What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Are these charges for a new tub usual and customary?  (Read 2782 times)

kbingel

Are these charges for a new tub usual and customary?
« on: May 26, 2015, 04:48:24 pm »
HI all,

I have decided on a Nordic D'amour hot tub for myself and sometime husband.  I live in a rural area in the Upper Penninsula of Michigan so I need something that can stand the temperatures up here.  There are only a few dealers as well so my choices are limited.  My question is:  Once we went over how much the tub costs, adds ons like cover, extra insulation, ozonerator, we came to the figure of: $4,560.00.  Add the tax....ok...$ 4,818.00.  I did expect some sort of delivery charges, but I was surprised when I also got charged for freight costs?  So now add on $400.00 each ($800.), for both freight and delivery for a grand total of, $5,638.00.  Is that standard practice?  Since I was in there numerous times and we talked costs etc....I was surprised that this part wasn't part of our previous conversations until we went to ordering.  I told them to hold it for a moment.  Just wanted to know if this is correct.  Does this sound like the right price for this hot tub?  Any insights would be appreciated.  Maybe this is standard and I just have no clue.....since it's my first time buying?

thanks all.

Hot Tub Forum

Are these charges for a new tub usual and customary?
« on: May 26, 2015, 04:48:24 pm »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Are these charges for a new tub usual and customary?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 05:21:55 pm »
Delivery is never "free", its either included in the price or they charge separately. Typically the dealer has it added into the price to begin with and if someone really wants to pick it up themselves they can just discount it for that rare occurrence. The fact they are charging separately isn't wrong, its just a bit shady IF you are saying that you paid for the spa and when delivery time came they then sprung on the added charges for the first time.  Its fine that they are line iteming everything because everything costs $ but its not ok that all the info isn't up front and freight should be up front anyway if mentioned at all, either buried in the price or stated separately. Maybe that grand total is good for that spa, I don't know. Not being there I don't want to knock the dealer too much but from your description their lack of transparency wouldn't make me feel so good.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

kbingel

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 05:44:23 pm »
Well, I guess I just didn't know about those charges upfront but no, I hadn't actual bought it yet.  Maybe this dealer just needs to know that it might be important to talk TOTAL costs when talking costs so people aren't blindsided like myself with another $800.00 at the moment of ordering.  Then they don't have to go online and find out if that is normal.  Seems like it should have been brought up the second or at least the third time I came in and talked turkey.,...

Anyone know if that is a decent price?  And is that a standard price  for delivery and freight?  and/or within reason?

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 07:21:34 pm »
I agree with ST 4800 to 5600 is likely the cost. Not giving you the chance to negotiate on the 800 upfront isn't warm and fuzzy.
Retired

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 10:45:52 pm »
I include this costs when pricing spas. Are you looking at the SE or ms version of the D'amore?

kbingel

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 06:24:14 am »
HOTT  Im looking at the MS.  I considered the SE but didn't care for the lights.  ONly wanted the bigger motor....or do I?  would that make electrical costs go up?

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 06:25:46 am »
Yes bigger motors use more electricity.
Retired

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 04:19:32 pm »
HOTT  Im looking at the MS.  I considered the SE but didn't care for the lights.  ONly wanted the bigger motor....or do I?  would that make electrical costs go up?

This bigger motor in that tub is overkill.  Good flow with the 1.5 hp motor

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 04:19:32 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42