What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Heating element gets superhot when Jets 1 shuts down - 2002 Caldera  (Read 1606 times)

mscdaryl

Hello All,

Just picked up a 2002 Caldera Niagra hot tub. Working through the issues right now. This spa has 2 large pumps and a small circulating pump, ozone, air, etc. Both large pumps work strong. Something is not right with the circ pump, pump or flow switch. Here is the obvious issue:

I flip the breaker, tub lights up, go through a few codes, then displays temp and FLO. Temp is 95. Circ pump is not turning on, no heat on element (as expected). If I turn on Jets 1, the FLO goes away and heater turns on, tub starts getting warmer. Now, if I turn off Jets 1, hand on the eating element, it starts to get very HOT. It will throw the OH code if I let it sit there, but I usually turn Jets 1 back on, water starts flowing, heating element cools down, everything ok.

So the question is, does it think the circ pump is working which is why it leaves the heating element on? Would this be the pressure/flow switch related, or pump?

A bit more info, as I was bringing the tub up to temp, the circ pump was working, although did not seem very strong to me. They only way I could tell is putting my hand on it, feeling it pump, and also the tub was increasing a few degrees in temp every hour. I could NOT see the water flowing in the tub. It would also occasionally trip the OH error and FLO error and I would have to turn off at the breaker for 10 minutes. It got the tub into the 80's, but around 86 or so, it will not come on anymore.

Thanks for any ideas!

Hot Tub Forum

mscdaryl

Re: Heating element gets superhot when Jets 1 shuts down - 2002 Caldera
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 01:14:00 pm »
Follow up info...

There are 3 wires going to this pump, black, white & green. White & Green have continuity to ground/neutral. I had hot tub on, tested black and it was showing about 118V AC, but no pump activity. Is this confirmed a dead pump?

Hot Tub Forum

Re: Heating element gets superhot when Jets 1 shuts down - 2002 Caldera
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 01:14:00 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42