

Sam

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2015, 06:41:16 pm »
I've personally installed dozens of Bullfrog's in the ground with no problem.  You just need to leave an access hatch like you mentioned to get to the pump, heater, etc.  There is significantly less potential for problems on the other sides due to the Bullfrog design, but that's not a guarantee.  I will say that we have never had to remove a spa from a vault.

Additionally, I recommend installing it partially in the ground like you said around 18" to 20".  It's easier to get in and out of, repairs are easier, and it still maintains the aesthetic that you are looking for.  We do this all of the time for people.  In our area, simply putting a drain line in the foundation works, but we are in a high dessert climate. 

darin.brown

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2015, 11:35:00 pm »
thanks for the feedback Sam. We're in DFW in Texas.. not a lot of rain, etc.. but not exactly high dessert either. we get our share of deluges for sure.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2015, 11:35:00 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42