What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: 2013 HS Grandee W/ ACE Salt Progress Real Life results  (Read 35297 times)

dunecritter

2013 HS Grandee W/ ACE Salt Progress Real Life results
« on: February 12, 2014, 10:56:45 am »
My new 2013 Grandee ACE Salt system . I'm going to post my real life personal results as we go...The claims to the Ace system are:  Easy water care, Clean and clear water, No chemical smell and no itchy irritated dry skin. Don't have to add sanitizer after every use. and a few other claims as well.

First start up: This tub was new and installed mid October. I added the recommended amount of salt at time of fill up and the Vanishing act water softener pillow. I noticed my on screen display after 24 hours and reaching temp of 102 was showing in the RED. But my test strips for PPM of salt showed ok??...I drained 30% of the tubs water and topped off without adding any salt and the screen display under water care was now showing exactly in the middle of the GREEN. I did not use the tub the first day but I did get in it the second. At this point I can only say that there was no smell and the water did in fact feel like soft silky smooth water kinda like a shower with a soft water system trying to rinse off the soap. The biggest difference that I noticed tho was the water actually kinda "Fizzled" while jet pumps are on. This is something new...The water just kinda pops like the surface of a freshly poured soda in a glass of ice. This was different and actually very kool I think.
Now at just over four and a half months of normal 4-5 times a week, 2-3 people on average use: I have had to add PH down 4 times so far as my PH levels tend to creep up every 4 or so weeks. The sanitizer levels are exactly where they should be according to the test strips. We have hard water here in AZ and the Vanishing act pillow was a good tool. I have never used one before but it did in fact change my water hardness according to the test strips. I have cleaned my filters every month with the hose and not yet cleaned the salt cell.
Now the visuals and the smells: No smells what so ever at this point and the water clarity is as clear as the day I filled it. Usually without the Ace system I would be changing my water around this point of 4 months.

So far so good. I have saved myself from adding chemicals to sanitize on average 60 plus times after each use ( Saved 4 hours so far!!! think about that! That's roughly a savings of my personal time assuming it would take me 4 min to get chemicals out...add them and put things away. I think that's fair enough to claim), I have saved myself from manually adding chlorine to shock the water 16 plus times so far. (That's another hour of my time! assuming it still took me 4 min each time I had to open up the tub, Turn on the clean cycle ,add chemicals, test and close up and put everything away.) But most important to me...I'm getting more life from my water...I'm not sure just how long I will be able to stretch this water before I feel that it needs to be changed out but at this rate I have huge hopes and I think it will be a reality, so This is actually why I'm doing this post/Review  in my real life experience...Follow along and please post if you have found things to be different in your personal experience.
I don't care what one thinks (If you don't own one than you don't have the right to disagree with my results) and what the rumors are or have been. This is my real life in use experience this far. I will post to keep everyone up to date on my results good and bad.
Just so everyone knows...I sell HS products, I'm not paid by anyone at HS/Watkins to write this post and I could care less what other manufactures have to say about the ACE system (No other manufacture has it) This My real life personal results.
Here are a few pics I took the other nite to show the clarity at 4 plus months old.

Hot Tub Forum

2013 HS Grandee W/ ACE Salt Progress Real Life results
« on: February 12, 2014, 10:56:45 am »

girlinhotwater

Re: 2013 HS Grandee W/ ACE Salt Progress Real Life results
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 12:19:01 pm »
My water is just as clear at four + months using the ozone, silver ion & chlorine method. However, I do like the idea of the Ace system and not having to add chlorine after every use. I find that if I don't add it, I have cloudy water the next day after use. Even if I'm not using the spa due to extreme cold, I still have to bundle up, open up the cover and add chlorine or it will cloud up on me after a few days. I have been thinking about adding the Ace system to my spa down the road, and enjoyed your post and will follow to see how it works for you going forward. Have you had to supplement with any chlorine? I've heard mixed messages about this.

dunecritter

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 12:54:21 pm »
Girlinhotwater...I think your in the top 30 percent of hot tub owners that actually follow the rules of treating your water correctly! Good for you....

