What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot Springs Hotspot Relay vs. Limelight Flair  (Read 15951 times)

nzautra

Hot Springs Hotspot Relay vs. Limelight Flair
« on: August 25, 2014, 04:16:24 pm »
Hi folks,

Today I received two quotes from my local Hot Springs dealer: one for the Hotspot Relay ($6,299) and the Limelight Flair ($7,100). Judging from others' responses on these forums, I might have some room to negotiate with either spa.

My question(s) are:

1. What is a reasonable price to pay for either spa?
2. Is going with the salt water system in the limelight flair worth it? There's a special promotion whereby the dealer will throw in a free salt water system with the purchase of a limelight (estimated at a $1,400-$1,700 value).
3. Is there a significant difference in experience between the Hotspot Relay and the Limelight Flair?

I'm looking to decide between these two spas within the next week. Any help you can provide would be tremendously appreciated.

All the best,

Nick

Hot Tub Forum

Hot Springs Hotspot Relay vs. Limelight Flair
« on: August 25, 2014, 04:16:24 pm »

TwinCitiesHotSpring

Re: Hot Springs Hotspot Relay vs. Limelight Flair
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 04:29:05 pm »
$7,100 for a Flair? very odd, that's even below what you can buy them through DirectBuy for...is that for a lightly used or scratch and dent? if he throws in an ACE for free on top of the price and delivers it with accessories the dealer is literally not making any money

nzautra

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 04:40:53 pm »
I thought the quote for the Flair was on the low end, too. I was expecting (as I have read around other forums) of a price difference around 1.5-2k between the relay and flair. I believe it's the floor model of the flair, so that might impact the price. I'll have to ask again just to clarify.

But price aside - can anyone share their experience with either of these tubs? Has anyone tried both?

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 05:07:31 pm »
I thought the quote for the Flair was on the low end, too. I was expecting (as I have read around other forums) of a price difference around 1.5-2k between the relay and flair. I believe it's the floor model of the flair, so that might impact the price. I'll have to ask again just to clarify.

But price aside - can anyone share their experience with either of these tubs? Has anyone tried both?

I've tried both...and as always to anyone looking at a lounge spa I do recommend a wet test before making the purchase...I sit fine in both loungers but every body style/shape and will react differently in a lounge seat so that is why the wet test is recommended.

For the small difference in price there are some nice features on the Flair vs Relay that will easily justify paying a little more...5yr component warranty vs 2yr on Relay...24hour silent circ pump on Flair, More LED lights, more robust jets in a couple of different seats, there is a cool down seat in the Flair albeit small but still a nice feature and as you know you can add the ACE salt system to the Flair for a little less maintenance.

Pholly

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 08:45:15 pm »
$7,100 for a Flair? very odd, that's even below what you can buy them through DirectBuy for...is that for a lightly used or scratch and dent? if he throws in an ACE for free on top of the price and delivers it with accessories the dealer is literally not making any money

I'm a DirectBuy member and the price for the Flair on the members website it $6,499.00. Of course that does not include the ACE system.

My local HotSprings dealer quoted the Flair for $8,900.00.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 08:48:07 pm by Pholly »

H2OTub

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 10:00:39 pm »
I just purchased a 2014 Flair today for $7600.  My local Hot Springs dealer had Labor Day deals of a free cover lifter by financing through the local credit union (no penalty for paying it off early ;)), and they paid the sales tax, which came to $550.  Comes with 3 months of starter chemicals.  Did not include steps, ozone, or salt water system.

I tested a 2013 Hot Spot Tempo earlier in the year...closeout price for that was $5900, and no lifter/steps.  They also had a 2013 Relay for $5400, and some new 2013 Envoys (which I should have jumped on :'() for $8900, or a floor model for $7900.  No cover lifter or steps included with any of these.

I'll be happy with my Flair though ;D

nzautra

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 11:23:43 pm »
Thank you, TwinCitiesHotSpring, H2Otub, and Pholly for your helpful advice!

I went back in to the dealer today to wet-test the flair. Jets were amazing. My wife and I both loved it. While I found it a tad on the smaller side as a 6'1" bigger guy, I still think it's a great buy.

The dealer and I got down to talk prices. It turns out the old quote of $7,100 + tax was for the 2013 models. The new 2014 models, however, are at $8,299 + tax - far over our original hot tub budget of $5,000.

We chatted with the dealer, and got a reduced quote for the flair at $7,250 + tax (if we pay cash), which includes the Ace Salt System (some special promotion from Hot Springs that takes place between September 19th-26th), cover, and utility box (steps & cover lifter not included, but could be added at a 30% discount.)

Is this a reasonable deal? Do we have any more wiggle-room?

Also, I tried reading up on forums regarding the Ace Salt System. The reviews seems pretty mixed. Any input whether to go with the system? As per the promotion, the system will come free with purchase. It seems that maintaining the system over a long period of time (i.e. beyond the 5-year component warranty) could be costly.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 11:24:06 am »
Price is still great.  As long as you manage the ACE system properly it should give you great water, virtually free for 2- years.

