What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hi All, New Guy Here.  (Read 8008 times)

Ivan_Drago

Hi All, New Guy Here.
« on: July 22, 2014, 11:18:52 pm »
New guy here.  I currently do not own, nor have I ever owned a hot tub.  For some reason for the last few months, I've now got the uncontrollable urge to buy one.  Thing is, I know literally nothing about them.  Just browsing through some of the threads on here, It looks like I've grossly underestimated the price on these things.  All in all, I'm looking to put around 10k into the tub, cover, chemicals, wiring, pad/platform, steps, etc.  I didn't want to go second hand, just because there seems to be way to many points of failure on these things, and not knowing much about them just doesn't seem like an adventure I'm willing ot take.  All those jets, hoses, tubes, and electronics make me a little wary of getting something that is going to require non-stop maintenance.  So I hope to go with something new (heck, even last season or scratch/dent), in the 5-6 person size, with a good reputation of quality or a good warranty.  Not sure if that is realistic or not, but thats why I'm here in the first place.

Just wanted to pop in here and say "HI".   8)

I also wanted a place to keep some notes for myself so i dont forget what I've found!

My Notes:
- Do not buy Dr. Wellness / Laguna Bay (Craigslist junk)

- 110v heaters heat at about 3 degrees per hour.  220v heaters heat at around 10 degrees per hour.
- 110v CANNOT run heat and jets simutaneously.  220v CAN run both simutaneously.
- No significant cost savings (power wise) of 220v over 110v.
- Getting 220v service installed can be very expensive.

- Charlotte Hot Tub Movers - In local CLT, Small  = $275, Med = $325, Large = $375.  $50 to drain, $50 to disconnect
- Jacuzzi J-460, 320 Gallon - 220v (approx. 77" wide x 89" long x 34" deep)

Feature Rank By Importance:
- Size - Must be minimum of 4 person, preferably 5-6
- 220v
- Underwater LED Lighting
- Lounger
- Water feature (fountain, waterfall, etc)

« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 05:35:20 pm by Ivan_Drago »

Hot Tub Forum

Hi All, New Guy Here.
« on: July 22, 2014, 11:18:52 pm »

Lionheart_CHP

Re: Hi All, New Guy Here.
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 06:29:34 pm »
I must break you.... welcome to the forum

mpp

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 08:03:05 pm »
See if you can find a new 2013 Hot Spring Highlife. They are changing quite a bit for 2014 models so the 2013s will save you a couple grand. If you can find one you should be able to get into a 2013 Hot Spring Vanguard which has a pretty good track record and all those things on your feature list for less than $10k. I got one for $8900. 

Ivan_Drago

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 08:01:14 pm »
Thanks guys.  I'm mainly doing research for now, just so I can be better informed going forward.  Kind of getting an idea of cost vs. features, so I'll know what to expect when I am ready to plunk down a pile of $ and time.

However, if something just falls in my lap for a good deal I'd probably bite.  Just perusing some state ads a few days ago and found a 2006 Jacuzzi brand J-460 for $3000.  I know that Jacuzzi is a quality name but that any type of warranty is non transferable.  The folks selling it say it's in great shape, but does not have water in it and cannot be tested.  The picture of it looks to be in good shape.  As far as depreciation wise, I've read that tubs can depreciate as much as 50% in the first year.  Well retail was around 10k I was told.  Is $3000 too much for something that old, even with the Jacuzzi name on it?   

mpp

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 08:40:54 pm »
I wouldn't spend $3000 on an 8-year old hot tub that you can't check for leaks, if the heater work, if the pumps work, if the lights work, etc. Run away from that one. Offer $1000 tops.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 11:50:15 pm »
-50% the first year, then -10% each year thereafter. Adjust for over all condition. This assumes you can see it filled with water, up to temperature, and fully operational.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Jewelofpc

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 10:51:18 pm »
Hi All,

First time visitor and looking for a bit of info as well. We are looking at a 2013 Vanguard (Hot Springs is the only brand in town) but wet tested the Envoy and Relay today because they are the only tubs with water at our local dealer. Didn't like the Envoy at all, felt like it was too deep and both my husband and I floated and couldn't stay in the seats. The Relay set okay but didn't really have the options we like in the Vanguard. We are in Missouri and dealer is asking 8500.00 with ACE for floor model (no water). Only concerns that I have are the "float", though the depth is the same as the Relay. And, we want to make sure we are getting the best deal available. We both have lots of pain issues and have high hopes that a hot rub may be our saving grace.

Any and all advice are welcome. :)

Hot Spring Ace

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 04:58:06 pm »
Hi All,

First time visitor and looking for a bit of info as well. We are looking at a 2013 Vanguard (Hot Springs is the only brand in town) but wet tested the Envoy and Relay today because they are the only tubs with water at our local dealer. Didn't like the Envoy at all, felt like it was too deep and both my husband and I floated and couldn't stay in the seats. The Relay set okay but didn't really have the options we like in the Vanguard. We are in Missouri and dealer is asking 8500.00 with ACE for floor model (no water). Only concerns that I have are the "float", though the depth is the same as the Relay. And, we want to make sure we are getting the best deal available. We both have lots of pain issues and have high hopes that a hot rub may be our saving grace.

Any and all advice are welcome. :)

The Vanguard being shallower than the Envoy and being without a lounge should reduce the chances of you floating but its tough to say for sure without a wet test because everyone is different. That price for a floor model with the Ace is very very good.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 04:58:06 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42