What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: 2008 Hot Springs Vanguard drain line leaking  (Read 5765 times)

ny14337

2008 Hot Springs Vanguard drain line leaking
« on: April 12, 2015, 06:03:08 pm »
The drain line on my 2008 Hot Springs Vanguard is leaking.  Must be a crack in the piping by the threads.  I'm going to have to replace the line.  Is there any way to get to it other than jack it up?  I this something I can do on my own of should I have a dealer rep handle it?  Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

2008 Hot Springs Vanguard drain line leaking
« on: April 12, 2015, 06:03:08 pm »

Hopvader

Re: 2008 Hot Springs Vanguard drain line leaking
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 01:01:21 pm »
About 5 years ago the cut off valve on our 1999 Grandee Hot Springs (just died of rot) failed and would not turn off the drain line. I used the threaded cap to turn off the drain line for a year or so thinking that the tub would have to be jacked up to replace the cut off valve from underneath. Later when the dealer serviceman was out repairing a leak in one of the roto jets on one of the corners, he replaced the bad drain valve from the top side(inside the equipment panel). That valve and nibble are made to be replaced without raising the tub. Hope this works on yours.

ny14337

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 03:06:36 pm »
I was hoping that maybe the o-ring for the cap was bad, but that's not it.  It's the secondary drain line.  It's actually a 2003 model, not a 2008.  I bought the house with hot tub already there.  When I turn the jets on, the leak is worse, so I'm guessing the drain line must be under some pressure.  I called the tech and he's coming out to take a look.  He was all gloom and doom, saying that the plumbing lines are surrounded by foam and have to be chipped out to get access to them, even if it's a small leak.  Sounds like lots of $$$.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 02:16:03 pm »
If you know the fitting is cracked, you can simply pull it out and insert a pipe extender. They do exist - they are a PVC fitting which glues to the INSIDE of the remaining pipe. Here's a photo:

You can get them in various sizes, but you will need either a 3/4 or 1/2 inch. You can glue a new end fitting in place on the pipe extender, but be sure you get a 'Garden Hose Thread' fitting and not a 'MIPT' (Male Iron Pipe Thread). The MIPT is tapered, the garden hose fitting is not.

I have replace many of these with the tub sitting on the ground - empty, of course - but not tipped up. I have had delivery crews break them while moving a tub, or they have simply failed at the glue joint, or more often the main drain (which has one of those little shut-off valves sticking out) gets stepped on hard, or smacked with a step.

HTH

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 02:16:03 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42