The system works well if you understand it.  Not set and forget...
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

H2OTub

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 10:56:10 pm »
I've only started researching hot tubs since the beginning of this year, so take my following statements knowing that. :)

Like you, I've been doing my research on forums like this, and general web searches.  I think the salt water system is a nice feature, but for what it costs initially (which for you would be nothing), and the replacement cost for the generating cell, it would be a feature I'd pass on if I had to pay for it.  I plan to use my tub everyday, so tossing in some chemicals isn't going to be a problem for me.  The only advantage I see for the Ace system is if you go on vacation, chlorine will still be added everyday keeping your water cleaner while your away.

You're going to be getting it free, so I say get it. When the cell fails, and if at that time you don't think the cost of replacement is worth it, just don't replace it.

Also I have a tiny bit of experience with Salt Water Generators.  I put up an Intex pool this year, with the Intex SWG.  My initial dose of chlorine was 3/4 gallon of Bleach, and from then on the generator has put in all the chlorine I've needed.  The only other chemicals I had to add were stabilizer to keep the chlorine in the pool, Borax to raise PH, and calcium up.  I haven't had any algae, and haven't done any weekly shocks to the pool all summer.  I should add I'm the only user of the pool....no kids in it, so that may factor into how clear my water has been. The cell does need to be cleaned in vinegar every month with isn't a big deal.  I have 120lbs of salt in the pool...some people say it makes the water feel "softer", but I can't say I notice any difference from a straight chlorine pool.

The one thing I may add to my tub is the ozone generator.  I'm going to wait though, and see how the water maintenance goes for the first few months.

As for your price quote there might be a tiny bit of wiggle room.  My dealer had the Flair for $7600 regular price, they paid the tax which was about $550, so my tub was $7050 before tax.  If you read the forums on pricing, you'll know it varies a lot.

nzautra

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 11:06:15 am »
I've only started researching hot tubs since the beginning of this year, so take my following statements knowing that. :)

Like you, I've been doing my research on forums like this, and general web searches.  I think the salt water system is a nice feature, but for what it costs initially (which for you would be nothing), and the replacement cost for the generating cell, it would be a feature I'd pass on if I had to pay for it.  I plan to use my tub everyday, so tossing in some chemicals isn't going to be a problem for me.  The only advantage I see for the Ace system is if you go on vacation, chlorine will still be added everyday keeping your water cleaner while your away.

You're going to be getting it free, so I say get it. When the cell fails, and if at that time you don't think the cost of replacement is worth it, just don't replace it.

Also I have a tiny bit of experience with Salt Water Generators.  I put up an Intex pool this year, with the Intex SWG.  My initial dose of chlorine was 3/4 gallon of Bleach, and from then on the generator has put in all the chlorine I've needed.  The only other chemicals I had to add were stabilizer to keep the chlorine in the pool, Borax to raise PH, and calcium up.  I haven't had any algae, and haven't done any weekly shocks to the pool all summer.  I should add I'm the only user of the pool....no kids in it, so that may factor into how clear my water has been. The cell does need to be cleaned in vinegar every month with isn't a big deal.  I have 120lbs of salt in the pool...some people say it makes the water feel "softer", but I can't say I notice any difference from a straight chlorine pool.

The one thing I may add to my tub is the ozone generator.  I'm going to wait though, and see how the water maintenance goes for the first few months.

As for your price quote there might be a tiny bit of wiggle room.  My dealer had the Flair for $7600 regular price, they paid the tax which was about $550, so my tub was $7050 before tax.  If you read the forums on pricing, you'll know it varies a lot.

Great advice, H2OTub, thank you!  :)

You mentioned in a previous post you had the opportunity to wet-test both the Hot Spot Relay and Tempo. What made you go for the Flair over those two tubs? How was the pressure of the Hot Spot jets, if you can remember? I know the feel of a tub can be very subjective from person-to-person, but any insight would still be much appreciated. My dealer currently doesn't have the Tempo or the Relay available for wet-test.

Quickbeam

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 11:59:34 am »
Hey mods,

I had a post up on this thread and it was obviously pulled. Can I ask why?

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 12:18:30 pm »
Hey mods,

this forum has ads....ads make money for the site, you linked to another forum who is direct "competition" to this one therefore post = deleted

Quickbeam

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2014, 04:17:07 pm »
Hey mods,

this forum has ads....ads make money for the site, you linked to another forum who is direct "competition" to this one therefore post = deleted

I've linked to other sites before and never had a post deleted. In fact, I've linked to that exact same site before and never had the post deleted. But if that's the rule, at least now I know.

H2OTub

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2014, 10:50:48 pm »

[/quote]

Great advice, H2OTub, thank you!  :)

You mentioned in a previous post you had the opportunity to wet-test both the Hot Spot Relay and Tempo. What made you go for the Flair over those two tubs? How was the pressure of the Hot Spot jets, if you can remember? I know the feel of a tub can be very subjective from person-to-person, but any insight would still be much appreciated. My dealer currently doesn't have the Tempo or the Relay available for wet-test.
[/quote]

I didn't test the Relay...no foot jets in the lounger which is what I wanted.  The Tempo was only "okay" for me, it is 5" bigger on either side, but I didn't miss that room in the Flair.  I'd say the jets seemed to have good pressure, but they were mostly the smaller "precision" jets.  The Flair has a lot of these too, but also has more of the larger jets.  I didn't like the back jets in the lounger of the Tempo at all...how they are focused on your spine, as opposed to the muscles on either side like the Flair.  Also the 24 hour circulation pump, and the slightly longer warranty on the Flair is a plus for me.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2014, 10:50:48 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42