What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hotsprings thermister replacement - drain or not?  (Read 2675 times)

wschwisow

Hotsprings thermister replacement - drain or not?
« on: June 29, 2015, 09:46:29 pm »
Hello,

I have a hotsprings sovereign from about 2000. It hasn't been used in about 4-5 years, but I cleaned it up, replaced the filters and filled it. Pumps ran fine but I got a flashing green "ready" light. Everything I've read about it suggests replacing the high limit thermister and control thermister. I bought new parts, but when I went to unscrew the old ones water came out. Is this just water from the heater coming out and will only be a small amount? Or do I need to drain the tub to do this procedure? I panicked and quickly screwed the old one back in, just in case! Thanks for any help.

Hot Tub Forum

Hotsprings thermister replacement - drain or not?
« on: June 29, 2015, 09:46:29 pm »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: Hotsprings thermister replacement - drain or not?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 12:18:25 am »
Too bad you didn't quickly screw the new one in...you'd be done. Too slow, and all the water will drain out.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Nessuno

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 04:11:48 pm »
Whenever I work on my tub, I have found that a shotgun shell makes a great plug for the hoses (I think they are 3/4"). I also learned the hard way to disconnect my heater from the control box and run the pumps first to make sure all the air is out and to verify water is flowing through the heater housing. I  had a dry fire and my heater housing melted to a goo. Smoke and smelled pretty bad too. At any cost, you will be okay to just bleed the air out of the motors before resuming operation. You shouldn't have to drain the tub and fill it again.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 04:11:48 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42