What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Gecko board problem / ozonator circuit  (Read 12897 times)

treacherous

Gecko board problem / ozonator circuit
« on: May 11, 2014, 10:16:05 am »
I apologize to just dropping in here like this since it is my first post.

You seem like a knowledgeable group here so I would like to know your thoughts.

[Background]

2000 Apollo Spas Explorer Model with Gecko MSPA-1 / 9911-500102 REV:E
MSPA-1-P122-P212-B2-O2-LS-HV-AMP-T2-AP
4713-01A

Configuration:
-Pump 1 (Low/High)
-Pump 2 (High)
-2 Speed Blower
-No circulation pump
-Ozonator

About a month ago I noticed my tub wasn't heating and traced it back to one of the heater relays on the board.

Everything else on the tub including ozonator appeared to be operational.

One of main relay terminals to heating coil was slightly charred.

I went online and bought a pack of Zettler Relays (AZ2150-1A-24DEF) - http://www.onlinecomponents.com/american-zettler-az21501a24def.html?p=10610392

I ended up replacing the following relays next to P28, P27 and P35.  The one near P28 had the charred terminal.

I got everything back together and score my heating issue was addressed; however the board
would no longer drive power to the ozonator circuit

It would show on the display when ozonator was on but no power.  I re-pulled the board and swapped
what appears to be the ozonator relay (near P11) with a new one.  I also tested for continuity on all fuses
including one that says ozonator and they all check out as good.

Anyone know if there is another relay or chip on this board that drives the power to the ozonator circuit?

I see no other charred circuits or cold soldered joints.

The ozonator worked before I replaced the affected relays but unsure if when the initial heater relay
went bad it sent a surge to something else that still provided power to ozonator circuit but not when
heater relay problem was fixed.

I've emailed Gecko for a detailed schematic but doubt that I will get one in this day and age. 

https://www.geckoalliance.com/

Any thoughts on how I should proceed or do I just need to suck it up and buy a new spa pack?  Could the board transformer power supply cause issues like this?  or is that all or nothing?

I did get a 14 year run on this one.

Thanks!
Treacherous

« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 06:15:12 pm by treacherous »

Hot Tub Forum

Gecko board problem / ozonator circuit
« on: May 11, 2014, 10:16:05 am »

treacherous

Re: Gecko board problem / ozonator circuit
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 01:45:42 pm »
EDIT:  Fixed pictures

I decided to replace remaining relays just to rule that out.  In doing so I tested some of the resistors and found the one next to the Pump 1 low as open.  I need to source a 33 ohm resistor.  It seems I read Ozonator relies on Pump 1 so this is either a red herring and doesn't affect anything or could be my fix.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 05:26:12 pm by treacherous »

treacherous

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 04:16:35 pm »
All the other resistors test out Ok.  Only this one is bad.  I should have replacements in a week and will let you know if this fixes it.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 05:00:35 pm »
 I am amazed you are doing what you are doing, so nice job.   That being said why not just splice the ozone into the one 110 leg going to pump one, or both legs if your ozonator is 220.   Or just scrap the ozone and use a Nature 2 stick.. 

treacherous

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 05:08:10 pm »
Thanks!  Any time I can save potentially hundreds of dollars I figure it is worth some of my time.  :)

I might do what you suggest if this resistor replacement doesn't fix it.  Maybe overkill but I have always run Nature2 with my Ozonator

treacherous

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 05:33:02 pm »
I so wanted to find a replacement today and was going to salvage a resistor off some garbage electronics but couldn't find one in required spec.  This resistor does tone out right to pin 23 for the white/com lead of the ozonator so there is definitely high confidence.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 09:11:54 pm »
While we may be knowledgeable you sir sound like you have it under control. No dip switches that may be out of line?
Retired

treacherous

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 10:45:55 am »
I wish it was a dip switch.  I even thought maybe a hidden software menu but it appears my board pre-dates that capability by a year or two.

Gecko did get back with me but as I expected they confirmed that they do not send out schematics.  As I wait for my resistors I emailed Gecko back on what affect this resistor being out would have on Ozonator operation.

It seems logical to me this is the cause as Ozonator will not run without Pump 1 being on low so if branch circuit from Pump 1 Low is severed then the ozonator circuit is never going to get power.

dunecritter

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 01:29:36 pm »
We have a boatload of spas that we remove from customers homes all the time...We usually just scrap them at the dump but I may have some gecko products in a few...I''ll look if I can make it by the warehouse this week.. If I have something there with Gecko in them I can remove and mail them to you if you want for free parts/pieces? Let me know if your interested.

treacherous

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 01:50:56 pm »
That would be great.  Please let me know what you find.  It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to have a spare power transformer on hand as well. 

My failed resistor theory may not be the smoking gun according to Gecko support.  I'll swap it out anyway.   They say it is only for the Pump 1 low circuit.  It's odd because that works fine.  If resistor replacement doesn't work I will probably do what Jacuzzi Jim suggested and put a spade terminal adapter on Pump 1 wires for the ozonator.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 01:54:10 pm by treacherous »

treacherous

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2014, 09:33:53 am »
Sorry I took so long to post back.  Vacation & work had me distracted on other projects.

In short everything is back operating normally.  What did I find out?   I did have a relay failure that I repaired in thread above but my ozonator circuit was actually fine.  My multimeter (now being replaced) was on the fritz and I also lost the chip in my ozonator.  After replacing defective chip in ozonator with a spare chip I had on hand all is well.

To another 14 years!!  I'm sure I will lose a pump motor at some point though. 

mdehrlich

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2015, 10:35:08 pm »
I wonder if you have any extra relays?  I need one and can't find anyplace to buy from.

kajtek1

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2019, 10:40:22 am »
I know this is old topic, but I have the same problem original poster did and google lead me here since seem we have the same control board.
I have heater power only on 1 leg, so it is not heating.
Found 1 cold solder, but re-soldering did not solve the issue, so seem to me 1 of the relays is bad. Tracing the board, looks to me that not only each leg of 240v heater has separate relays, but I see 2 relays in the row on each leg. Don't know what is the purpose of double relaying, but long story short:
-can I run a jumper wire directly from main wire to dead heater leg?
Having 1 leg under the power permanently will still not run the heater till the other leg gets activated?
I just spend $250 on inverter board for my washer, where I believe I had bad relay as well and it gets annoying spending few hundred$$ here and few hundreds there only becouse $2 relay goes bad.

kajtek1

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2019, 03:48:43 pm »
I bought few new relays, but after taking the questionable relay off, I was able to track the voltage and turned the relay is good, but it is not getting activating voltage (24V)
I traced the connection to this point marked E20 and that is where my skills end as I can't test electronics.
I put the jumper I was mentioning before and heater seem to work, but the pressure switch is bypass and now when timer shut the motor down- it kicked overheat 
Now I contact one of the dealers who sell used board and he ask for the number taken from white label on the board and who is 9936-100270a
That board is pretty old and even I can still get it, is there a good time for upgrade?
What are my options?

« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 11:17:51 am by kajtek1 »

kajtek1

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2019, 11:01:39 am »
To  follow up on my case, I was able to find used board and replaced it to make hot tub working again.
Looks like the main computer got scrambled on old one, as now I can adjust the time, what was not possible on old one.
But if you are not lucky to find cheaper replacement board, my other option was whole new control system, who run about $400 on amazon.
But having two - 2-speed pumps, blower and ozonator was narrowing my choices drastically.
Did use HT yesterday first time since I bought the house 2 years ago.
Outstanding. !

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2019, 11:01:39 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42