What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: New Buyer in Nebraska wanting brand opinions  (Read 40388 times)

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
Re: New Buyer in Nebraska wanting brand opinions
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2014, 12:03:09 pm »
Ryan I am not sure where your getting your numbers from, but looking at HotSpring tubs with circulation pumps, their current E5 circulaiton pump is rated at 6,000 gallons per day, which my math says is 4.16 gpm,  they also claim that the E5 pump flows 20% more water than its predecessor.  Which would tend to pump minimum flow somewhere under 4GPM.

this mean that the circulation pump is not connected through the heater . Balboa require 16 gpm if I remember and gecko need 20 gpm .

what do Gecko and Balboa have to do with Hot Spring circ pump and heater?
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2014, 12:03:09 pm »

DamSam

« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2014, 01:34:46 am »

BTW your brain hurts because your over analyzing every small detail...

Happy Soaking!!!

Some say "over analyzing", indecisiveness, or just plain picky. Honestly yes it is all a little of that but mainly it is trying to make myself less ignorant and more informed in a market that does not seem to have a lot of actual facts other than the great advice I have received here forum from, well, strangers. Even the awards are sometimes ambiguous it seems. Then almost every dealer bashes the other somehow. 1 talks negatively about 2 and 2 talks about 3 then 3 talks about one again and it's a vicious cycle. Plus I do not know about everyone else here but I do not have $1000 to throw away on an oops, much less $6000 for not doing my homework. The first tub I thought I was going to buy was actually a Dr. Wellness / RecDirect tub until I did my homework.

But the end is almost in sight. I have two more to visit, due to some twists that found me today. The Hot Spot Relay had become the front runner until I got two calls this afternoon.
First was the owner of a Sundance dealer who called me and said that they were doing a shipment and they could get me a 680 series Peyton for arox 5200 (right about $400 less than the Relay). It has the Clearay system where the relay would cost me an extra 450 for an ozanator. I have seen it briefly but told them I would be there to visit in a few days with the family to check it out. I thought my search was over.
Then another owner called me at around 630ish. Said he was thinking about my dilemma and wanted to help me out. He got his wife a tub about two years ago (short story) then she passed soon after. He said it just sits there (running) and does not get used. Like I said he said he thought of me and said he should let it go and give me a good deal. I do not know much about the brand and there is not a dealer nearby so I wanted your opinion on this one. It is a two year old Viking Heritage II that has limited use but has stayed up and running. I have not seen it yet but he said it looks like new. He said if I was interested he would let it go for around $4600. Does anyone have any opinions (everyone does) on this model for this price. I am usually a pretty good judge of character and it seemed sincere and I want to see it.
And no, none of these have a circulation pump. Sorry I could not help to throw that in there.
For those of you that have given suggestions offline, I wanted to say thank you and do not give up on me just yet. Soon!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 01:52:10 am by DamSam »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2014, 07:02:00 am »
4600 for that used Viking is to much. IMO closer to 2000-2500 is more like it. They loose value very fast. Vinking make a quality value type tub. Not high end but solid.

Be careful of online dealers that contact you via PM here or e-mail and try and sell you something they say is better than the manufacturers out there with long standing reputations for quality and longevity. That Sundance for 5200 is a good price. Is it comfortable on your backside?
Retired

Isaac-1

« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2014, 08:53:38 am »
Many people trying to sell a used hot tub don't understand just how much they depreciate, they are much more like a used computer than a used car.  They also often don't know that the warranties do not transfer with the tubs.  I would certainly look into the used tub, but as others have said the price is high, so potentially offer less, or if you think you may still be in the market for a bit longer ask him to keep you in mind if he lowers his asking price (assuming you like the tub).

rosewoodsteel

« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2014, 09:07:05 am »
Thanks Isaac, I just got a quote from a Artic factory direct dealer and the Bare Essential line (I figured their lower end) was still beyond where I need to be...

Dam,

FYI, I was able to negotiate prices with Artic.   My salesman drove a hard bargin, but was a good guy to deal with.  I was able to negotiate price, shipping and accessories.      Note also that Artic’sprices are quoted in Canadian dollars.  With today’s exchange rate, this would mean a $10,000 tub  (Canadian) would cost you $9,021 ($979.00 less).

