What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: advice on pad for hot tub  (Read 3172 times)

Jostudly

advice on pad for hot tub
« on: August 24, 2015, 12:35:20 pm »
Hi, I just purchased a Hydropool Serenity 5000 hot tub and would like some advice on building my pad. I have already dug out a 7x7ft 4" deep hole for it. My dealer advised me to use 0 to 1/4 gravel compacted wrapped in landscape fabric followed by thaling then 2" pink foam board and then pressure treated plywood. I am concerned that the foam will crush or rot as well as the plywood. My other option is to use concrete 2" patio stones over the thaling and foam but not sure if the stones will stay level. Also not sure if 3" of stone plus 1" of thaling is enough base as I do not want to go over 3" above ground level? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

advice on pad for hot tub
« on: August 24, 2015, 12:35:20 pm »

Sam

Re: advice on pad for hot tub
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 03:52:52 pm »
What is thaling?  Google doesn't seem to know either.

Anyway, all of that sounds like overkill to me.  I would use 3/4" to 1" crushed rock at about 4" thick.  The finer stuff is more viscous and spongy.  Also, if you need to slide the spa laterally, the leading edge will dig into the smaller gravel.  I wouldn't even worry about the foam either. 

Jostudly

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 04:14:17 pm »
I live in NB Canada with cold winters so the foam is supposed to be for frost. Thaling is suppose to be crusher sand or 0 to 1/4. I am being told where I get the gravel that I should use 3 " of 0 to 3/4 to compact as a base and 2" of 0 to 1/4 on top to level off. Does this sound about right?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 04:54:07 pm by Jostudly »

sksmoker

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 09:30:53 pm »
We call it crusher dust out in the West here. That sounds like a ton of work! My tub sits on barkman patio block (roman pavers) and it is just fine. It has crusher dust underneath it of course but with all the wet heavy snow and floods you guys get sometimes, if that crusher dust isn't compacted absolutely perfectly, you are going to have issues. It is supposed to be as hard as concrete when it is done but man, you have to compact it perfectly.

If you want to put in crusher dust, compact it, and lay some patio blocks like I have, I think that would be best. Use polymeric sand so the joints are hard like concrete and you shouldn't have issues. We have pretty bad frost heave where I am (8' frost line) and if you ever need to relevel your tub you can just adjust your blocks if you need. Or concrete, but if your worried about heaving, that probably isn't best.

Forget the foam and plywood imo.

Jostudly

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 03:37:08 am »
Okay i may go with the patio stones over top off the foam for the frost. Anyone know if the Hydropool brand is good. I don't see any reviews on them?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 03:37:08 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42