What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Moving a Jetsetter?  (Read 5323 times)

Isaac-1

Moving a Jetsetter?
« on: February 05, 2014, 08:50:49 pm »
As some of you know I may be getting a used Jetsetter this weekend, and if I do I want to go over the moving plan and see if you see any flaws.  I may be otherthinking this since the Jetsetter is a relativley light sub 500 pound tub.  The plan is to meet the seller about half way (100 miles from here), where we will transfer it from his trailer to mine.  So initial loading is his problem and I don't know what type of trailer he is bringing, seller is an electrician that removed tub for home owner so has moved it before.  The trailer I am taking is an 18 ft flat metal deck car hauler with a 2 ft dove tail end.    I plan to take a couple of 8 ft planks, a small furniture dolly and a 2 wheel general purpose dolly along with a varitety of straps and a small cable hoist, plus the trailer has a 3,000 pound winch.  If his trailer is lower than mine we will load end to end to take advantage the dovetail end, if it is taller we will probably load as T along the front side of mine to the back of his.  Sliding the tub across on the planks, possibly using dolly's  (will it be safe to slide on the bare metal deck to position?)

The Jetsetter comes with a cover, which I was thinking about carrying in place covering with a 12x12 nylon strap cargo net / sling which will be fastened to the trailer along with a couple of other hold down straps.

Upon getting home I was thinking about lifting one side, and putting the cargo sling under the tub, then using it to wrap and lift the tub off the trailer with a front end loader tractor I can borrow from the family farm.  Then drop it near its final home, sliding it the last 10-15 feet on concrete decking.

What do you think, any flaws?

Hot Tub Forum

Moving a Jetsetter?
« on: February 05, 2014, 08:50:49 pm »

Pers Onal

Re: Moving a Jetsetter?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 08:00:30 pm »
sliding it the last 10-15 feet on concrete decking.

I wouldn't slide it.

I would roll it.

Buy 1.5  PVC, maybe smalller - IIRC, smaller is better.

Put 5 or 6 sections under the tub and roll the tub along, as the tub rolls past one section of pvc take it and put it in the front, using the pvc as rollers. Probably need 8 sections or so under the tub

May be able to use them on the transfer as well.

This is how we moved mine upon installation and I understand it is commonly done.

It was 13 years ago so my memory is hazy on size. Worked great rolling it along the deck.

Isaac-1

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 06:13:45 pm »
Well I just made it home, bought the Jetsetter, turns out to be a 98 model.  It is still on the trailer, I am taking a break from driving for a minute before unloading it.  One issue came up, the seller broke the fitting on the hose connecttion for the drain valve while loading it on his trailer, so I will have to come up with a fix for that.  I am going to try a hose splice kit and silicone glue since it is low pressure I hope it will hold.  I will let everyone know what happens once I get water in it tonight or tomorrow.  On a side note the HS web site only has manuals back to 1999, does anyone know if the 99 and 98 manuals are the same?

thanks

dunecritter

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 10:43:35 pm »
I'm not sure if I would try and half azz a fix on  that cracked fitting...Hot Spring dealer can sell you a brand new part for that so you won't have a drizzling leaking tub in the near future because we all know it will leak just because we thought we fixed it ya know! Just my personal opinion....Is the right part?? http://hotspringsupply.com/index.php/plumbing/pump-drain-fitting.html
It's only $2.99. Hope this helps

Isaac-1

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 12:12:55 am »
If only it were that easy, on mine the hose adapter was a PVC fitting which was glued into the shut off valve which is sandwhiched between the base of the tub and the floor of the equipment area leaving only a large enough hole for the round drain valve knob to be exposed.

like this one http://hotspringsupply.com/index.php/drain-valve.html

dunecritter

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 09:34:27 am »
Yeah...looks to be a bit more involved...Good luck....Since he broke it did this guy offer a discount for his oopsie? Just curious....I hope you fix it easily...I hope it gets installed easily...and I hope it WORKS correctly when you do your start up...That will be a nice day!!!

Isaac-1

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 09:33:42 pm »
Well it is in place, getting it the last 20-30 feet was a bit more work than I had planned, but it is there now.  I have good and bad news, first off my drain patch leaked, (and no the seller did not offer a discount, but did apologize for it, neither of us thought it would be a big deal to fix at first glance) so I am redoing it with more silicone glue.  No major leaks, the gasket in the secondary drain cap was folded over and stiff, I borrowed one from a garden hose for now.

The real only problem is the circulation pump, which just hums, I tried priming it by putting a hose down the center filter while filling, wiggled the hoses some, got a air bubble out, but still no flow.  The heater does get hot, or it did until I unplugged it to sort out the circulation pump.  I just assumed the Freshwater II ozonator was dead, so I am replacing it with a Del APG-U ozonator, wow is it smaller, I am just one hose barb fitting short.

I am going ahead and replacing the circulation pump, and I plan to replace the 3/4 inch hoses while I am at it, as the old ones seem yellowed and may be a bit brittle, can I use common hardware store clear vinyl hose?  If I get the old circulation pump going I will just keep it as a spare.

So far I probably have $1,550 invested in this project and the tub looks good, just a few small dings short of show room condition, including the Hot Spring branded cover and lifter.  I assume it spent its whole life indoors.

$1,000 for the tub

$75 for cost of pick up, fuel, etc.

$90 Del ozonator

$200 Wiring / GFCI, etc

$160 New circulation pump

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 09:33:42 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42