What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Floor Models, opinions please  (Read 5010 times)

Tummy54

Floor Models, opinions please
« on: January 29, 2015, 06:53:49 am »
Been shopping and everyone is selling off their 2014 models at a discount.  I'm new to hot tub buying so maybe this is a selling tactic, maybe not.  But I'm surprised that dealers basically consider a floor model filled with water and used, a new floor model. 
So if you were shopping for a new car and there were two,, 2014 models on the lot.  One had 5 miles on it and the other had 5000.  Well that's Used, plain and simple.
I guess I look at a hot tub which has been running for the past year, maybe less, all the controls being manipulated much more than an owner due to potential buyers fiddling with it each daily. Wet tests. Etc etc

As opposed to the floor model that has never been filled since the factory test.

So to the knowledge hot tub folks, what's your opinion? I say it's a used hot tub and the price should reflect that.

Hot Tub Forum

Floor Models, opinions please
« on: January 29, 2015, 06:53:49 am »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Floor Models, opinions please
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 07:33:59 am »
To me, its not a big deal as long as all parties involved know the story.   All hot tub prices are pretty much negotiated anyway, this just gives you more room.   Very few tubs are going to be filled and used for long periods of time, dealers depend on turnover.   I do remember my first tub was delivered and filled up.  The minute  I turned on the jets the diverter sprayed water in my face. The factory forgot to install an o ring in the diverter. That wouldn't of happened.    I requested my dealer move the model I was looking at into his test room. It was unused till that point. But he ordered one for me. I would have taken that one. 
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Waterlogger

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 02:19:00 pm »
Well, you know it works without defects and you can usually get a better deal so yes I would.

Hot Spring Ace

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 02:25:48 pm »
Been shopping and everyone is selling off their 2014 models at a discount.  I'm new to hot tub buying so maybe this is a selling tactic, maybe not.  But I'm surprised that dealers basically consider a floor model filled with water and used, a new floor model. 
So if you were shopping for a new car and there were two,, 2014 models on the lot.  One had 5 miles on it and the other had 5000.  Well that's Used, plain and simple.
I guess I look at a hot tub which has been running for the past year, maybe less, all the controls being manipulated much more than an owner due to potential buyers fiddling with it each daily. Wet tests. Etc etc

As opposed to the floor model that has never been filled since the factory test.

So to the knowledge hot tub folks, what's your opinion? I say it's a used hot tub and the price should reflect that.

Floor models can be a good deal but that depends on how much they want to move it and every dealer looks at it their own way. I would not hesitate to try to get a floor model deal personally. As far as your analogy, I think its more like 5 miles vs maybe 1000 miles. The spa has been indoors the entire time and mostly just sits there. The fact its running isn't a negative really and it could be argued that it even verifies the break in period on the electronics.

girlinhotwater

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 04:38:26 pm »
I bought a Hot Spring 2012 Envoy floor model at this same time of year two years ago. It saved me about two grand at the time. The savings made it very worth it to me as the warranty started the day it was delivered to my home. The spa I bought was an empty floor model but it did have some shoe scuffle marks on the shell from customers climbing in and out to dry sit in the spa. I was able to scrub those out with some baking soda and a scrub brush so it ultimately looked like a brand new spa. If the spa you are looking at is filled, I would just be sure to ask about the warranty start date and I would insist on getting brand new filters with the spa upon delivery. I guess if it were only a few hundred dollar difference I would have just ordered a new one, but the price difference for me was substantial so I jumped at the opportunity to get the larger spa. I don't see anything wrong with floor models at all it's a great way to save some of our hard earned money ;D

Tummy54

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 09:38:10 am »
Thanks for the replies, I also agree a floor model is a good way to save some money by getting last years model.  Although i disagree with Hot Springs Ace about the 5 mile comment. 
I don't sell cars, merely used it as an analogy.  But i would say 5 miles is like a car pulled off the hauler, maybe around the lot and parked. But if every potential buyer took it around the lot, slammed the doors, played with the buttons, etc etc.  well then it becomes more used than not.  Hence, a hot tub filled and running for the past 6 months or so is more used than not.

But hey you must be a dealer trying to justify why not to consider it used. Either way I appreciate your feedback and respect everyone opinion.

Hot Spring Ace

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 04:40:05 pm »
Thanks for the replies, I also agree a floor model is a good way to save some money by getting last years model.  Although i disagree with Hot Springs Ace about the 5 mile comment. 
I don't sell cars, merely used it as an analogy.  But i would say 5 miles is like a car pulled off the hauler, maybe around the lot and parked. But if every potential buyer took it around the lot, slammed the doors, played with the buttons, etc etc.  well then it becomes more used than not.  Hence, a hot tub filled and running for the past 6 months or so is more used than not.

But hey you must be a dealer trying to justify why not to consider it used. Either way I appreciate your feedback and respect everyone opinion.

A car with 1000 miles on it is "used" and a car with 5000 miles on it is "used", the only difference is the degree. I clearly wasn't saying you shouldn't consider a wet floor model spa "used", I just didn't think it was as used as you had theorized.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 04:42:19 pm by Hot Spring Ace »

Waterlogger

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 04:51:58 pm »
as far as I know the warranty doesnt start until its at your house anyway....

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 04:51:58 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42