What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Electric Hot Tub convert to Nat Gas from 110v Electric  (Read 5680 times)

Keith

Electric Hot Tub convert to Nat Gas from 110v Electric
« on: December 19, 2014, 09:15:17 pm »
I am contemplating using a 110v hot tub and converting the heating function to Nat Gas. I have 110v access and Nat gas access. I am thinking of running water lines from the pump through my hot tub spa heater and allowing the hot water to arrive via the heater rather than the electric heater. It would seem to be an easy electrician job to route the hot water from the tub through the heater while using 110v pump to do the pumping. Whaddya' think?

KMANOUT

Hot Tub Forum

Electric Hot Tub convert to Nat Gas from 110v Electric
« on: December 19, 2014, 09:15:17 pm »

Kev B

Re: Electric Hot Tub convert to Nat Gas from 110v Electric
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 10:46:40 am »
 Very common to do in warmer climates like So. Cal. If it freezes where you are, you need to install heater in heated shed/room and the pipes will need protected also. You will probably not save any money and if you do it will take a long time to realize the savings because the heater is so expensive. The wire that went to the heating element can go to the gas heater to power it up. I once put a 225,000 btu heater on a 350 gallon tub and installed a remote control to turn it on in their house....that sucker was hot in no time. Make sure you have it passed by your local city inspector.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 05:32:39 pm »
Kev is right. Is a replacement electric heater not available for a few hundred? Did it not function satisfactory for you before?
Retired

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 10:22:12 pm »
You could also install a type of "freeze control" that would simply turn on the pump if the air temp is below a preset temp. Basically running the pump constantly when there's a chance of freezing.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Keith

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2014, 01:42:41 am »
No ice in this country. I understand letting a 110v heat the water puts you well into upper tier for elec.$$$. Also from a cold start it can take many hours to get to 100 degrees. I only have 110v access and I hear that the pump can make bubbles while the heater runs at the same time. I hear that a straight 110v either heats or bubbles Am I right?

Kev B

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2014, 05:22:15 pm »
 Yes, in your situation a gas heater will work great. And I prefer good jet action over bubbles and I use venturi air to enhance the jets. Merry Christmas.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2014, 05:22:15 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42