What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot tub through subpanel/generator for power loss protection or...  (Read 13707 times)

watson524

Re: Hot tub through subpanel/generator for power loss protection or...
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2014, 10:01:35 am »
Thanks all. Looks like I'll skip all the "complicated" stuff, wire it up as normal and use the light/drain method if need be (good reason to keep those old bulbs around since the new CFLs don't cut it).

P.S. My husband also thanks you for talking me out of the over-engineering :)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2014, 10:01:35 am »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2014, 06:52:39 pm »
I have a mini flood 75W and 50W depending on how cold it is with a shield and clamp that works real well. And I put a thermal blanket on the access panel if need be. I can wrap a whole tub if I need to and have a tent that I can blow heat into for repairs. But the tent is currently being used as a fish house.  ;D Be safe about it and don't leave it for more than an 1/2 hour, hour before you check the first few times. Make sure it's staying warm in the equipment bay crack it open and stick your arm in there. And by all means keep the top cover closed, lock it down with your tool box. If it's not to heavy. But anything over 32 deg don't sweat it. When power comes on sanitize.
Retired

watson524

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2014, 08:19:43 pm »
I figure if need be I can put the remote thermometer in there so I don't have to open the bay to know the temp. Anyone have any thoughts on those "spa blankets"? It's like a solar cover for the pool that lays over it. I've heard they help extend the life of the cover but I'd imagine they may also help with heat loss too?

Quickbeam

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2014, 11:25:28 pm »
We've used a floating blanket since we first got our tub. Not sure of the extra insulating value as we've always used it. I've seen quotes on here from others about the added insulating value. Maybe if you searched the history you could find it. Only advice I'd have is to get a proper blanket, not the bubble wrap types. If I remember correctly, we got ours from here http://www.rhtubs.com/store/float.htm

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2014, 01:01:57 pm »
There was a "major manufacturer" that did a "quick and dirty" (not real scientific) test of the floating blankets and their engineer determined it added about R-10 to the overall insulation to the top of the spa (including a hard, standard insulating cover). My understanding is that they took a spa that was in a climate controlled room and did a 24 hour test with, and without the blanket, monitoring the overall kW usage of the spa.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2014, 05:35:24 pm »
And about 60-80% (est.) of the wicked off type loss comes from the top. I always advocate a foam floating blanket. Seems worth the extra effort of on and off. There's a small payback if you get the right deal on the blanket.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2014, 05:35:24 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42