What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: help please: Beachcomber and Essential Tub (Costco) or HydroPool Serenity 5000?  (Read 14944 times)

Tranquil23

I'm looking for a hot tub for the end of my deck. I have recently become a widow.   My main reason for purchase is relaxation (help with sleep/stress) and for my daughter (2 years old) to swim in with me.  I do not want to spend more than I need too, but I don't want it to be poor quality.  I'm trying to make the backyard our special place for my daughter and I.

I don't know much about what to be looking for and the pricing for hot tubs.

Out of these three options, what would you suggest? 

Any feedback would be great.  Thank you :)

Essential Hot Tubs™ Discovery 28-jet 3-seaso - on sale for $3,999- Costco
http://www.costco.ca/Essential-Hot-Tubs™-Discovery-28-jet-3-season-Plug-%2526-Play-Spa-.product.100144392.html

HydroPool Serenity 5000 - dealer - truck load sale - $6,495 (taxes and delivery included)
http://www.hydropoolhottubs.com/en/Shop/Products/Hot_Tubs/Serenity/HPHTSE5000__5000

Beachcomber 360 (Costco) - in store special event - $5,999 and $350 delivery/set-up
http://www.beachcomberhottubs.com/300-series/model-360/360-stocked-model
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 12:49:27 am by Tranquil23 »

Hot Tub Forum

amy2421

I looked at the Beachcomber ones at Costco's special event display yesterday. I don't know anything about them, but I'd be nervous about making this type of purchase without wet-testing and I don't think there's any way to do that with the Costco ones.

Tranquil23

Any other suggestions?  I'm hoping someone who is knowledgable can respond.

I'm recently a widow and I'm hoping the hot tub will help me with stress and sleep.

I don't know much about what to be looking for and the pricing for hot tubs.

Quickbeam

First of all, let me say I’m really sorry for your loss. To have a 2 year old daughter and lose your husband must be very difficult. My condolences to you.

As to your hot tubs, I’m not an expert by any means, so please keep that in mind. Also, I don’t know what your budget is??? You said in your first post that “I do not want to spend more than I need to, but I don’t want it to be poor quality.” Unfortunately, spas are really no different than other products in that you tend to get what you pay for.

Of course there are extras that you can pay for that aren’t really needed - things like stereos, lighting etc. But generally speaking, you will pay more for a better quality spa.

I’ve said many times on this forum that in my opinion there are really three key things that are important when looking for a spa. In no particular order they are to first of all go with a manufacturer that is known for making a quality product and that will stand behind their product. Secondly, make sure to use a dealer you can trust that has been in business for a while, and has handled the particular manufacturer you are looking at for some time. And thirdly, be absolutely certain to wet test the spa. A spa may look good, but unless you are in it with the water in it and jets running you really will not know how it is going to feel.

I know Costco has a great return policy, although I have no idea if that policy also applies to spas. I have heard others on this forum however, say that with Costco spas you will not get the same kind of quality. As an example, a Beachcomber spa you get at Costco will not be the same quality as a Beachcomber spa you will get at a dealership. I have no idea if this is true, but common sense tells me that in order for Costco to sell their spas so cheap, it would stand to reason that they are not the same quality.

You also lose the ability to wet test with Costco and you don’t have a spa dealer to go to if and when something goes wrong.

If your budget allows for it, I would start looking at spa dealerships. I know how difficult it is in looking for a spa, so I’ll throw out some makes you can start with. You might look for dealers that sell Hotspring, Sundance, Jacuzzi, D1 and Marquis. All of these are good manufacturers with good reputations. There are others, these are just some examples off the top of my head. It is a lot of leg work, but it’s much like buying a car. You need to go to the dealerships and find one, and hopefully more than one, that you are comfortable with. Once you’ve done that, then wet test.

And finally, don’t get too discouraged with the process. Sometimes the salesmen are pushy and it can also get pretty confusing. There are some pretty knowledgeable people on this forum who will help you.

Be sure to keep us posted on what is going on and best of luck to you.

Tranquil23

Hello Quickbeam,

Thank you for your response and condolences. It has been a very difficult year.  But my daughter has been a shining light through everything.

Right now my budget is $6,500.  I'm hoping to do something special for us in the backyard for us to enjoy.  I know I won't be able to afford an unground pool, so I would like a hot tub for a variety of reasons.

The Hydropool is being sold through a local business in town, a pool and spa store.  The $6,495 price includes taxes and delivery.  I can also try to negotiate more. Maybe they will be willing to with cash payment.  This company is based out of Canada where I live.

You make a good point about "wet testing" and I've read that suggestion while trying to research when I can.  I am going to inquire.  The hot tub I'm interested is part of a truck sale, so I am not sure if that impacts the ability to wet test.

The more I think about Costco, I'm wary if something goes wrong.  I've have also read about corners being cut for the tubs.  I am not sure if that is accurate, I have worked in the consumer goods industry and companies like costco and Walmart have enough buying power to make their demands met.  It could be possible though. 

We do have a jacuzzi store in town too, I will go there. I am also having an electrician to come over the check if my breaker board can handle a hot tub.

I won't let sales-people push me around, I'm definitely not a push over.

Does anyone who has read this post own a Hydropool?  I'd love to hear your personal experience.

