What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Here's something for you  (Read 8205 times)

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Here's something for you
« on: December 23, 2013, 05:47:41 pm »
On Saturday 12-21-2013 at 6:30 PM my furnace stopped working. The heat exchanger is cracked on a 10 year old Payne/Carrier. The outside temp at the time was 10 above zero. Saturday evening the temp dropped to -14F Sunday another day of 10 above and Sunday night -15. I have a couple of electric heaters and my propane fish house heater working overtime to prevent plumbing freeze up and keep it tolerable in the house. I left for work today and gave the dog explicit instructions on what to do if one or both of the two heaters or wiring failed and it started to either smoke (a prelim to catching on fire) or gave up. I was gone for 7 hours and the temp dropped to 62 from the 80 degrees I had it up to when I left.

This my friends is a testament to the work I have done on insulation, new windows and doors to seal up and make my house efficient in the winter. My new furnace arrives on Thursday and I should have it installed and up and running on Thursday evening, I hope. Tonight -18 predicted and Tuesday night 5 above. Wednesday night back to -12 I hope my house survives. I think I can do it.

Preventing hot tubs from freezing is easy compared to this.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

Here's something for you
« on: December 23, 2013, 05:47:41 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: Here's something for you
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 06:42:59 pm »
 The company I work for also does HVAC those guy have been going bonkers fixing and installing new furnaces.   It's amazing how many after hour calls they get and the people willing to spend the 100 dollar call out fee to fix a furnace and were no where near as cold you guys get. Lowest I hit was 16* one night.    I do have a heat pump with a wood stove as back up, when it's that cold I fire up the wood stove anyway, for one I love the heat from it and I have 6 acres worth of trees plus if my HP isn't running I am saving on the power bill.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 08:12:13 pm »
I have been thinking about a wood stove. My insurance rates will go up and I would have the extra work of getting the wood. I have plenty available for free also but is it truly free? I suppose it's time to start gathering info after this.
Retired

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 08:31:16 pm »
 Never heard of insurance going up, I sell probably 75 wood stoves a year.. 

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 11:01:40 pm »
I guess they consider wood heat more of a risk than forced air. What kind of stove should I be looking at?
Retired

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 05:46:08 pm »
So it took 6 days to get and install a new Carrier 97.8% efficient variable heat and fan speed furnace. All in it was 2400 for the furnace and I will get a 650 warranty credit for a bad heat exchanger. And my propane company will give me a 200 dollar rebate for installing a 92% or better HE furnace. I hope this one last's for 20 years. I'll be 75 or dead. I managed to get by on electric space heaters but I think my meter was smoking it was spinning so fast. The coldest day was -26 and it was 43 above 2 days later.
Retired

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 05:54:38 pm »
  Nice and good price on that furnace,  we are a carrier dealer as well and I have been happy with the one in my home also!

As far as wood stoves go I guess it depends if you was a cast iron type or steel.   Steel heats quicker cast iron takes a bit longer it to also has a greater clearance requirements walls. A lot depends on a look you or the "wife" might want.   We carry Quadrafire, Avalon and Jotul brands.   All are really decent stoves and in the same price ranges for the most part.   

Stay warm!!   Jim 

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 09:48:36 pm »
Good stuff. Never thought of clearance, have to look at that. No wife and I want something that looks like a wood stove. Flat on top so I can set an old coffee pot on top with water in it. Black with a black pipe. And a built in fan.
Retired

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 10:46:39 pm »
 I would look at Jotul or Hearthstone..    Fans are always optional on most.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 10:46:39 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42