What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Just bought a Jacuzzi J-470... still have Questions!  (Read 4771 times)

amy2421

Just bought a Jacuzzi J-470... still have Questions!
« on: July 06, 2015, 12:24:14 pm »
I've been reading a lot of posts, but this is my first time posting on here. We have never owned a hot tub before so I've really appreciated all the advice and information. I am short and my husband is tall so we've had to make sure that whatever we choose will fit us both. Originally we were looking for a 7'x7' tub because our backyard is space-challenged, but we found those felt a bit cramped, especially for my husband.

We "wet-tested" our friends' Sundance Cameo 880, which is a beautiful hot tub but was not for me because I floated out of the lounger and all of the seats. There was nothing to hold me in place. At the Sundance dealer, we looked at the Optima and liked it, but could not wet-test it and found the price quite high.

I thought the LaZBoy Fantasy was going to be the one for us, the size was right and the ReclinaSeats are advertised as being comfortable and keeping you in place, and I liked the multiple massage settings. Dry-testing it, it seemed a little cramped. We wet-tested its big brother, the Dream, and I floated out of both ReclinaSeats. The only way to keep myself in place was to wedge both knees against the sides of the seat, which wasn't really comfortable or relaxing. There is only one proper seat in the Dream other than the 2 recliners, and it was comfortable, mainly because I could anchor my feet in the footwell and stay in place.

We briefly looked at and ruled out (for various reasons) the Maax/California Cooperage tubs. We also looked at the HotSprings Pulse but we can't wet-test it.

I've been looking at/drooling over the Jacuzzi J-480 for about a year since I saw it at a home show, but the price seemed over our budget. We went to Jacuzzi and were considering a J-365, but I kept going back to the J-470 so we wet-tested the closest we could get: a J-345 and a J-480. The J-480 was wonderful, I loved sitting under the dual waterfalls for the neck/shoulder massage, and my husband really liked the lounger. It is probably the best lounger I've sat in but I still had to contort myself to try and stay in it, as my feet don't reach anywhere close to the foot jets to help stay in place. But I really liked the back jets in the lounger and all the other seats were comfortable.

So we went ahead and negotiated the price on the J-470. It was a Truckload Sale and they had the colour and feature combination available that we wanted (brand new 2015 model.) I think we got a great deal, it's always a bit hard to tell with these things. We got the J-470 (no radio) with SmartSeal, Cover, CoverMate 3 cover-lifter, starter kit and delivery for $12400 CDN plus tax ($14000 all in). At the current exchange rate, that would be equivalent to about $10,000 USD before tax.

So for all the gurus on here, a few questions... Does that sound like a decent deal on a new 2015 J-470 with SmartSeal and no radio? Do you think that the J-480 wet-test is "close enough" to give us an accurate picture of what the J-470 would be like wet? I'm still double-clutching on the whole lounger/no lounger debate and wondering if we should've gotten the J-480 for the lounger for my husband. What do you think? (The other consideration was the size - the J-470 is already 7" bigger on each side than we were anticipating, and the J-480 adds another 3" on top of that.)

Thanks again for all the advice on here.. and sorry for the super long first post!!! :)

Amy

Hot Tub Forum

Just bought a Jacuzzi J-470... still have Questions!
« on: July 06, 2015, 12:24:14 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: Just bought a Jacuzzi J-470... still have Questions!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 02:52:14 pm »
 I think you got a good price specially for up there.   I really  do not like the 480.  The lounge is short and built more for a women, also you stare at the underside of the cover if you do the lift.  Still a really nice spa but we sell way more J-470s. 

As far as the same as the 480 wet test I would say they are very similar seating wise, except the lounge taking that one corner out of the picture.   

Too add the lounge is short but then it depends on how tall your husband is.   I am 6'2 and my feet hang over the foot jets, but it is still comfortable, even more so for a women. 
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 04:06:01 pm by Jacuzzi Jim »

richierich

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 03:41:16 pm »
The J-470 looks like an awesome spa. I have a sundance optima and have found that I can lounge/slouch in any of the four corner seats comfortably and allow the foot dome to massage my legs. The foot dome also makes a great anchor for those who tend to float or move.  I think you made an excellent choice at what seems to be a great price.

summerside9000

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 02:32:27 pm »
I have a 2012 470 and I like it very much. only complaint would be the spinners need to be cleaned upon each drain to keep them working nicely and you need to rotate the jets regularly to keep them operating freely. The indicator light has been replaced and shines brightly for awhile then fades. (ground?)
The filter basket lets go every time and maybe just a mesh around it to strain out the leaves etc. Its just cheaply sewn together. ( i replaced the baskets once already and the same thing happened.)
Make sure you put it through the paces for the first year and get any warranty work done. (heater) (led lights)(control panel)
Waterfalls are nice on the shoulders and various seat heights to suit different sizes of people. Keep the water adjusted and keep the shampoos and oils out of there. (foam city)
Also open up the cabinet and look at the wiring harnesses and route them away from sources of heat and pinch points. It pays to zip-tie them into a place where they will be kept away from damage. Buy some insulating foam and foam around the piping where it looks missed or damaged as mine was insulated just ok in places.
Keeping the hardness and ph right will reduce the spotting on the acrylic.

amy2421

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 03:18:37 pm »
Thanks everyone for the replies and advice! It is much appreciated, as I said before we are total newbies at hot tub ownership so any comments are very helpful.

I think the only thing worse than not having a hot tub is having purchased one and now having to wait until mid-late September to have it installed! (That's when our backyard overhaul will be done to the point where we actually have a place to put a hot tub.)

Please keep the comments and advice coming! :)

Thanks again

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 03:18:37 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42