What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: HS Grandee electrical set up  (Read 4135 times)

mrmojo1111

HS Grandee electrical set up
« on: July 30, 2014, 11:36:33 pm »
I am preparing for delivery and installation of our new Grandee NXT and had an electrician come to bid hooking up the tub. I gave him the pre-installation info sheet from the Hot Springs website, which includes electrical requirements and a wiring diagram. We already have 220V 50A service running in a conduit under the patio and emerging at the installation site. The electrician said we just need to put a GFCI in line where it emerges from the sill of our house, per code requirements. The bid was about $800. Seems a bit high, but whatever. We've used this company before. They do very good work, and are very service oriented, so we want to use them.

Anyway, called my H.S. dealer today to check on delivery status, and we got to talking about hook up issues. I kept saying we were going to get the GFCI hooked up ASAP, and he dais to wait for the tub to get here, so we could just use "breaker box" that comes with the tub, and that it wood save me about $400. My question is, are we talking about the same thing? Does H.S. really send this equipment with the tub? Wouldn't you think that would be stated in the set up manual that my electrician read?

Hot Tub Forum

HS Grandee electrical set up
« on: July 30, 2014, 11:36:33 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

mrmojo1111

Re: HS Grandee electrical set up
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 11:19:15 am »
So, there is an integral GFCI. Does that satisfy the code requirements? Any installers out there have an answer for this? Seems like it would not satisfy the requirement if the spa is considered "portable". NEC seems to say that GFCI must be at least 6 feet away, and in direct line of sight, so an integral GFCI within the surround shouldn't count. I did find a section in the NEC that listed exemptions, and, indeed, one of the exemptions was for integral GFCI, however, I think that is only for indoor units.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 11:21:10 am by mrmojo1111 »

kporter

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 12:14:49 pm »
The GFCI that is sent with Hotsprings Spas is not built into the surround...it is a mountable gfci with a split 20 amp/ 30 amp breaker switches. You can mount it anywhere "within code and according to the manual provided above."

Anytime I have had an electrician supply their own gfci it has been a %100 percent failure rate. Wait for the hot tub to arrive, have the electrician use the supplied gfci and wire up after the electrician has hot tub and gfci on site.

mrmojo1111

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 12:35:26 pm »
OK. Got it. Thanks! That jibes with what the dealer told me.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 12:35:26 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42