DamSam

« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2014, 11:20:05 am »
I agree, it did sound high but I have room to negotiate if I like it, plus he owns a pool and spa store so I would have him throw in setup/delivery and possibly a 30 day warranty. We will see how badly he wants to deal. I mainly was wondering about quality and reputation. From doing research on here (doing a search for Viking), it seems that they have great customer service and most seem to enjoy their product.

As for the Artic, there is no dealer here. My prices from that are "Factory Direct" prices then I would not have a dedicated local business to service my spa. That is why I discounted them.

I have been upfront and very honest with most of the dealers I talk to about what I want and need then also about what other products I am looking at and what I can get them for. That is when I hear the seemingly common phrase here, "Well we are not comparing Apples to Apples". This is where I usually throw in my analogy. I know it is like comparing a Ford to a Cadillac, but, I do drive a ford and would not trade it for a Cadillac. It fits, gets the job done, and it was worth every penny I paid for it. I hope to have my final decision by this weekend but not in a big rush.
Thanks everyone for your thoughts and bearing with me throughout this long process. 8)

rosewoodsteel

« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2014, 09:01:34 am »
As for the Artic, there is no dealer here. My prices from that are "Factory Direct" prices then I would not have a dedicated local business to service my spa. That is why I discounted them.

Dam,
If you buy an Artic hot tub in an area not serviced by an Artic dealer, you can have your service performed by a local technician.  I contacted a couple of local hot tub dealers / techs that said they would perform warranty work and honor the Artic warranty.   Or, you can get an additional 5% discount on your tubs price, and get a “parts only” warranty.     Put the money you saved in a bank account and use it for your warranty work, as needed, or just pocket it and do the work yourself. 
Artic has good on line tech support if you are a DIYer.   
I know this is not for everybody, but I thought I would share the info.

DamSam

« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2014, 02:10:34 pm »
First, I wanted to say thanks for all the help I have received here.

But the search is over!

I got a deal on a 2014 Hot Spring Hot Spot Relay that I could not refuse. Down payment has been made and as soon as I get the electrical hooked up and the foundation built, I will set a date for delivery.

Thanks again,
Sam

dunecritter

« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2014, 02:23:33 pm »
Congrats! Its a tough decision and you have ended up with a Brand that stands behind the product!

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2014, 06:22:07 pm »

But the search is over!

I got a deal on a 2014 Hot Spring Hot Spot Relay that I could not refuse. Down payment has been made and as soon as I get the electrical hooked up and the foundation built, I will set a date for delivery.

Thanks again,
Sam

good choice, good tub overall...

here's a little teaser ;-)

rosewoodsteel

« Reply #70 on: March 19, 2014, 07:04:51 pm »
Where's the babe?

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #71 on: March 19, 2014, 08:23:16 pm »
Congratulations on your purchase!  For what you were looking for in a tub I think you made a good choice though being a marquis dealer I say you should've bout the marquis!  Lol

DamSam

« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2014, 10:58:03 pm »
Between work and ongoing projects it is gonna be about a month before I can get it.
And by the way that little teaser SUCKS! Not even funny. I wish I had the extra 8grandto get that awesome cover over that one. So jealous of that Covana! For those of you that have not seen the video you gotta see this http://www.hotspringgreen.com/gazebos

I will post pictures wen its up.

Thanks again folks and by the way I met my initial new tub goal, well, close enough.

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2014, 11:03:51 am »
Between work and ongoing projects it is gonna be about a month before I can get it.
And by the way that little teaser SUCKS! Not even funny. I wish I had the extra 8grandto get that awesome cover over that one. So jealous of that Covana! For those of you that have not seen the video you gotta see this http://www.hotspringgreen.com/gazebos

I will post pictures wen its up.

Thanks again folks and by the way I met my initial new tub goal, well, close enough.

;D

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2014, 12:30:02 pm »

But the search is over!

Thanks again,
Sam

Congrats, we will look forward to hearing and seeing more.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2014, 12:30:02 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42