What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Price/Feature negotiations  (Read 2278 times)

mjb1967

Price/Feature negotiations
« on: August 22, 2014, 05:45:16 pm »
Hello, I'm in the process of shopping for a new spa.  I want to find out how much negotiation can take place on the price and features.  I was emailing back and forth with a Hot Spring dealer and when I said, I'd be interested if the price were $x, he just stopped responding.  It wasn't an unrealistic amount and we had spent about an hour with him the previous weekend.  Now I'm thinking of going with a Bullfrog and I'm trying to see if no negotiation is just the nature of the industry or I just wasn't talking to the right guy at the first dealership.  Will I get better results negotiating features instead of price?  Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Hot Tub Forum

Price/Feature negotiations
« on: August 22, 2014, 05:45:16 pm »

Lionheart_CHP

Re: Price/Feature negotiations
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 08:15:29 pm »
Everything depends on the dealer, but I am a huge proponent for negotiation.  Comparing 3 local dealers I found one priced fairly low but still willing to move, a second dealer with list prices a bit higher, and a third dealer playing the "markdown" game.

I bought a Sunrise S104 and it just so happens that Dealer #1 and Dealer #3 both sold Sunrise as their second brand.  Dealer #3 had it priced $7,995 "On Sale!!!" from $10,999.  After some negotiation he offered it to me at $7200 including UV and the standard extras.  Dealer #1 knew that I was working a deal with Dealer #3 and offered the same tub at $6500 with little negotiation.  Sold... 

mjb1967

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 08:32:19 pm »
unfortunately there's only 1 bullfrog dealer here in Phoenix.

Lionheart_CHP

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 09:34:42 pm »
Just make sure he's aware that you're shopping other brands (even if you're sold on the Bullfrog).  Be an expert on his competition - know everything there is to know.  Let him talk more than you talk.  He needs to think you're considering his tub, but heavily leaning to a competitor.  Negotiation 101.

goodiegirl

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 12:40:44 pm »
I too settled on the Bullfrog but was prepared to walk away if i didn't get something close to the price i was looking for. And i flat out told the dealer that its a want not a need and i didnt want it at the higher price. Waited a few days, and i got the phone call!

Couldn't be happier. Took delivery 2 weeks ago and have not missed a day!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 12:40:44 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42