What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: New J-385 - FL1 Error on Startup - Please HELP!  (Read 3882 times)

RidgeTubber

New J-385 - FL1 Error on Startup - Please HELP!
« on: June 02, 2015, 10:49:10 am »
New 2015 J-385 (but was floor demo'd for about a week, so was previously filled, and I assume running as designed).

We filled it yesterday up to the midway point between the bottom of the lowest pillow and top of the highest jet.

Dealer provided filter to screw onto end of hose, so water wasn't piping directly into circ return (under filter closest to control panel w/grate), but we held the hose-end filter inside the filter compartment while filling, so the piping/plumbing seemed to fill up first.

Turned on without filters in place, rec'd alternating "FL1"/"61*" error.
Tub LED lights, clear ray indicator and circ pump fan all appear to be working normally (e.g. I can feel fan running if I put my hand on top of circ pump).

Remedies attempted so far:

-got a small sink plunger (brand new) and fit it around the end of the hose and pumped more water into the circ return (without the hose-end filter attached)
     -opened/closed/opened all jets / diverters / air switches
     -"burped" the circ pump by loosening the large white pipe fittings on both sides (one at a time) and let water drain through

still no luck.

Dealer said he'd try to get someone here this afternoon...any ideas in the mean time?

Jacuzzi Support # solution consisted of "try restarting without filters, if still receiving error, call your dealer".  Not impressed with that response!

Also, the electrician (who was sent by the spa co) said "I don't know much about these tubs", and left as soon as he confirmed the lights came on in the tub...any chance this is a wiring issue?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Hot Tub Forum

New J-385 - FL1 Error on Startup - Please HELP!
« on: June 02, 2015, 10:49:10 am »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: New J-385 - FL1 Error on Startup - Please HELP!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 04:44:38 pm »
While you may not be impressed with that response, the manufacturer feels that anything else is beyond most homeowners are capable of, and rather than risk further damage, wants someone trained and qualified to go further into it.

If the electrician has wired at least one of these before, it's unlikely a wiring issue.

Here's an idea. Go have a beer, and wait till the dealer shows up this afternoon (that's pretty impressive service, by the way).
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

RidgeTubber

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 07:27:02 pm »
Maybe Jacuzzi should be more concerned with the fact that they built a tub that couldn't survive a drain/transport/fill than what I may/may not be capable of as a homeowner.

I can't think of any other consumer good that wouldn't have a bit of technical support for customers who made a multi-thousand dollar purchase of a brand new item.

So far the dealer has been great, I'm just shocked that the company who's name is on the side of my new $10k purchase essentially said "sorry we can't help you".

Cars are infinitely more complicated and I'm sure none of you would be content to take delivery of a new car that didn't start once you got it home.

Not off to a great start.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 08:07:45 pm »
I don't know where you get your expectation - what I mean is, I don't know why you think that sending out a qualified technician is less than good - but having a guy who knows your tub is the right way to handle this. They did nothing wrong from what you have posted.

Relax, let the guy come and get your tub working for you. Chances are it will be something simple, and you will have years of enjoyment from this appliance.

HTH

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 08:18:13 pm »
   Sorry you had a problem, but it happens.  Not a lot Jacuzzi can do other then tell you to try what you did and obviously it didn't work.    You said the dealer had it up and running so obviously Jacuzzi got it to the dealer in operating order.  Not sure what more you want from them until the "dealer" has a chance to look at it?    Like Doc said Jacuzzi doesn't need the average homeowner trying to figure out why his new spa won't run.    You may be very capable, but all it takes is one do it yourselfer electrocuting himself and it's all over.   I am sure your dealer will get it taken care of.

Will be interesting to hear what the problem is. 

RidgeTubber

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 08:50:26 pm »
Like I said...dealer is up to/surpassing expectations...no issues there.  They'll be out in the morning.  Just frustrated with the hands-off attitude I got from the manufacturer...I guess that's a sign of our litigious society...I suppose I can't blame them though.  Weighing my frustration against a $$MM lawsuit, I guess they made the right choice.

Bottom line is the spa should work when you plug it in/wire it in, PERIOD (assuming electrician did their job, of course).  We wouldn't accept anything less from any other consumer good we purchase, this industry/product should be no exception.

Quickbeam

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 10:06:14 pm »
I understand you're frustrated because your spa isn't working. I get that. But problems happen. They happen with even the best built products. I never take issue with a problem that occurs. I do however expect the problem to be fixed in a timely, professional manner. If that doesn't happen, then that's what I take issue with. In other words, I don't take issue with the initial problem, but I may take issue with how it's dealt with. And I have to agree with the other posters that at least so far, it seems like your issue is being dealt with properly. Really hope it all works out well for you as Jacuzzi does make a good spa (we own the J-345 and love it).

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 10:06:14 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42