What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: "Blown" circ pump? Read This!!!  (Read 6787 times)

Chiadrum

"Blown" circ pump? Read This!!!
« on: February 19, 2014, 05:23:03 pm »
Update-while scouring the web I came across a post that suggested pouring Muriaric Acid (Hope I spelled that right){AKA Hydrochloric Acid,available at Lowe's-8 bux} down the gray main filter tube that connects to the Circ Pump.I turned off the tub completely and poured a generous amount-probably too much-down the tube,waited for an hour and fired up the tub again.
To my dismay,the tub went right back to all LED's fast flashing again right away,no circulation and no heat.On my way back inside I tapped the "Clean" button to run the tub's clean cycle but I went to bed ready to order a new Circ pump in the morning.
I went outside this morning to check the tub and to my pleasant surprise both LED's were solid and happy and the tub temp was right at 99 degrees as programmed!
No idea of the long term results of this fix obviously but I will report back occasionally.Very interested to see how much time this buys me.
I also have no idea if my improvised "procedure" is correct or not but those were the steps taken and in the end my circ pump came back to life and I am back in business.
WooHoo!

Hot Tub Forum

"Blown" circ pump? Read This!!!
« on: February 19, 2014, 05:23:03 pm »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: "Blown" circ pump? Read This!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 06:15:13 pm »
Coincidence? Maybe. Never pour straight muratic acid in a hot tub. Always dilute it with water no less than 20-1. A 5 gallon bucket with 1 cup of acid mixed well.
Retired

Chiadrum

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 06:24:56 pm »
Coincidence? Maybe. Never pour straight muratic acid in a hot tub. Always dilute it with water no less than 20-1. A 5 gallon bucket with 1 cup of acid mixed well.

OK now you have me a little worried. I guess I should drain the tub? Could I have done any damage? What should I look out for? Doubt this is a coincidence, been fighting this since last week.

Isaac-1

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 07:11:41 pm »
I suspect much of the damage is done, have you checked the pH of the water in the tub since you did this?

Chiadrum

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 07:13:39 pm »
I suspect much of the damage is done, have you checked the pH of the water in the tub since you did this?

No sir. What damage and how do I recover?

Isaac-1

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 07:20:33 pm »
I suspect you have done considerable damage to all your pumps, pump seals, and the interior of your heater, perhaps also the plumbing fittings on the jets and maybe the finish on your tub.  This of course depends on how much was a "generous amount", a pH test now will tell you if your water is still acidic and still eating away at things.  This is sort of like tossing some gasoline and a match inside your car to get rid of an odor problem.

Chiadrum

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 08:58:06 pm »
I suspect you have done considerable damage to all your pumps, pump seals, and the interior of your heater, perhaps also the plumbing fittings on the jets and maybe the finish on your tub.  This of course depends on how much was a "generous amount", a pH test now will tell you if your water is still acidic and still eating away at things.  This is sort of like tossing some gasoline and a match inside your car to get rid of an odor problem.

So the best that I can do is empty the tub and cleanse a few times correct?

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 09:11:41 pm »
Yeah I would drain ASAP if you have not already?   You might be alright, shaft seals shouldn't go that quick.   Same with the heater probably didn't help it any,  but my guess is it will be ok.    Should have taken care of any calcium build up you may have had!   ;D 

dunecritter

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 09:23:52 pm »
Do you have test strips to check your water balance? if so....like Isaac-1 has said...check the PH level...If its way low you can drain a portion of the water out and add fresh water to dilute the ratio and bring the PH up or add PH up to the existing water to balance...it mainly depends on how far off balance you are...I personally prefer to drain some water and  refill to use less chemicals.. Was your tub totally empty when you added the acid to the grey tube??? (24 hour recirc filter tube) or was the water just low enough so you could get the acid in the tube? I would agree that you didn't do yourself or your tub any favors by doing this but lets stay positive and hope that everything is going to survive...Here's what your probably looking at..If there was some water in the tub when you added the acid I would think you will have a better chance of surviving this learning experience! Chemicals can do serious damage to a spas interior and components and even tho we don't see it...the damage is there. Essentially shortening the life expectancy of the components and damaging the appearance of the tubs shell and jets, tubing, plumbing, heater, etc...But test the water ASAP and get the PH under control because if the PH is too low you are still doing damage!

Chiadrum

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 09:36:36 pm »
Do you have test strips to check your water balance? if so....like Isaac-1 has said...check the PH level...If its way low you can drain a portion of the water out and add fresh water to dilute the ratio and bring the PH up or add PH up to the existing water to balance...it mainly depends on how far off balance you are...I personally prefer to drain some water and  refill to use less chemicals.. Was your tub totally empty when you added the acid to the grey tube??? (24 hour recirc filter tube) or was the water just low enough so you could get the acid in the tube? I would agree that you didn't do yourself or your tub any favors by doing this but lets stay positive and hope that everything is going to survive...Here's what your probably looking at..If there was some water in the tub when you added the acid I would think you will have a better chance of surviving this learning experience! Chemicals can do serious damage to a spas interior and components and even tho we don't see it...the damage is there. Essentially shortening the life expectancy of the components and damaging the appearance of the tubs shell and jets, tubing, plumbing, heater, etc...But test the water ASAP and get the PH under control because if the PH is too
 low you are still doing damage!

OK well the good news is that the tub was completely full when I added the acid.
I poured a bottle of spa purge in there and ran the clean cycle. I am draining the tub now and will start with all new water. The ratio with the tub being completely full is way beyond 20:1 with a full tub.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 10:44:31 pm »
 Again just drain it and refill it.   Don't sweat the small stuff, like mentioned any damage would have been done by now..   Not much else you can do unless you want to start replacing parts..   

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 06:56:53 am »
Don't panic you will be OK Your dilution ratio was fine you are right but it is the initial spot you poured it in that will suffer. You said you poured it in the filter right? Check the filter for damage and if there is any it will be in that line feeding the circ pump and the heater. After that it will be so diluted it will be fine but checking your PH would of been the thing to do after that. Acid will drive down PH which means acidic water. And if your PH was OK after no biggy. Just don't make a habit of pouring acid down into your filter and lines.
Retired

Chiadrum

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 07:00:03 am »
Don't panic you will be OK Your dilution ratio was fine you are right but it is the initial spot you poured it in that will suffer. You said you poured it in the filter right? Check the filter for damage and if there is any it will be in that line feeding the circ pump and the heater. After that it will be so diluted it will be fine but checking your PH would of been the thing to do after that. Acid will drive down PH which means acidic water. And if your PH was OK after no biggy. Just don't make a habit of pouring acid down into your filter and lines.

Check thanks for that. Like I said I have done a purge and refill just in case and I will definitely notmake a hab it of doing this!

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2014, 04:25:38 pm »
And get yourself a way to check your PH accurately.
Retired

Chiadrum

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2014, 10:27:00 am »
And get yourself a way to check your PH accurately.

Well using test strips on the fresh water and it looks perfect.Is there another method I should be using?
Also Tman122-could you outline the correct procedure for doing this when you get a chance?This is a much better option than replacing the circ pump every time it has a clog!Thanks for your help my friend.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2014, 10:27:00 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42