I personally have not added any supplemental chlorine what so ever since fill up on day one...I keep my usage level at #4. The system allows you to adjust it to your personal use levels ranging from 0 (off) all the way up to 10 for heavier use. The system also has a "Boost" button that you can turn on that will over produce sanitizer kinda like manually adding chlorine to shock the water after a very heavy out of normal use sitting. The system will return to your programmed setting after it finishes a boost cycle.
I did hear of someone using their spa after fill up immediately with the ACE System once the tub came to temperature and claimed that the water got cloudy the next day....But I think this was a result of using the tub before it had a chance to produce any sanitizer...Maybe the boost button would have corrected that? Regardless, I have been told that you can manually add chlorine at time of fill up and let it burn out and let the ACE System take over from there...

dunecritter

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 02:57:42 pm »
I've been asked the questions about upfront costs and how long will it take to overcome the upfront cost versus the standard Ozone, Silver Ion, Bottled Chlorine setup.
Personally I don't feel that you will ever truly come out on top or spend less over time (out of pocket anyway) on the ACE system. ....Chlorine setup based on 50-60 dollars a year on chemicals, 3 replacement Silver Ion Cartridges, and I'm throwing in a bottle of foam down. Roughly $180 bucks a year...Times five years=$900 Bucks.  So one might think that they are catching up but not really...The cell has a limited life expectancy of 3-6 years depending on maintenance and usage and how many times you boost the system. So altho you may have temporarily caught up to a simple out of pocket wash after 5-6 years as far as cost is concerned....Them bam...Time to buy a new cell! So It's not my opinion that ACE will ever be cheaper....Just better and more convenient....And lets not forget about Going GREEN! My time is worth ALOT to me especially with my young son at home. So spending a lot less time adding chemicals and changing my water less is important to me myself.

Ryan VSO

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 03:14:04 pm »
How much cost the ACE System If a buyer want to add it to their spa ?

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 04:37:21 pm »
 I have heard upwards of 1500.     I think it's a cool system/sales tool and told the powers to be at Jacuzzi to come up with something to offer SW wise but they never will.      It also has it's pro and cons, I don't believe one of the pro's is it saves you time from adding chemicals and or having to drain your spa on a regular basis.   It really doesn't take that long to drain a spa or deal with the chems on a spa without a salt system..      I have two kids at home with 6 acres of property to maintain along with a spa, and I have more than enough time to spend with my kids..    What I would like is more time and better weather to go golfing   ;D

dunecritter

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 05:28:18 pm »
Ryan...you know already regardless what I post.

Jim....your about right on pricing plus or minus depending on dealer and the deal struck. It HAS saved me from adding any chemicals after use (60 plus) times so far and weekly chemical adds. But its unfair of me not to mention once a week checking the water with my strips. that takes me a few min...It also in fact does save me time on changing the water...Jim, you say it doesn't take much time to change the water?? What do you use? A fire truck to fill and an elephant to drain?....It takes me almost 2 hours....I Drain with my large Sump pump with a large 2" hose, and I fill with two hoses, clean filters (which is needed regardless) add salt and ph down. run a clean cycle and re check water. Lets not forget the overall cost for the water...I have a private water company and they believe their water is from the fountain of youth with what they charge me for it. As far as how much time you want to spend with your kids???....I'll leave that alone!!! ;D ;D ;D That was just a joke Jim! >:(

Ryan VSO

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 05:49:46 pm »
Ryan...you know already regardless what I post.

Jim....your about right on pricing plus or minus depending on dealer and the deal struck. It HAS saved me from adding any chemicals after use (60 plus) times so far and weekly chemical adds. But its unfair of me not to mention once a week checking the water with my strips. that takes me a few min...It also in fact does save me time on changing the water...Jim, you say it doesn't take much time to change the water?? What do you use? A fire truck to fill and an elephant to drain?....It takes me almost 2 hours....I Drain with my large Sump pump with a large 2" hose, and I fill with two hoses, clean filters (which is needed regardless) add salt and ph down. run a clean cycle and re check water. Lets not forget the overall cost for the water...I have a private water company and they believe their water is from the fountain of youth with what they charge me for it. As far as how much time you want to spend with your kids???....I'll leave that alone!!! ;D ;D ;D That was just a joke Jim! >:(

I honestly dont know how much it is sold over here , How would you compare this system to the gecko in.clear system ?

