What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Spa Foundation?  (Read 2259 times)

cjd17

Spa Foundation?
« on: August 03, 2014, 06:59:32 pm »
Guys and Gals,
I have been completely  obsessed with this forum and trying to learn about SPAS! My wife thinks I'm crazy. I have visited 6 dealers near Chicago- and I'm concerned that I have not found the right combo of dealer and Hot Tub. Perhaps another post for another time.

For my first post, my question has to do with what type of foundation I should prepare for my future as of yet decided spa? I plan to place the HT next to my deck. We have some bushes we can move and a small tree. It is an ideal location, as it will not take away any of our deck/patio space, but will utilize unused portion of the back yard. We will still only have a few steps (3-4) from one of the back doors off the family room.

But, I don't want to lay down concrete here and was considering crushed gravel... as mentioned on the "Before you buy" section of this web site. What do you think of gravel? Is 4 inches the minimal? Should I use pavers on top or interlocking plastic palettes?

CJD

Hot Tub Forum

Spa Foundation?
« on: August 03, 2014, 06:59:32 pm »

mpp

Re: Spa Foundation?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 07:55:46 pm »
More important than the amount of gravel or what's on top is that the soil below is well compacted to prevent settling once the 5000+ pounds of spa+water are placed on top of it. Gravel and a plastic EZ Pad is certainly the easiest. Pavers might be a bit less expensive but to get them level is a bit more difficult. Some people would just put it right on the gravel as long as the soil beneath is well compacted.

Mikes145

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 09:33:43 pm »
My tub was delivered today.  I made the foundation by digging down 4-5" and then used a flat shovel  being careful not to disturb anymore than I had to.  I then put down 4-5" of crushed concrete and rented a tamper.  I made a frame out of treated 4x4's, pounded about 3' of rebar through in a few areas, put 2" of slag sand on the top, and then put 4" concrete block (8x16") from Home Depot ($1.08/each) on the top.  Seemed solid to me and it didn't move when they slid the tub onto the pad.  It was a little work but I also didn't want to pour a slab that will probably crack sometime.  It also helped that I could get the supplies in my truck and could back up to the spot in my backyard.

cjd17

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 10:48:56 pm »
Mpp,
Thanks for info.. I will have ground well compacted and level... No other suggestions from forum so I will assume gravel and EZPads on level compacted dirt is as good as concrete and I shouldn't have any concerns... At least with the foundation :)

Chris

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 10:48:56 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42