What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Tell me watcha think...  (Read 8660 times)

Steve

• Ultimate Member
Re: Tell me watcha think...
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2004, 12:43:38 am »
You guys are great. The Canadian money thing cracked me up Gary! ;D

In the end, she's going to keep the original tub.

We have given her an in-store credit along with a few other things and she's a happy lady. After all, it’s our job as men to keep the ladies happy right? We find that our life becomes easier as a result!!

Beachcomber head office got involved also and is sending her an extensive "care package".

In all the years, I have seen this happen only twice for a color change. The other three I know of, ended up going with a larger model. I don't feel taken advantage of in general as the numbers don't warrant a drastic change to this policy I believe.

The moral of this story is to be more up front with this policy. If a change is needed because of a problematic spa, we wouldn't charge the delivery so I have to think about the wording in any literature.

I certainly went through those emotions Lori when this first came to light. It was very frustrating to say the least! >:(

Thanks again all of you and once again, your insight and advice has truly helped! You're awesome! ;)

Steve

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2004, 12:43:38 am »

Electro

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2004, 06:06:58 am »
Steve,

You must be an incredibly nice guy.

I feel the costs associated with 30 day exchange or refund policy are much higher than you realize.  Your time and effort, plus the mandatory depreciation, are bound to be more like $500 plus 15% depreciation.

I do not know about your laws, but it is clear to me that you cannot resell a previously delivered and used spa as new, no matter how much you clean it up.  You must sell such a spa as a used unit.

I feel you need to revise your policy to indicate reasonable charges associated with refund or exchange within the 30 days.  Many businesses of all types charge 10 to 15 percent or so.  In turn, then you can feel okay about reselling it as a used spa at a discount.  By the way, its a good idea to always have one or more "used" spas at that discount; then customers see that this is real.  And, some will gladly want to buy it at the discount.

My bottom line: it is wrong to sell a used spa as though it were new.

Spa_Tech

• Independent Spa technician
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2004, 12:32:58 pm »
Eletro is on the right track-

The following is my policy-

"Thirty-day Money Back Guarantee- If, for any reason, within 30 days from the date of installation, you aren’t satisfied with your new Tuff Spa, The Wizard of Spas will refund your money, less a 10% restocking charge. (This does not include special delivery and installation related costs - for example, electrical contracting, use of crane, etc.)

"Thirty-day Product Exchange Privilege- If, for any reason within 30 days from the date of installation, you aren’t satisfied with the model or features of your new Tuff Spa, The Wizard of spas will extend the privilege of exchanging your spa for any other model Tuff Spa for the difference in the purchase price plus a 10% restocking charge. (This does not include special delivery, installation and related costs - for example, electrical contracting, use of crane, etc.)"

The main thing is, have something written down- have it explained to them- and have them sign it-- This way there's no confusion, no assumptions, and no way to weedle into something for nothing- In most cases consumers cant go buy a car from a dealer, drive it away, and then decide a month later that its too costly, the wrong color, or is the wrong size... (Saturn looks like they are changing that though...) But just as it is unreasonable to return a car for trivalities, its unreasonable to return a spa-- and not expect some penalty for changing their minds after signing the dotted line.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2004, 01:02:31 pm »
My bottom line: it is wrong to sell a used spa as though it were new.

I would say yes. As you alluded to in other parts of your post, selling a spa with an honest report as to it's history - with a discount - can be and is done.

I have returned one spa under our satisfaction guaranty, but for a different reason: they tried to talk another dealer into selling them the biggest spa (Grandee) and he sold them a medium (Classic)!! They got in it for the first time in their backyard, and it was too small. The dealer wouldn't help, but I was able to sell them a Grandee (for the difference in price) and HotSpring allowed me to resell the Classic with a full factory warranty.

We told any shoppers who were interested in the Classic all about it's history, proudly touting our commitment to customer satisfaction  ;D ;D and had it on display so they could see the odd scuff marks and such - but having the full factory warranty was what helped us sell it.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2004, 04:04:52 pm »
That $250 is not salvageable at this point. Write it off as "the cost of good customer service". Your policy is one I recommend to many dealers and anyone that truly believes in there product will do it.

We have a new type of customer in the last several years bred from the baby boomer generation. They are more educated, more aggressive, somewhat hostile at times and have a philosophy of "I saw my parents make stupid mistakes and get screwed so I'm going to be the taking advantage of not the one getting taken advantage of". It's hard to convince this type of customer that your there to do them right!

I would most certainly make this woman feel that you have gone overboard for her because you know that she will tell everyone her story and send you business. Then I would not have a problem calling her for referrals frequently. Trade the $250 for her services by saying "If we just drop the $250 do you think you could help me recoup some of it with some referrals? If you do I will even go one step further and give you an in store credit for anyone you send in that buys!" This could make it a win win situation!

saz

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2004, 08:00:07 am »
I think you did the right thing too, but only because of the way your 30 day change out policy is worded. As a consumer, I think it's crazy to expect a dealer to honour the 30 day thing, based purely on colour. If the delivery was gonna be too much for them, they should have ordered earlier!
saz

drb

• Official 4 Star "Best of Class" spa searcher... ;)
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2004, 11:49:53 am »
Steve, here's my question:  Are all Beachcomber dealers as good as you are?

Don

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2004, 12:10:40 pm »
No, many are better!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
220, 221, whatever it takes!

empolgation

• you pay what you get it for
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2004, 03:10:14 pm »
I'll settle for one dealer of any decent brand  in my area that compares  :-/
e

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2004, 12:24:15 am »
Thanks Don for your kind words. I'd like to think so. I just do my best to keep up!

As for you Spatech, you & me behind the swings at 3:00pm tomorow! >:(    ;D  

Steve

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2004, 12:24:15 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42