What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: 2014 Sundance Optima - power supply entrance  (Read 3066 times)

F499

2014 Sundance Optima - power supply entrance
« on: May 26, 2014, 10:47:48 am »
Just subscribed to the forum, as we recently purchased a new 2014 Sundance Optima.  It's our first tub, so rookies for sure.  Delivery is expected tomorrow.  Patio is all set up.  Pre-delivery electrical work is complete.

We have a question about the power supply entrance.  We are using a 6/3 teck cable.  From reading the owner's manual, I noticed there are two entrance options (front left and front right).  Any drilling required?  If not, is it a simple "punch-out"?  Do I need to purchase a connector for the entrance port?  I would assume from the entrance port to the control box, there is conduit already installed by Sundance....therefore, we would simply remove the teck exterior jacket, and run the wires through the conduit, all the way to the control box?  If you have pics, great.

We'll post install and final setup pics in the other forum.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

F499

Hot Tub Forum

2014 Sundance Optima - power supply entrance
« on: May 26, 2014, 10:47:48 am »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: 2014 Sundance Optima - power supply entrance
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 11:05:27 am »
 Hey welcome!

There is a 1" hole in the base with a removable plug.    No conduit inside running to the control box, I am not familiar with the term you used "teck cable"?    Sounds like you could just run it right to the control box and strip the wires once there?

F499

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 12:02:21 pm »
Teck cable is armoured with an aluminum jacket and black rubber shell.  It is made for direct burial.  Very popular for hot tub installs (at least in Canada).  Does not require any conduit/protection.

The pic I was initially looking at was from a current new install (electrician used regular 6/3, and ran conduit from the entrance port to the control box).  As you stated, with teck cable, we will route it straight to the control box, strip, install 3/4 connector, and plug the wires to the terminals (black, red and ground/green, with white taped and tucked away since the Optima doesn't use the neutral).

Looking forward to tomorrow.

F499

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 09:28:12 am »
After a few days of using the tub, I decided to update my thread on the electrical connection.  Looks like the designers of the tub have never actually connected a tub!  The control box is a real bird's nest / mess.  It's a busy place, with lots of wires.  To add to the challenge, they've placed the main power terminals way too close to the entrance hole for your 6/3 cable.  I had to disconnect 4 existing wires and 2 existing grounds to get my 6/3 in place.  Even with that, it was a challenge.  I talked to a few electricians, and supposedly all tubs have the same challenge (not just Sundance).  What should have been a 20 minute task, took 60 minutes.

The optima has two entrance holes (one on each side of the tub).  No issues there.  We ran the teck cable directly through the hole, all the way to the control box.  Installed a 1" connector at the control box.

We will post pics in the other forum.

F499

HotTubNewb

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 11:31:29 am »
I was told the entrance for the electrical is either corner on the control panel side of the tub.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 11:31:29 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42