What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Newb questions  (Read 3624 times)

av8r

Newb questions
« on: August 21, 2015, 10:08:12 am »
I've been lurking here for a few months reading all I can...time to join in on the fun.

The wife and I have been thinking about a hot tub/spa (what is the preferred name these days?) for a decade.  Recently we decided to pull the trigger and started looking.  I have a spot on our deck that limits us to a tub no wider than 6' (plus or minus a little)  Length is up to 25'.  We've looked at HotSpot, HS Jetsetter, Sundance Dover, Nordic and Bullfrog A5L.  The engineering and flexibility of the BF has me leaning hard that way.  Price is also far better with the BF around here.  My questions are:

Most of the other tubs have a small, 24 hour circ pump.  The BF does not and a call to the factory confirms they cannot put a circ pump in that one due to space limitations.  Since the BF controls allow for 2 separate, timer based pump cycle schedules is the circ pump really a big deal?

Ozonator.  Is this really an advantage?  From what I've read the Ozone can cause issues with plastic deterioration, respiratory issues (in some people) and it's another component that can and will eventually fail.  In a smaller spa like this, should I consider one of these or is it overkill?

Covers.  The dealers are all saying covers are all the same.  Is that true?  I've had some friends with older tubs tell me they used to sell different covers with better R values which theoretically should help with energy consumption.  How about now?  Still true? 

The cover on many of these rectangle tubs folds along the long axis which is a problem for us due to space limitations.  Is there a cover I can get that will fit and fold along the short axis?

Each dealer has a chemical line they push.  Is there one "system" that is considered to be good quality without being overly expensive?  Can I use use the same KISS method I use with our pool which is, add chlorine, test weekly and adjust as needed.

We've dry tested all the tubs we like and will wet test the 2 front runners this weekend.  Anything I'm missing that we should think about?

Thanks. 

« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 10:41:01 am by av8r »

Hot Tub Forum

Newb questions
« on: August 21, 2015, 10:08:12 am »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Newb questions
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 11:16:59 am »
1) circ pumps: I personally like them for the quietness and because if you have ozone it works 24/7 when you're not in the tub but it shouldn't be at the top of your list when breaking things down. The idea that a spa doesn't have one because it doesn't fit is an eyebrow raiser to me because they take up very little room. It sounds more like that's just not an option for that level spa and instead of saying that you got salesman BS (its common for the spa makers that use them that their entry and mid level brands might not have them as a way of keeping the price down) but in the end you can go either way and this should not be a deal breaker especially when you're looking at mid level brands that meet a certain budget.

2) ozone: I prefer ozone but again, you don't have to have it and with many spas you can easily add it after if you want to go without and see how your water maintenance goes which should be fine if you follow directions from your dealer assuming he knows how to teach owners to care for their spa. The old "its just another thing to break down" is salesmanship as well. With that kind of thinking I should get a car without AC or go with roll down windows to avoid the window motor failing.

3) covers: They certainly are not all alike but I'd worry more about this later when your original covers needs replacing a few years down the line. R value and rating of the vinyl to stand up to the elements does vary and some people certainly buy based on price and pay it back in monthly energy costs along with having to get a 3rd cover sooner than someone who first replacement is a good cover. Ask up front if you can get an alternate cover that opens the other way.

4) chems: I like the KISS method as well which is a simple chlorine routine of adding after each use, testing weekly (umm, or so) and cleaning the filters monthly (umm, or so).

Take your time, get a good feel for the dealers capability and willingness to be there after the sale but otherwise it sounds like you're on the right track and the wet test will help you for sure.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 11:20:35 am by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

av8r

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 11:26:31 am »
Thanks for the reply.  Just for clarity, the salespeople did not try to sway me either way nor did they suggest that things like an ozonator would be one more thing to break.  That's on me.  I figure if it isn't there, it can't break!  :)

I'd like the circ pump, but as I said, the folks at Bullfrog told me yesterday that it cannot be added to the A5 series, but is available in the A6 or larger series.  24 hour circ makes sense to me and I've begun to look for an aftermarket alternative.

The dealers I've spoken with here have all been very good at explaining the features, etc. I've been pleasantly surprised that none of them have tried to sway me or speak negatively about the competition.  We have 6 dealers within a 10 mile radius and at least 20 if you go our 25 miles or so. 

Thanks again.

