What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: 2014 Hot Springs Vanguard Advice  (Read 14404 times)

BigBird

2014 Hot Springs Vanguard Advice
« on: September 27, 2014, 02:10:47 am »
I'm close to pulling the trigger on a new 2104 HS Vanguard which is listed at $10,800 plus tax and includes steps, cover,lift, breaker panel/GFI and installation. HS is also offering the ACE system free if purchased by 10/29.

I've not yet made an offer and was hoping someone could steer me towards what would be considered a fair deal, or even confirm the current price of $10.8k is reasonable.

Thanks in advance for sharing your expertise.

Hot Tub Forum

2014 Hot Springs Vanguard Advice
« on: September 27, 2014, 02:10:47 am »

mpp

Re: 2014 Hot Springs Vanguard Advice
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 09:55:50 am »
Seems like a fair deal. I recently bought a 2013 Vanguard floor model for $8500. But did nt include ACE. The 2013 jets are a little different (just one Moto DX and one regular Moto) and no real water feature (except a little thing that sounds like the toilet is running). The 2013 pumps are also only single speed while the 2014 has one two-speed pump. However the 2013 has a more powerful heater (6000W vs. 4000W).

See if they'll come down a bit but they probably won't come down much. It helps if you have a quote from a competitor that is a bit lower for a different tub and tell them you're really leaning that way because of price.

Enjoy the tub.

BigBird

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 01:22:21 pm »
Thanks for taking the time to provide some great feedback mpp.......much appreciated.

DaveMc

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 12:01:17 pm »
Go wet test and Q&A salesman on an Optima--by Sundance---we switched!--and we were sold on the Vanguard---to the point we had put 50% down--then switched.

Hot Spring Ace

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 12:59:16 pm »
I'm close to pulling the trigger on a new 2104 HS Vanguard which is listed at $10,800 plus tax and includes steps, cover,lift, breaker panel/GFI and installation. HS is also offering the ACE system free if purchased by 10/29.

I've not yet made an offer and was hoping someone could steer me towards what would be considered a fair deal, or even confirm the current price of $10.8k is reasonable.

Thanks in advance for sharing your expertise.

That is a fair price with all that includes but it doesn't hurt to counter to see if you can do a little better.

f6487

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 01:05:53 pm »
Go wet test and Q&A salesman on an Optima--by Sundance---we switched!--and we were sold on the Vanguard---to the point we had put 50% down--then switched.

What made you switch from the Vanguard to the Optima?  Was it just a price difference or did the Optima seem to offer more for the money?

I'm trying to decide between Hot Springs or Sundance.  I've heard that both are reputable products and they stand behind there product.

BigBird

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 05:41:10 pm »
Wet tested the Vanguard today and fell in love with the Moto's.  I was able to negotiate an additional $500 to get to a $10.5k plus tax agreement....and the dealer included steps, Covercradle II, service panel, starter chemicals and free delivery.  I also received the ACE system free as part of a Hot Springs promotion that ends today.  All in all very happy with the deal, and I really enjoyed getting to know my local dealer.

Thanks to my forum friends for the great advice!

Happy Hot a Tubin,
BigBird

Quickbeam

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 09:32:31 pm »
Congratulations on your new tub! I'm sure you'll love it. I'd also really like to hear how you like your ACE system as time progresses. Maybe consider giving us all some progress reports as time goes on???

Chartreux

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 10:17:42 am »
Congrats and post pictures when you get your new spa/hot tub...

DaveMc

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 12:25:08 pm »
f6487
We questioned the Sundance sales guy---"Why should we buy Optima instead of Vanguard (Sundance vs Hot springs)---his answer in part was---1. The wall thickness of the acrylic is thicker--it appeared to be 3/4 to an inch where as HS waqs 3/8th inch.  2. When we tested the units the seats in the S were higher--better for my wifey who is 5"-2"  3. there is a foot docking station in the floor of the S which goes a long way in keeping you seated and not buoyant as well as a foot massage  4. The cost was comparable-------5. The S has a titanium heater---a cut above Stainless steel.  6 Sundance had an Eco wrap option that reduced the heating bill by 20 to 25% (purportedly)  7. Ther UV light was a nice enticement too altho replacing the bulb will be interesting.  8. The punmp swize on the Sundance is larger than on the HS-------------------The negatives on HS were--with a salt water chemical system does that salt water contribute to failure of the Stainless Steel heater?--After all salt and metal are not friendly to one another and the heater going out is not good and HS does not have a Titanium heater----We loved the moto massage but also thought that there were more moving parts that could potentially break down.----in the end for a Sundance Optima for $9,995.00---with lift, steps, delivery  and start up--that is what we decided on.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 12:43:00 pm by DaveMc »

f6487

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 03:31:25 pm »
DaveMC,

Thanks for breaking down why you switched from the HS Vanguard to the Sundance Optima.  Appreciate the information.  Very helpful in my decision making process.  The Vanguard was never one of HS tubs I was considering because it's in the Highlife collection and it's a little out of my price range.  It also looks like the Optima is probably out of my price range at $10k.

