What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Repair advise please  (Read 3623 times)

pinhead

Repair advise please
« on: November 01, 2015, 03:27:27 pm »
I'm cleaning my fathers house to sale. He has a spa that is ~13 years old, I think it is a Blue Water by Jacuzzi that was sold by Home Depot or Lowes.
It has not had water in it for ~7 years. I filled the spa and everything works - except there is a leak when pump 2 is turned on. It appears the pump itself is leaking, or somewhere near the pump as I can see water drip off it.
I would rather not dispose of the spa, it is in rather good condition. Is it worth it to have this repaired? Any ideal on worse case cost?

Hot Tub Forum

Repair advise please
« on: November 01, 2015, 03:27:27 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Repair advise please
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 04:34:27 pm »
If you're handy it's not extremely difficult to replace the pump head on the motor. You'll need to get the motor/pump info and contact places that sell parts, the pump part may be between $60-$100; motors can be $300 or more. If it's something else, the repair may not be too terrible to do as well.

renns

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 05:00:17 pm »
If the leak isn't bad, why not advertise it as-is, and demonstrate it in operation with the small leak to potential buyers.  Many in the used market may be willing to do minor repairs themselves, and will appreciate being able to see everything else working properly.  That'll save you the time/expense of dealing with the repair, and still get you a decent buck for the tub.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 06:52:38 pm »
Sounds like the pump seal to me. Run it for a few days see if it starts to leak less. That is a very common problem for tubs left to sit and dry out.
Retired

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 07:04:18 pm »
Put a free ad on craigslist and get rid of it. It will do absolutely nothing to help with the sale of the house. If anything, it will be a hindrance, additional expense and liability for you.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

av8r

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2015, 07:14:57 pm »
If the leak isn't bad, why not advertise it as-is, and demonstrate it in operation with the small leak to potential buyers.  Many in the used market may be willing to do minor repairs themselves, and will appreciate being able to see everything else working properly.  That'll save you the time/expense of dealing with the repair, and still get you a decent buck for the tub.

This.

Lots of people looking to save a buck that would be happy to repair it themselves.

pinhead

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2015, 06:38:00 pm »
Thanks for the input.
I’ll probably just disclose the leak. Whoever buys the home can decide if they want to repair the spa or not, they can always negotiate…..

av8r

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2015, 10:17:47 pm »
I would not include it as part of the home sale.  Sell it now on Craigslist or similar.

amy2421

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2015, 10:25:40 pm »
I don't think I'd include it in the home sale either. I feel like the "negotiation" might be the potential buyer actually subtracting, not adding, to the home price. As a new home buyer faced with a leaking hot tub, my gut feeling would be that this is going to be a major pain in the butt and I'm going to be stuck throwing a bunch of money into or disposing of the thing. ("If it was easy or cheap to fix, why didn't the current owner fix it themselves??")

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2015, 10:25:40 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42