What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Fill,empty then fill new tub again?  (Read 2992 times)

im45us

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Fill,empty then fill new tub again?
« on: July 30, 2014, 11:34:37 am »
I hope to have our new Jacuzzi J-325 delivered any day now . On our start up instructions they said to fill tub, let it run a while , empty and refill and then heat and enjoy. Any one know why the fill and empty?

Hot Tub Forum

Fill,empty then fill new tub again?
« on: July 30, 2014, 11:34:37 am »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: Fill,empty then fill new tub again?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 11:50:19 am »
 Does it say that in the manual?  I might have to call Jacuzzi on that,  I would fill it hit the power and enjoy. 

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 12:57:34 pm »
It's not uncommon to do this as a safety precaution. The spa is filled, SUPER chlorinated, then drained and refilled. This assures there's no residual bacteria left over in the spa from the original water testing done at the factory.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Topline Mike

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 04:23:46 pm »
If your tub is around 400 gallons, every once of bleach you add will raise your Free Chlorine level by 1.6.  I would add anywhere from 10 to 15 ounces of chlorox unscented bleach to "super chlorinate" your new tub.  I wouldn't get in the tub until the FC level went below 10ppm FC.  How do you know when it is at this level?  You need a test kit.

There's no sense in filling and draining right away unless you do this decontamination procedure.  A good product you might want to look at buying for this also is called ahh-some. 

im45us

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 06:29:31 pm »
Thanks for the advice. I never had to do this for my first tub but that was 22 years ago so it could be a safety thing like capping the temp at 104 % :-(

chem geek

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 12:03:03 pm »
If you are going to do a drain/refill with a new tub, you might consider using Ahh-Some® as this will remove greases and biofilm.  Superchlorination is OK but Ahh-Some has been shown to work really well and better than Swirl Away, SeaKlear Spa System Flush, Silk Balance "Clean Start", Aquafinesse "Spa Clean" and Natural Chemistry "Spa Purge".

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 12:03:03 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42