I'm currently looking at the Flair spa which is part of HS Limelight collection.  But I see that Sundance has quite a few different collections also.  I'm going to look at all the Sundance models and see which one fits my needs and works with my budget of $7500 - $8000.  Then I'll do my side by side comparisons of the two models and cost comparisons to see which one I'm leaning towards.  It will probably come down to which salesman is willing to make the best deal.  Even if that means sacrificing a few bells & whistles.  Thanks..

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2014, 10:00:15 pm »
f6487
We questioned the Sundance sales guy---"Why should we buy Optima instead of Vanguard (Sundance vs Hot springs)---his answer in part was---1. The wall thickness of the acrylic is thicker--it appeared to be 3/4 to an inch where as HS waqs 3/8th inch.  2. When we tested the units the seats in the S were higher--better for my wifey who is 5"-2"  3. there is a foot docking station in the floor of the S which goes a long way in keeping you seated and not buoyant as well as a foot massage  4. The cost was comparable-------5. The S has a titanium heater---a cut above Stainless steel.  6 Sundance had an Eco wrap option that reduced the heating bill by 20 to 25% (purportedly)  7. Ther UV light was a nice enticement too altho replacing the bulb will be interesting.  8. The punmp swize on the Sundance is larger than on the HS-------------------The negatives on HS were--with a salt water chemical system does that salt water contribute to failure of the Stainless Steel heater?--After all salt and metal are not friendly to one another and the heater going out is not good and HS does not have a Titanium heater----We loved the moto massage but also thought that there were more moving parts that could potentially break down.----in the end for a Sundance Optima for $9,995.00---with lift, steps, delivery  and start up--that is what we decided on.

Sounds like the sundance guy was just a better salesman.  You did get a real good deal on the tub though. I can't believe some of the prices I see on here

Watersaver

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 11:53:53 pm »
DaveMC,

Thanks for breaking down why you switched from the HS Vanguard to the Sundance Optima.  Appreciate the information.  Very helpful in my decision making process.  The Vanguard was never one of HS tubs I was considering because it's in the Highlife collection and it's a little out of my price range.  It also looks like the Optima is probably out of my price range at $10k.

I'm currently looking at the Flair spa which is part of HS Limelight collection.  But I see that Sundance has quite a few different collections also.  I'm going to look at all the Sundance models and see which one fits my needs and works with my budget of $7500 - $8000.  Then I'll do my side by side comparisons of the two models and cost comparisons to see which one I'm leaning towards.  It will probably come down to which salesman is willing to make the best deal.  Even if that means sacrificing a few bells & whistles.  Thanks..

The Sundance only has a titanium coil heater on their 880 Series. Hotspring has had a titanium heater for at least 8 years, and it is used on both the Highlife and Limelight series. And the Fibercore insulation on the Limelight has a density about four times greater than the 1/2 lb foam on the Sundance. I've sold and serviced both brands over a 20 year period. Each brand has its strong points, which are easier to discover on the respective websites rather than from a sales person's bent.

Hot Spring Ace

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2014, 11:27:53 am »
DaveMC,

The Sundance only has a titanium coil heater on their 880 Series. Hotspring has had a titanium heater for at least 8 years, and it is used on both the Highlife and Limelight series. And the Fibercore insulation on the Limelight has a density about four times greater than the 1/2 lb foam on the Sundance. I've sold and serviced both brands over a 20 year period. Each brand has its strong points, which are easier to discover on the respective websites rather than from a sales person's bent.

I almost responded to some of those items including the misinformation on the heater, the fact that the added insulation might make it close to equal to the Hot Spring, I think the pump HP is pretty much identical... but at that point I figured why bother. It was definitely good salesmanship by someone but Sundance is a good option as well and hopefully the spa will treat the new owner well for many years to come.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 11:30:32 am by Hot Spring Ace »

BigBird

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2014, 10:05:39 pm »
Quickbeam- I'll be glad to provide updates on the ACE system along the way.  Much like a few other comments from the forum, my HS dealer didn't push the system on me, and they were more than happy to provide me with several customer contacts willing to share their experience after my barrage of questions.  One customer in particular had a poor experience with the ACE but admitted he assumed the system was foolproof and therefore neglected to test his water over an extended period of time.....hence the problems encountered.

I really enjoy the varying degree of opinions on this forum, regardless whether I agree or not.  In my case premium spa dealer choices are somewhat limited in my area, so the dealer relationship was an important factor.....not to mention I really dig the Vanguard.

One thing for sure, no matter what spa folks settle on..........we all love hot water.

Happy Hot Tubbin,
BigBird

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2014, 10:05:39 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42