What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Sundance Marin and Foundation  (Read 7092 times)

clovett

Sundance Marin and Foundation
« on: August 27, 2014, 05:18:31 pm »
I can't afford the tubs many of you buy.  But I've been on several cruises where the spas had therapy pools and I love how it works my muscles after shore excursions.  After moving to this area I considered one but got sticker shock.  Then I thought about strategy.  I'd learn all I can about hot tubs and do it all myself.  I looked for three months for a real bargain on a fantastic unit.  This is my story and if doesn't work out the innocent (me) is not protected.

First I need a good foundation.  I tried to get one poured but they wanted $800 and that's more than I want to pay.  I got this one done with a couple of blisters for just under $200.

First I picked a location and spotted four intruders

They had to go, no match for my Tacoma.

Dug out the area for my ground contact 4x6's.  The ground here is so hard I had to chisel it out.

I put quickset concrete under the beams to level and set them.

Everything on the outside leveled.

Put an additional 4x6 here simply because I could and it adds strength.  I would have put another across but it wasn't necessary as the ground is like concrete.  There is no give.  Some landscapers have to use controlled charges here to plant trees!

Finished with the foundation, wiring tomorrow then the tub arrives.  Wait till you see the beauty I picked up!

Hot Tub Forum

Sundance Marin and Foundation
« on: August 27, 2014, 05:18:31 pm »

Topline Mike

Re: Sundance Marin and Foundation
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 08:19:42 am »
Still waiting....

AlexMason

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 01:31:32 am »
We are also waiting for your new images of tub and installation.
Post some pics when got time.

DaveMc

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 02:25:18 pm »
They must be on a Cruise!

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 03:02:51 pm »
It appears that you constructed a frame out of 4x6 PT, then filled it in with concrete? Why would you go to the work and expense of using 4x6 PT when it's the concrete that's going to take all the weight and support the spa?????
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

clovett

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2014, 11:09:29 pm »
Sorry I moved on to looking at building the deck or having it built.  I want to build the deck and my wife wants to have it built.  I am notorious for dragging out a project so I can't blame her too much.  I'll try and get some pictures tomorrow.

And yes I did construct a frame from 4x6 ground contact lumber then fill it with concrete.  I got estimates for pouring a concrete slab and it ranged from $700 - $800.  So instead I spent just over $180 and constructed the frame with the 4x6 lumber and then filled it with dry quikrete in 80lb sacks.  After leveling the quikrete I sprayed it with water.  I'm on extremely hard red dirt.  I wouldn't advise doing this on soft dirt unless you dig out 4 inches and allow it to sit for an entire week.   It serves the same purpose as an $800 slab at less than 1/4 the cost and is perfectly level.  The 4x6 stay in the frame and support the hot tub while the concrete cures and become part of the permanent frame.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2014, 11:09:29 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42