What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: "Wet testing" What does it mean?  (Read 6608 times)

mpdrover

"Wet testing" What does it mean?
« on: July 28, 2014, 12:52:19 am »
I'm new to this and have noticed the term "wet testing" a couple times.  Not sure what that means. 

Hot Tub Forum

"Wet testing" What does it mean?
« on: July 28, 2014, 12:52:19 am »

mrmojo1111

Re: "Wet testing" What does it mean?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 06:51:51 am »
It means physically getting into a full tub and testing it.

doodle

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 05:45:59 pm »
When shopping you can "dry test" by climbing in an empty tub and sitting in the seats.   It's good to do, as you can at least get a feel on whether the tub will fit you. 

The "wet test" is getting into a filled and operational tub and taking it for a test drive.  It's best to do, because that is the only way you truly know how you like the tub.  You can actually feel how the tub fits you, how the jets feel and operate.

Even though it can be a little intimidating for a shy person like myself to go walk around the store in a swimsuit trying out tubs, I tell you it's fully worth it if you have the ability to do it.   My husband and I learned a lot about what our needs actually were by doing it, and some of what we learned was opposite of our expectations and assumptions.  Everybody is different, and has different wants and needs.  For us, taking the effort to wet test saved us a couple of thousand dollars by teaching us what we actually needed as opposed to what we thought we needed.

Of course, we knew ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about hot tubs when we started out on this crazy whim, so I'm sure a hot tub veteran might not have quite as much of a learning curve as we did.  But I would think that even people who have had tubs before would benefit from the wet test.     

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 02:47:44 pm »
Ask your dealer for a wet test after hours if your self conscious about it.
Retired

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 11:02:15 am »
Ask your dealer for a wet test after hours if your self conscious about it.

And if your married/attached or what ever it is politically correct to say these days, take both people.  I absolutely loved a Jacuzzi 355 I think it was, but my wife floated in those seats. Had I bought that it would be only me in the tub, and that would cut down my enjoyment immensely.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 05:56:56 pm »
Bring a little cooler with a couple beers in it. And a robe.
Retired

Chartreux

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 07:36:18 pm »
So, far I've done two wet tests and it is scary as I'm so very shy. But I'm also not going to waste a large amount of money on something I can't enjoy, so the wet test is a needed thing to do to try out all the pumps and the jets, and to see how much you'll float. The tub that surprised me was that I floated so much in the Hot Springs that it was not in any way enjoyable and I stayed in the cool down seat...The jets were very powerful on the Hot Springs as well...The Dover we really liked from Sundance and came so close to closing a deal on a Sundance  Capri, that the only thing that held me back is the Marquis Microsilk, I really want to wet tests a Marquis with the microsilk technology, so far local dealer is just starting up with Marquis and has not filled in any of the spas yet...
So, do not put this much money down without a wet tests, especially if your getting it for a medical reason like me...The jets can vary from spa to spa and the amount of float can vary as well...
I have RA in my hands and the knobs on the Hot Springs also gave me a hard time turning them, which is also not good...So go for a wet tests, a wet tests also means your a serious buyer which is what I am, but just awaiting on the local Marquis dealer...
good luck to you and keep us posted on the hot tubs your looking at... 

Pholly

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 04:00:05 pm »
I keep seeing everyone say to wet test before you buy. But I only have one dealer in my area that allows wet tests and they sell HotSprings spas only. I want to wet test a Jacuzzi, but the only two dealers in my area (within 250 miles) don't allow wet test. :-(

So all of this talk about wet testing makes me think I should purchase the HotSprings spa instead. I've never purchased a hot tub before so I'm new at this.

Update: I found another Jacuzzi dealer about 300 miles from here willing to let me do a wet test tomorrow.

I just found out that HotSprings (Watkins) will NOT allow me to do a wet test after all. I was going to purchase the HotSprings spa through a club. And apparently, if you go in for a wet test it violates club rules and you will not be allowed to purchase.

I really wish that wet testing was not such a problem in my area.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 05:17:39 pm by Pholly »

Quickbeam

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 05:22:13 pm »
If you do end up getting the Jacuzzi, I would go back to the Hotspring dealer, and the other Jacuzzi dealers who would not let you wet test and tell them that you have bought a spa, and the reason you didn't buy from them was that they would not allow a wet test. You might be helping out someone else in the future.

Pholly

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 06:21:50 pm »
So true. I have already let HotSprings know it would not be purchasing from them since they would not allow me to do a wet test. I will let the other Jacuzzi dealers know as well. I think they should all be willing to allow wet tests for serious buyers because it is a big investment. I can't imagine how disappointing it would be to buy one blind, then when you get it in the first time, it was not what you expected. That would be awful.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 08:07:09 pm »
It is usually the difference between swirling hot water in one and a hydrotherapy experience in the other.
Retired

Lionheart_CHP

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 08:35:34 pm »
This makes no sense to me whatsoever.  Would you ever buy a car without a test drive?  Would you ever buy from a dealership that didn't allow you to test drive? NO.

You are the buyer,  they either want to satisfy your needs or they don't.  I wouldn't buy from anyone that didn't want the best for me.

Pholly

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 10:25:31 pm »
I totally agree and I love your analogy. When I let the other dealers know why I am not buying from them, I'm going to borrow your analogy :-)

Pholly

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2014, 09:35:48 pm »
Oh my gosh, the wet test does really make a difference. We drove 3 hours today to do a wet test in the Jacuzzi J335, which has a lounger. I was so convinced that I wanted a lounger. But I found it impossible for me to stay in the lounger during the wet test. I kept floating out of it. So, we are now thinking of purchasing the Jacuzzi J345 instead.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2014, 09:35:48 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42