What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Warranty fine-print Jacuzzi vs Hotspring  (Read 4808 times)

digitalroost

Warranty fine-print Jacuzzi vs Hotspring
« on: June 01, 2015, 12:41:56 am »
I've narrowed my choices down to two that offer the right size and focused foot therapy I want.   The Hotspring Gleam and Jacuzzi J-480. 

Of course, each dealer tells me why theirs is better and why I'd be dumb to consider anything else.  (they are actually more cautious in their wording and complimentary of the other brand, but that's the underlying message at the end)

The Hotspring dealer focused on warranty and how HS covers anything and everything in the warranty period, including things like shipping a replacement tub to me if mine needs to be replaced for some covered reason.   It's a zero dollar warranty situation for everything including labor, shipping, removal, etc for anything covered.   He went as far as to tell me examples of how that is not true at Jacuzzi.   I'd be responsible for removal fees, shipping the old tub to the factory and shipping the new tub to myself.   He guessed about $1000 for a new warranty replaced tub.  Not something to scoff at unless you're comparing $0 to $1000.

Is this accurate?  I can't tell what to believe anymore.

The Jacuzzi dealer focused on the brand history, enclosed bottom shell, and ClearRay UV water purification system.  Said maintenance was way simpler and required less chemicals than the ozone systems, but did tell me about the bulb replacement annually. 

As you can tell, we're undecided and looking for anything that sways our decision.  Both seem to be awesome hot tubs.

Hot Tub Forum

Warranty fine-print Jacuzzi vs Hotspring
« on: June 01, 2015, 12:41:56 am »

digitalroost

Re: Warranty fine-print Jacuzzi vs Hotspring
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 01:14:37 am »
Reading their warranties fine print seems to support what the dealer said.  Wondering if anyone has any 1st hand experience with either HotSpring or Jacuzzi and using their warranty.   Specifically, anything they were charged for above/beyond any service travel fee their local shop charged.

JACUZZI
PERFORMANCE Please register your new spa within 7 days of delivery. You can register your new spa at www.jacuzzi.com. Hot tubs must be registered before any authorized service work can be performed. To obtain service in the event of a defect covered by this Limited Warranty, notify your Jacuzzi Hot Tubs dealer or Jacuzzi Hot Tubs as soon as possible and use all reasonable means to protect the spa from further damage. Upon proof of purchase, a designated service representative will correct the defect subject to the terms and conditions contained in this Limited Warranty. There will be no charge for parts or labor to repair the defect, although providing access to affect the repair is your responsibility as the spa owner. You may be assessed reasonable repairman travel mileage charges. In the event that the spa is removed to a repair facility for repair and reinstalled, the cost of removal and reinstallation will be your responsibility as the spa owner. The Manufacturer reserves the right, at its sole option, to either repair or replace any covered part or spa, and in the event it chooses to provide a replacement spa, it will be of equal value to the original spa. In such an event, reasonable costs for removal of the original spa, shipping costs from the factory for the replacement spa and delivery and installation of the replacement will be your responsibility as the spa owner. The replacement spa will carry the balance of the original spa’s warranty. Spa covers are not included.

HOTSPRING
Watkins or its Authorized Service Agent will repair any defects covered by this warranty. Except as described herein, you will not be charged for parts, labor or the freight costs for parts necessary to repair the spa for defects covered by this warranty. In some cases, the servicing dealer may charge you a reasonable repairperson travel/service charge that is not covered by this warranty. Please contact the dealer for information regarding any such charges.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 09:20:36 am »
 The chances either spa would have to be completely replaced are extremely low.  You will probably have a mechanical problem with either spa over the course of 15 plus years at some point.   Anything "major" under the 5 year warranty will be covered.  Things like stereo's lights, air/valve controls and pillows are typically 2 year.   I wouldn't worry about your spa  needing to be replaced for something like a cracked shell or worse.. 

Trifecta

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 09:54:59 am »
My decision came down to the same 2 brands, and I looked at the same issue you are considering. The "nickel and dime" trip charges for service work are a put off, but in my case the price on Jacuzzi was fantastic and the HS wouldn't budge, so it made the decision really simple. Over a year in and zero issues (fingers crossed).

Are your price points the same?

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 10:12:36 am »
Reading their warranties fine print seems to support what the dealer said.  Wondering if anyone has any 1st hand experience with either HotSpring or Jacuzzi and using their warranty.   Specifically, anything they were charged for above/beyond any service travel fee their local shop charged.

JACUZZI
PERFORMANCE Please register your new spa within 7 days of delivery. You can register your new spa at www.jacuzzi.com. Hot tubs must be registered before any authorized service work can be performed. To obtain service in the event of a defect covered by this Limited Warranty, notify your Jacuzzi Hot Tubs dealer or Jacuzzi Hot Tubs as soon as possible and use all reasonable means to protect the spa from further damage. Upon proof of purchase, a designated service representative will correct the defect subject to the terms and conditions contained in this Limited Warranty. There will be no charge for parts or labor to repair the defect, although providing access to affect the repair is your responsibility as the spa owner. You may be assessed reasonable repairman travel mileage charges. In the event that the spa is removed to a repair facility for repair and reinstalled, the cost of removal and reinstallation will be your responsibility as the spa owner. The Manufacturer reserves the right, at its sole option, to either repair or replace any covered part or spa, and in the event it chooses to provide a replacement spa, it will be of equal value to the original spa. In such an event, reasonable costs for removal of the original spa, shipping costs from the factory for the replacement spa and delivery and installation of the replacement will be your responsibility as the spa owner. The replacement spa will carry the balance of the original spa’s warranty. Spa covers are not included.

HOTSPRING
Watkins or its Authorized Service Agent will repair any defects covered by this warranty. Except as described herein, you will not be charged for parts, labor or the freight costs for parts necessary to repair the spa for defects covered by this warranty. In some cases, the servicing dealer may charge you a reasonable repairperson travel/service charge that is not covered by this warranty. Please contact the dealer for information regarding any such charges.

The Hotspring warranty that is being quoted does not mention costs to replace the spa, only to repair it. 

digitalroost

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 10:53:10 am »
My decision came down to the same 2 brands, and I looked at the same issue you are considering. The "nickel and dime" trip charges for service work are a put off, but in my case the price on Jacuzzi was fantastic and the HS wouldn't budge, so it made the decision really simple. Over a year in and zero issues (fingers crossed).

Are your price points the same?

HS is about $1000 cheaper.  He started low and isn't budging.
Jacuzzi started high, came way down and is seemingly done budging.

digitalroost

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 10:57:06 am »
The Hotspring warranty that is being quoted does not mention costs to replace the spa, only to repair it.

That is partially why I ask.  I read the whole thing and that is all it says anywhere.  So, left to assume repair would include replace, as the dealer claimed??

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2015, 04:47:46 pm »
Hot Spring warranty covers parts and labor.  An individual dealer may choose to charge a "trip charge" on warranty calls (typically $40-$100) from what I've seen in the industry.

Hot Spring's will cover the cost if the spa needs to be replaced to a point, meaning if you decide to bury it in a 3 seasons porch they obviously will not cover the cost of bringing in 4 carpenters to "remove a wall" to get at the spa...rightfully so

Sam

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2015, 06:00:03 pm »
As stated previously, the odds of having to replace the entire unit are extremely low.  I have only seen it happen twice in my 20 years in the industry.  You happen to be looking at 2 excellent manufacturers.  I would not let this aspect affect your decision. 

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2015, 06:00:03 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42