What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: help installing suction assembly  (Read 1988 times)

Sean

help installing suction assembly
« on: September 23, 2014, 01:22:01 am »
Greetings:  I have a sundance suntub, circa 1996.  It was leaking at the suction assembly and I have a replacement fitting on order.  Any hints as to the proper way to install?  It looked like a bead of silicone had been laid down on the outside of the acrylic and the fitting simply tightened down on it when installed.  The only gasket was on the water side of the intake, but also against the acrylic surface.

It turns out the drain on the tub is NOT the low spot, and tubing was cracked from the filter and suction assembly to the drain.  Live and learn.  Every year but one I finish draining the tub by lifting it up on its side for a scrubbing.  The one year I failed to do that everything froze and cracked.  Very poor design by sundance, but hey, the tub is pretty old.  Lots of foam removal.

Finally, I plan on re-foaming with the stuff from Lowes and also adding fiberglass sheet insulation.  I had to cut into wooden side of the tub with a saw, so a little cosmetic carpentry is also in order.

thanks for any suggestions.
Sean

Hot Tub Forum

help installing suction assembly
« on: September 23, 2014, 01:22:01 am »

Kev B

Re: help installing suction assembly
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 09:44:29 am »
 Don't shoot it with foam until you are certain there are no leaks remaining. Even then I would probably just use r-13 insulation instead of that foam spray crap...but be prepared to pay an extra 20 cents a year on electrical bill!

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 11:37:15 am »
Just an FYI, I don't think there's any spa that you can open a valve and ALL the water will drain out, so that there's no chance of freezing in the winter. ALL spas, that are going to be left empty over the freezing winter require some work to remove all the water and "winterize" properly.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

DaveMc

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 04:03:25 pm »
Dr--why not open 2 valves and use your compressor to "blow" out the water?

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 06:34:46 pm »
Shop vac is better. Blow and suck.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 06:34:46 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42