What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Bullfrog energy efficency  (Read 12343 times)

TKSprinter

Bullfrog energy efficency
« on: January 01, 2014, 08:07:24 pm »
Bullfrog literature claims to have superior energy efficency versus all other manufacturers. This includes almost twice the efficency versus Jacuzzi. Comments, and hopefully facts (comparisons) of efficencies are desired.

Hot Tub Forum

Bullfrog energy efficency
« on: January 01, 2014, 08:07:24 pm »

Mudheadsports

Re: Bullfrog energy efficency
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 09:01:03 pm »
We've seen that too......we are going to see one either tomorrow or Friday......will be interested to hear what other responses are.....good luck!!!!!

Ryan VSO

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 09:24:43 pm »
You always have to be carefull with the manufacturer statement . Normally they do those test in a lab with no wind and a ambient  temperature of 7 - 20  degrees celcius . they should also say how many times they used the tub and for how long . Just budget 400 $ a year and you wont be dissapointed . It also depend where do you live . It also depend how much you are paying per kwh .

A 2011 jacuzzi 470 cost 650 $ / year , 7 cent per kwh , 4 times a week 30 minutes each , in a climate that temperature go below 0 celsius for 5 months / year .

im pretty sure that the same jacuzzi in california would cost 250/ year .

If bullfrog cost lets say 100 $ less per year to run  but cost 1500 $ more when you make your purchase then you need to keep it 15 years . Artic Spa always use this excuse for their high priced tubs

rosewoodsteel

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 10:44:47 pm »
One of the more interesting and difficult things you encounter when deciding on a hot tub is trying to determine how much energy it uses.  I can't tell you how many websites I've visited in my search for a hot tub.   Invariably, each manufacturer not only said that their tubs were the best in the business, but each said that their tubs were the most efficient.    I’m sure Bullfrog makes a good, efficient tub.   I’m just as sure that there are other manufacturers that are good and efficient, as well. 

The Frog may be giving you a little Bull..

rosewoodsteel

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 10:56:31 pm »
Artic Spa always use this excuse for their high priced tubs

Vortex,
Why do you have to bash other manufacturers when the question was about Bullfrog?  I could mention one spa manufacturer claiming that their spas "adapt to their ambient environment", or some such rubbish....     
And, regarding your statement, I can assure that the price I just paid for my Artic is comparable to that of their legitimate competition. 

Ryan VSO

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 11:38:00 pm »
Bullfrog literature claims to have superior energy efficency versus all other manufacturers. This includes almost twice the efficency versus Jacuzzi. Comments, and hopefully facts (comparisons) of efficencies are desired.

It was bullfrog vs jacuzzi ....

TKSprinter

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 11:39:18 pm »
First of all thanks for all the replies. Here is the specific claim from Bullfrog.
Watts used at 60 degrees F, Water at 101 degrees F, and cost at $.10 per kilowatt:
Bullfrog - A7L 164 watts
Hot Springs - Envoy 175 watts
Caldera - Geneva 229 watts
Sundance - Cameo 252 watts
Jacuzzi - J465 261 watts.
 While this doesn't give dollar results expected from each spa, it does give a good relative comparison between the spas - IF THE DATA IS VALID.
It does state a monthly operation cost of $11.81. If this was at 60 degrees ambient and only 101 degrees spa temp, the potential savings could be significant in comparison to rival brands and lower ambient temps; possibly as much as $14 to $15 per month. This could be close to $200 per year.
This data is in Bullfrog's sales literature and states "figures published by the California Energy Commission." I would think some rival manufacturer would challenge these claims if they were not legitimate, possibly in court. Any thoughts, anyone???

Ryan VSO

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 11:45:36 pm »
Artic Spa always use this excuse for their high priced tubs

Vortex,
Why do you have to bash other manufacturers when the question was about Bullfrog?  I could mention one spa manufacturer claiming that their spas "adapt to their ambient environment", or some such rubbish....     
And, regarding your statement, I can assure that the price I just paid for my Artic is comparable to that of their legitimate competition.

Artic spas are nice tub and I like them I just said that their sales person tell custumers they will pay less for their electricity bill and that will compensate for the prices their paying for their tub when they will actually save maybe 100-150 $ year max and will be ending up paying more for the tub .

meriflower

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 11:51:54 pm »
One of the more interesting and difficult things you encounter when deciding on a hot tub is trying to determine how much energy it uses.  I can't tell you how many websites I've visited in my search for a hot tub.   Invariably, each manufacturer not only said that their tubs were the best in the business, but each said that their tubs were the most efficient.    I’m sure Bullfrog makes a good, efficient tub.   I’m just as sure that there are other manufacturers that are good and efficient, as well. 

The Frog may be giving you a little Bull..

Frog giving you a little bull - LOL!  I agree as during my search no matter which site I was on each manufacturer said that they were best efficiency, best jets, etc etc.  Dealers can be even worse, spend more time bad mouthing their competition vs talking about the brand they sell.  Big turn off!  As for Bullfrog, we are getting a 2013 R6L delivered and installed next week Wednesday.  It is replacing our 06 Marquis Epic.  I can let people here know if I see a difference between the two.  I'm expecting to see about the same as IMO both are efficient tubs.

I did find that this posting on this forum some years ago talking about energy efficiency.

http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/forum/index.php/topic,12485.msg155766.html#msg155766

Ryan VSO

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 11:52:59 pm »
how much were you paying per year for your marquis and where do you live ?

meriflower

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 01:21:34 am »
It's been awhile since I looked - will do so so can see if there is a change once we change spas.  Live in MN where it gets very cold (ugh!) however my spa is inside our garage and not outside.  The garage is not heated but its protected from sun, rain, snow, and wind.

Mudheadsports

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2014, 09:00:01 am »
Here's my 2 cents......California energy commission?  The state is bankrupt.....I don't think accurate math is somehing I would count on from them........just sayin.....

meriflower

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2014, 09:15:49 am »
Speaking of CEC went to their website and found a listing of all different spas.  Did a compare of my two:

http://appliances.energy.ca.gov/Compare.aspx

rosewoodsteel

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2014, 09:32:19 am »
Here's my 2 cents......California energy commission?  The state is bankrupt.....I don't think accurate math is somehing I would count on from them........just sayin.....

I believe it was California that gave us those God awful gas cans that are so hard to use.
At any rate, any information on energy efficiency is appreciated.   
But, Mudhead, I was astounded at all of the studies and paperwork California has on this subject, as well as global warming's impact on everything from the San Francisco bay, to freshwater fish (and a 1000 other things in between).  It's no wonder they are broke.

Mudheadsports

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2014, 12:05:42 pm »
Rosewood, rosewood, rosewood.......it's climate change don't you know?!?!?!  It fits better with the research.....warmer in the summer.....climate change, cold in the winter....climate change!!!!!  Ugh.....ok jan 2 I'm just laughing!!!!  And yes this is screaming sarcasm!!!!!!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2014, 12:05:42 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42