1) circ pumps: I personally like them for the quietness and because if you have ozone it works 24/7 when you're not in the tub but it shouldn't be at the top of your list when breaking things down. The idea that a spa doesn't have one because it doesn't fit is an eyebrow raiser to me because they take up very little room. It sounds more like that's just not an option for that level spa and instead of saying that you got salesman BS (its common for the spa makers that use them that their entry and mid level brands might not have them as a way of keeping the price down) but in the end you can go either way and this should not be a deal breaker especially when you're looking at mid level brands that meet a certain budget.

2) ozone: I prefer ozone but again, you don't have to have it and with many spas you can easily add it after if you want to go without and see how your water maintenance goes which should be fine if you follow directions from your dealer assuming he knows how to teach owners to care for their spa. The old "its just another thing to break down" is salesmanship as well. With that kind of thinking I should get a car without AC or go with roll down windows to avoid the window motor failing.

3) covers: They certainly are not all alike but I'd worry more about this later when your original covers needs replacing a few years down the line. R value and rating of the vinyl to stand up to the elements does vary and some people certainly buy based on price and pay it back in monthly energy costs along with having to get a 3rd cover sooner than someone who first replacement is a good cover. Ask up front if you can get an alternate cover that opens the other way.

4) chems: I like the KISS method as well which is a simple chlorine routine of adding after each use, testing weekly (umm, or so) and cleaning the filters monthly (umm, or so).

Take your time, get a good feel for the dealers capability and willingness to be there after the sale but otherwise it sounds like you're on the right track and the wet test will help you for sure.

Sam

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 12:02:57 pm »
That is the only Bullfrog spa that can't do a circ pump.  It's not sales bs.  It's a small spa and Bullfrog uses the big circ pumps.  Circ pumps tend to be the number one failure in this industry and they are totally not necessary.  There are pros and cons, but I wouldn't let that be a deciding factor.  Both methods work just fine.

Ozone is not necessary either.  You are correct that it causes deterioration.  If you look at a hot tub that is a couple of years old with ozone, you can usually see a discolored area on the underside of the cover directly above the ozone return.

Basically there are pros and cons to ozone and circ pumps and honestly with or without either will likely have very little impact on your happiness with a hot tub.

av8r

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 12:42:31 pm »
Thanks, Sam.  Appreciate the input.

That is the only Bullfrog spa that can't do a circ pump.  It's not sales bs.  It's a small spa and Bullfrog uses the big circ pumps.  Circ pumps tend to be the number one failure in this industry and they are totally not necessary.  There are pros and cons, but I wouldn't let that be a deciding factor.  Both methods work just fine.

Ozone is not necessary either.  You are correct that it causes deterioration.  If you look at a hot tub that is a couple of years old with ozone, you can usually see a discolored area on the underside of the cover directly above the ozone return.

Basically there are pros and cons to ozone and circ pumps and honestly with or without either will likely have very little impact on your happiness with a hot tub.

av8r

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 04:16:27 pm »
I found a cover lifter that I believe solves our space problem.  The Cover Valet only needs 4" or so which is doable even if we use the cover that folds along the long axis of the tub.  I also found a company who makes a cover that folds along the short axis of the tub which to me seems like the better solution.  Can anyone tell me why the cover manufacture or tub manufacturer choose to fold the cover along the long axis?  Does it have something to do with where the control panel is mounted?

Thanks

Sam

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 05:49:04 pm »
I found a cover lifter that I believe solves our space problem.  The Cover Valet only needs 4" or so which is doable even if we use the cover that folds along the long axis of the tub.  I also found a company who makes a cover that folds along the short axis of the tub which to me seems like the better solution.  Can anyone tell me why the cover manufacture or tub manufacturer choose to fold the cover along the long axis?  Does it have something to do with where the control panel is mounted?

Thanks

Usually yes.  Most manufacturers will have the cover fold in a direction that will not require a cover lift bracket to mount on the access panel. 

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 08:40:03 pm »

Properly plumbed ozone will have contact chamber and not impact cover.  A spa with ozone and circ pump will be easier to keep clean.  However, i agree, should not be the deciding factor.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

av8r

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 08:41:12 pm »
Usually yes.  Most manufacturers will have the cover fold in a direction that will not require a cover lift bracket to mount on the access panel.

Thanks, Sam.  On the tubs we've seen the access panel doesn't extend the entire length of the tub so the lifter mounts wouldn't touch the access panel...I think. 

There's a lot more to this than I had anticipated.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 08:41:12 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42