I feel like the company website is obviously biased...
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 11:56:51 pm by Tranquil23 »

Quickbeam

Where in Canada are you? We are in the Vancouver area.

Quickbeam

Hi Again Tranquil,

Sorry if I missed it, but I don't think you mentioned what size spa you are looking for? That will make a difference on the price. Obviously bigger is more expensive.

Another thing to think about is when do you want to get it? You can sometimes get pretty good bargains near year end when dealers are trying to clear out old stock.

And if you look at some of the name manufacturers and their tubs all seem too expensive, you can look at their second or even third tier tubs. Quite often the second and third tier are still really good tubs, they just don't have some of the bells and whistles of the top tier. Just to give you an example, my wife and I bought a Jacuzzi J-345. When we were looking, the dealer point blank told us he didn’t think their top tier tubs (at the time this was their 400 series tubs) were worth the extra money. Jacuzzi also has a 200 series tub. If I’m not mistaken they currently have a 200, 300, 400 and just recently came out with a 500 series tub. And this is not just with Jacuzzi. Most of the name manufacturers have more than one tier of tub and usually, if it’s a name manufacturer, their lower tier will still be pretty good tubs. Just make sure you find out what the differences are before you buy.

Hope all this is of some use to you.

Coleman

Tranquil,
 Sorry for your loss and my condolences!
In our quest for a hot tub We went to several dealers just to look and get a feel for hot tubs and pricing. at first we was wanting to wet test the hot spot tempo, but the dealer did want to set up for a wet test so we moved on to the next one was a Jacuzzi dealer and looked at the J-235 again the dealer didn't want to wet test the J-235 so we moved on again to the next dealer he had a caldera marino, but after talking to him he set up the J-235 for a wet test and loved it we tested some higher end tubs and we floated out of them and did not like them and went back to the J-235 and the purchase price was cheaper then the other Jacuzzi dealer closer to home instead of 2 hrs away and within the budget you have. We felt very comfortable with the last dealer not pushy or demanding of us and gave us a very fair deal and we bought right there. I have been reading this forum for the past 6 months and have learned a lot on hot tubs. Be a Informed consumer so you know when a salesman of full of BS, You cant believe everything a salesman is saying if he is getting a commission of the sale.
 You might look at the lower end of hot tubs from the quality MFG. and take your time and do your research and above all WET TEST a lot of the lower end tubs are well within your budget.-

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
I certainly can understand the stress relief help with sleep.  As a 13 year hot tub owner, that is my primary reason for having one.   I don't think this is consistent with having a tub a 2 year old can swim in.    If otherwise it's just yourself, I assume you are looking for a smaller tub.   I would be keeping it hot or hotter, too hot for a toddler.  Are they potty trained? I wouldn't be letting a diapered toddler anywhere near a hot tub.  You would have to turn the temp way down for them and allow a few hours for it to heat back up.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Tranquil23

Quickbeam - we are just outside of Hamilton in Ancaster.  I was actually just in BC with my little one visiting my brother in Chilliwack.  It was quite the heat wave!  I am looking for a 4-5 seater.  I read some of your old posts about your Jacuzzi doing some research.  We have a jacuzzi dealer in town, so I am going to stop by tomorrow.  I thought they would probably be outside of the $6,500 price range.  I've heard a lot of good things about the local pool and spa store I've been to.  They only sell hydropool hot tubs though.  Do you still have a Jacuzzi?

Coleman - when you saying you "floated out of them" does that mean you floated to the top of the water and couldn't stay seated?  I'm going to inquire about the wet tea on the hydropool she serenity 5000 gold.   I did out a deposit in it because it was a truck sake, but I can be refunded.

Wmcall - my little one has been in a hot tub quite a few times through her one-on-one day care provider.  She turns it way down, to around 92 and she loves swimming in it.  She isn't completely potty trained and she usually wears a swimming diaper whenever in the water (I know that wouldn't  stop her pee from getting in the water).

Quickbeam

Hi Tranquil,

Yes, we do still have our Jacuzzi. It is the J-345. We have only had it just over one year, but are very much enjoying it, although with the heat wave we've been having we have not been in it all that much lately. I'm pretty sure our tub would be outside your price range, but maybe look at the J-200 series of tubs. I don't know much about them, or their price range though. Maybe Jacuzzi Jim could offer you some advice on the 200 line.

And as for you being in B.C. recently, if you were in Chilliwack you were very close to us. We actually live in North Vancouver, but have a summer cabin at Cultus Lake. Not sure if you've heard of Cultus, but it is very close to Chilliwack.

Tranquil23

Quickbeam - Cultus Lake is beautiful, I can see why you would pick a cabin there.  We went this past visit and last summer as well.  What a gorgeous area!

Coleman

Tranquil, Yes we could not stay in the seats and we liked the J-235 better and it fit both of us. Make sure you are comfortable with the dealer and he is not a snake oil salesman. Take your time and research the tubs in your area. Make sure you budget in electric, cement pad and supplies.

Quickbeam

Hi Tranquil,

Just wanted to let you know I sent you a Private Message.

raggdoll

Any updates here? Im also looking at a Hydropool 5000

Hot Tub Forum

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42