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 05:52:22 pm »
  What I do is hook the hose up to the drain, start draining.   I then go do what ever it is that I usually have to do, mow the lawn or something that might be on the honey do list, because I don't stand there and watch the water come out of the hose.   

I comeback after awhile and throw the hose in and start filling, take the spare set of two filters I have ready to go (not 5 that the Grande has  :P)  and replace them.   I then come back after about 35min as I am on a well  and have great pressure.   turn the power back on and spa starts heating...   As far as balancing I toss in a cap of chlorine and call it good..  Wait a day or so till I check the PH/alk which is always high because of the well water..  Drop it to a acceptable range and good to go again for another 7 to 9 months..  When it's time to change it again.   Sometimes I do it at the 6 month mark.    So yeah for me it's pretty easy.    Considering spas have been around without a salt system for a very long time I just don't see changing water as a huge issue for most.   Not knocking it as I do think its a nice system compared to the likes of the gecko salt generator, just not 1500 bucks cool.    Now if I were an average consumer in the market for a spa and HS was offering it for free then sure why wouldn't I, until I found out after 3 or 4 years I had to send 500 bucks to replace the diamond coated plates... 

Ryan VSO

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 06:02:03 pm »
In.clear from gecko is a Bromine generator . When BromiCharge is added to the water, it separates into sodium ions and bromide ions. As the water passes through the in.clear bromine generator, a low-voltage source supplies a current that electrolytically reduces the bromine ions into bromine which reacts with the water molecules to form free bromine. Bromine is known to be a highly effective bactericide and algaecide. This process releases bromide ions back into the water for continuous recycling until the the spa is emptied. It is important to note that the amount of bromine needed will vary in direct proportion to the number of bathers in the spa (bather load).

it works very well when you set up it right , since I havent tried the Ace system what would be the major diffrence . Can anyone explain please ?

dunecritter

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2014, 06:21:07 pm »
Changing the water is a bigger deal for the average homeowner and most don't enjoy it nor have time to mow 6 acres alone! ;) Regardless ...Before the ACE System I was also content with what it took from me to maintain healthy spa conditions and add chemicals including draining whenever needed as I've done more than 20 years now...I highly doubt many people are stretching their water changes to 9 months with standard chlorine ozone systems like yourself.. And that's great but I gotta remember to not join you in a Hot Tubbing event  8)..Maybee you're the one that actually owns the fountain of youth I've been paying for all this time...When were you gonna tell me?:(  Draining....filling and a fresh set of filters....Start to finish= LONG TIME! I have better things to do....especially now that I know how much easier it can be owning the ACE System!

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2014, 07:45:33 pm »
  Doesn't really matter either way does it??

And I only have to mow about an acre, I live in the Pacific Northwest and have more trees than grass..   I do however have a lot of really cool trails through the woods..

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2014, 08:11:09 pm »
Is it worth the upfront costs plus the replacement cell every couple of years though?  Draining and refilling a hot tub is very easy plus with ace you need to drain almost as much. Aren't they still having a number of problems with the ace system?  I have 2 hot springs dealers close by 1 pushes them and the other tells customers they aren't worth it. To me I think its a good idea albeit one that was pushed into the market far too early. For now I will stick to the old fashioned way of dichlor because to me it's rather easy

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2014, 08:16:55 pm »
This post makes much more sense now that I see your a hs dealer.  You omitted that the first time I read this so I see you updated. You really should have put that in your sales spiel the first time lol

Ryan VSO

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2014, 09:12:03 pm »
This post makes much more sense now that I see your a hs dealer.  You omitted that the first time I read this so I see you updated. You really should have put that in your sales spiel the first time lol

He is just sharing his real life experience :). The topic name has not been wisely choosen to appear in search engine aswell :p you are wise Shayne , Jeff made a good investment by hiring you.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2014, 09:12:03 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42