What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Vortex spas My experience good bad and ugly? Please read and respond  (Read 47541 times)

Levelheadsteve

Re: Vortex spas My experience good bad and ugly? Please read and respond
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2015, 11:30:20 pm »
Whenever I visited hot tub dealers, none of them bashed other brands or dealers. None of them even bashed the Master Spa dealer I told them I had visited.  I find it incredible that anyone who has been through this is still willing to let Vortex try and make it right.  Fool me once...

Well Levelheadsteve, clearly you don't live in the same market as me.  See my previous post, and explain to me how layman is supposed to decide.

I don't question your initial decision on the brand. Any brand can have good and bad products and every brand has its fans and detractors.  I question your willingness to still deal with this company and give them an opportunity to make it right. If they are reading your posts, they probably figure they have no need to hurry bc after the unbelievable crap they've put you through, you are still willing to deal with them.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2015, 11:30:20 pm »

Levelheadsteve

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2015, 11:34:25 pm »
Btw, I looked at their Facebook page and there are many posts that show there are comments from other FB users. However, when you click on the post, there are no comments posted. This is indicative of the page owner removing the comments.  I wonder why they've removed so many comments from their FB posts.  Do you think they would remove the comments if they were positive?

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2015, 11:46:11 pm »
Btw, I looked at their Facebook page and there are many posts that show there are comments from other FB users. However, when you click on the post, there are no comments posted. This is indicative of the page owner removing the comments.  I wonder why they've removed so many comments from their FB posts.  Do you think they would remove the comments if they were positive?

Ta hell with FB!   Don't you think he would have had his spa by now had they been a half way decent company?   Good lord I think I have some swamp land south of the border for sale.   

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2015, 01:27:45 am »
Swamp land you say? Is it cheaper than everybody else's? How looooooooooong would I have to wait for delivery?
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Quickbeam

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2015, 02:00:11 am »
But it's not swamp land. At least not at low tide!

frustrated

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2015, 06:40:09 am »
I notice that no-one is actually responding to my request for help - perhaps instead of making wisecracks, the people with knowledge can make recommendations based on the options that I've got available?  That would be very helpful, and I believe more in the spirit of any forum such as this.

Thanks.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2015, 07:39:18 am »
I notice that no-one is actually responding to my request for help - perhaps instead of making wisecracks, the people with knowledge can make recommendations based on the options that I've got available?  That would be very helpful, and I believe more in the spirit of any forum such as this.

Thanks.

What request for help, other than the title?
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Quickbeam

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2015, 11:55:07 am »
Tman, Jacuzzi Jim -

I feel that your posts here are quite judgmental.  Did you actually read what I wrote?
(1) the Vortex product design fits my needs the best
(2) I have limited options available to me where I am
(3) local technicians who have serviced Vortex product have opined that since they use Gecko and other commonly available parts, service/repairs are straightforward
(4) I would only complete this purchase if there was enough of a discount that I can take the risk of a unreliable warranty

I am not in a super-active, super-competitive market for swim spas.  Local dealers sell (but no one stocks, so you are ordering untested and unseen, just like Vortex) -

Dynasty Spa - everyone other than Dynasty Spa tells me they suck.  Reviews also suggest this.  Largest single cavity is 17', street price here of $25,000.
Canadian Spa Company - everyone other than Canadian Spa tells me they suck.  Almost no reviews.  Largest is 16', street price here of $25,000.
Master Spa - everyone other than Master Spa tells me they suck.  Reviews also suggest this.  Largest single cavity is 18', and the MP model is almost $40,000 street price here.
Hydropool - everyone other than Hydropool tells me they suck.  2nd best design for my needs, after Vortex.  Largest single cavity is 17', street price here is almost $40,000.
Coast Spa - everyone other than Coast dealer tells me they suck.  Largest single cavity is 16'.
Trevi - rebranded Dynasty, which everyone tells me sucks.
D1 - At over $40,000, in a different price league than most others.  Beautiful to look at, but design isn't really what we wanted (only one spa seat).  I haven't asked anyone else about them, so no one has told me they suck.  But if I ask, I'm sure someone will tell me they do.

It's easy for you guys to sit back and suggest that anyone who buys Vortex is an idiot, but as I hope this illustrates, it's not a simple decision for someone who doesn't repair spas to make in a market with limited options.  Also important to consider is that half the hot tub/spa dealers in town have restructured or gone bankrupt in the last 5 years, so whether you actually have your local dealer to back you up and provide support is quite questionable.  This, combined with my CC's fraud policy, encouraged me to take a flyer on Vortex.  And if I can get a deal on it, I will still reconsider it today.

Since you are the experts, what would you suggest as the #1, 2 and 3 choices here?  Cost needs to be a consideration, as there is more than a 200% increase from the cheapest to the most expensive ones.

I am thinking you are looking for help with your questions on the above post. Sorry that I can't help you, as I know nothing about swim spas, although I know that in terms of hot tubs, D1 has a good name. I also see they are the most expensive swim spa by quite a bit. Please also don't get down on the people on this forum. It is a great resource. I know when I was buying our first spa last year, I was totally confused and it was the people on this forum that helped me a lot.
You should also know, or maybe you do know, that there was a fellow on this forum last year who was pumping Vortex spas. I think his name was Ryan, or something like that. He was a very regular poster and a lot of his information was disputed by regular posters like Tman and Jacuzzi Jim. Well, Ryan has now disappeared and Tman and Jacuzzi Jim are still here offering real help to people.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2015, 05:21:30 pm »
Tman, Jacuzzi Jim -

I feel that your posts here are quite judgmental.  Did you actually read what I wrote?
(1) the Vortex product design fits my needs the best
(2) I have limited options available to me where I am
(3) local technicians who have serviced Vortex product have opined that since they use Gecko and other commonly available parts, service/repairs are straightforward
(4) I would only complete this purchase if there was enough of a discount that I can take the risk of a unreliable warranty

I am not in a super-active, super-competitive market for swim spas.  Local dealers sell (but no one stocks, so you are ordering untested and unseen, just like Vortex) -

Dynasty Spa - everyone other than Dynasty Spa tells me they suck.  Reviews also suggest this.  Largest single cavity is 17', street price here of $25,000.
Canadian Spa Company - everyone other than Canadian Spa tells me they suck.  Almost no reviews.  Largest is 16', street price here of $25,000.
Master Spa - everyone other than Master Spa tells me they suck.  Reviews also suggest this.  Largest single cavity is 18', and the MP model is almost $40,000 street price here.
Hydropool - everyone other than Hydropool tells me they suck.  2nd best design for my needs, after Vortex.  Largest single cavity is 17', street price here is almost $40,000.
Coast Spa - everyone other than Coast dealer tells me they suck.  Largest single cavity is 16'.
Trevi - rebranded Dynasty, which everyone tells me sucks.
D1 - At over $40,000, in a different price league than most others.  Beautiful to look at, but design isn't really what we wanted (only one spa seat).  I haven't asked anyone else about them, so no one has told me they suck.  But if I ask, I'm sure someone will tell me they do.

It's easy for you guys to sit back and suggest that anyone who buys Vortex is an idiot, but as I hope this illustrates, it's not a simple decision for someone who doesn't repair spas to make in a market with limited options.  Also important to consider is that half the hot tub/spa dealers in town have restructured or gone bankrupt in the last 5 years, so whether you actually have your local dealer to back you up and provide support is quite questionable.  This, combined with my CC's fraud policy, encouraged me to take a flyer on Vortex.  And if I can get a deal on it, I will still reconsider it today.

Since you are the experts, what would you suggest as the #1, 2 and 3 choices here?  Cost needs to be a consideration, as there is more than a 200% increase from the cheapest to the most expensive ones.

Since you have limited options it might be worth going in a talking to one of those listed.  I know you want the Vortex and it probably would work fine.  Problem is again they can't get it to you, I have my doubts it is where they actually say it is and the fact they won't even send you a reply is pretty shady.    Honestly I would get the money back and see what other option might work.     

frustrated

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2015, 05:54:56 pm »

Since you have limited options it might be worth going in a talking to one of those listed.  I know you want the Vortex and it probably would work fine.  Problem is again they can't get it to you, I have my doubts it is where they actually say it is and the fact they won't even send you a reply is pretty shady.    Honestly I would get the money back and see what other option might work.     

Hi Jim, thanks for your response.  I, too, doubt that the Vortex route will work out, for the same reasons.  I just haven't completely shut the door to a negotiated arrangement, if there is a spa built for me to begin with, which I doubt is the case.  And I do already have my money back.

But among the options that I've listed, would you suggest a #1, 2, and 3 choice price considered? 

The best "deals" seem to be on Canadian Spa and the Dynasty product. 

Canadian Spa I would either need to deal with Home Depot, or from the manufacturer direct in Toronto (so again, long distance).

Dynasty I can buy from local "dealers".  Is Dynasty complete crap?  Are they poorly designed, poorly built, use poor components?  What are the typical issues? 

Thanks

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2015, 06:05:54 pm »
  I do not know that much about Dynasty,  no dealer has ever been around us.    I have seen them at trade shows though and they seem to be ok.    Least you are dealing with a company with a long standing.   Same with the other spa, if you buy through HD again there is a leg to stand on..

As far as issues, the shell would probably not be an issue, hard to say.   Equipment wise my guess would be they are using Balboa, which is a well known brand with a huge following amongst spa builders.  In my opinion the dealer is more important than the spa itself.    How long has the dealer been around, ask for some references of folks that have bought from them.    A spa is only as good as the dealer that can take care of it or help you if you have an issue.   Not something you are going to get from Vortex.    You say you have the money back that's a good thing, and probably why they are ignoring you.   

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2015, 06:22:32 pm »
I think Dynasty makes a fine upper middle of the road tub. wmccall had one for 8-10 years didn't he? Held up good. Standard off the shelf Balboa/Gecko/Waterway guts.

But we don't want to hijack this thread. Start another narrowed down thread.
Retired

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2015, 07:36:54 am »

Dynasty I can buy from local "dealers".  Is Dynasty complete crap?  Are they poorly designed, poorly built, use poor components?  What are the typical issues? 

Thanks

My 2002 Dynasty was poorly designed in someways.  It had controls that did nothing and jets that no power came out of.  It used average run of the mill components.  I did however find that after my dealer closed, the Customer Service Department in TN was terrible and got worse as the years went by. 
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

nfree

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2015, 05:04:58 pm »
BIG UPDATE

I wrote this forum, most people bashed Vortex BUT<

today they emailed me and have resolved their shipping problems, they tell me i can have my spa by March 6th (or so)

So I have already done the charge back on my visa so they have offered me to pay upon delivery.

He has indicated that he will fly to Calgary to personally see this deal through.

Just thought I started this thread and would carry it through to the end (I really thought this was a dead horse, we will see)

Thanks for all the interest I will update again when I have more news

Tuco

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2015, 05:55:53 pm »
But with all the bullsh!t in this industry, it's very hard for a consumer to determine which company is worthy of your dollars, and will stand behind what is a quality product. 

I second this!  Even with a friendly local dealer and leading brand name, we are having a heck of a time getting what should be a simple warranty repair completed. So far our requests have gone unanswered (for a month). Literally no response. So you can buy locally and get screwed just as bad as buying from a company like vortex.

It looks like you made progress with your order, I hope it works out for you. 

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2015, 05:55:53 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42