What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Gfci Installation  (Read 8909 times)

Ryan VSO

Gfci Installation
« on: December 23, 2013, 02:28:10 pm »
Hi , could any of you tell me the reason we cant install the gfci breaker inside the cabinet ( between cabinet and shell ) .. I know theres a 10 feet rules but I would like to have a clear explanation on that is possible .

thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Gfci Installation
« on: December 23, 2013, 02:28:10 pm »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Gfci Installation
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 05:51:00 pm »
Our code reads within sight and a minimum of 10 feet from the tub. My guess is that this prevents dopey humans from reaching out while in the tub and flipping the breaker which could potentially put them in harms way.
Retired

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 06:36:49 pm »
 Ours is not closer than 5'  re-guarding putting it in the cabinet even if you could, I wouldn't want it there for a couple of reasons..

Ryan VSO

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 08:17:26 pm »
Alright thanks

petals20

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 07:41:20 am »
On the topic of CFGC install with the 230v out let can somebody Please tell me why is it ridiculously, absurdly expensive to have one installed by an electrician. My install last week was $800 which I was told by my dealer is a steal and that most guys charged about $1200-1400. That is just crazy,..1200 for 3 hrs of work.

Ok if the parts are about 400 then my labor cost was 400 for 3 hrs of work. And it's not really not that complicated or heavy manual labor. It's maybe a bit more entailed than say a Directv dish & cable installation but can they charge that kind of labor. I can think of more difficult, physically involved work than that but they don't quote that price.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 11:12:24 am »
Licensing, bonding, liability insurance, workers compensation, advertising, drive time, wear and tear on a truck, vehicle insurance, time to pick up materials, time to estimate the job, phones (cell and land line), office furniture and other expenses, bookkeeping expense, self employment taxes, management, other overhead, wages, health insurance, more taxes....and probably a bunch of other stuff I forgot.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 01:14:39 pm by Dr. Spa™ Ret. »
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 11:40:48 am »
On the topic of CFGC install with the 230v out let can somebody Please tell me why is it ridiculously, absurdly expensive to have one installed by an electrician. My install last week was $800 which I was told by my dealer is a steal and that most guys charged about $1200-1400. That is just crazy,..1200 for 3 hrs of work.

Ok if the parts are about 400 then my labor cost was 400 for 3 hrs of work. And it's not really not that complicated or heavy manual labor. It's maybe a bit more entailed than say a Directv dish & cable installation but can they charge that kind of labor. I can think of more difficult, physically involved work than that but they don't quote that price.

If you really want to be insulted I just bought a 50 AMP GFCI recently because my old one wouldn't trip - I paid $95 for the breaker. It costs money to have a professional do anything because of what Doc said.

Oh, and I think the reason why it has to be visible and not buried somewhere is in case some is being electrocuted and the breaker doesn't trip - you can manually flip it off.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 11:43:12 am by Vinny »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 01:05:42 pm »
Mr. Jones goes to work. Mrs Jones notices the hot tub isn't working and calls for service. Service tech comes out to work on the spa. Mr. Jones returns from work, and notices the breaker for the spa is off. So he flips it back on. Service tech is electrocuted and dies.

There's at least two documented cases of this happening. It wouldn't happen if the service tech could have SEEN the breaker, from the spa.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 02:09:03 pm »
Mr. Jones goes to work. Mrs Jones notices the hot tub isn't working and calls for service. Service tech comes out to work on the spa. Mr. Jones returns from work, and notices the breaker for the spa is off. So he flips it back on. Service tech is electrocuted and dies.

There's at least two documented cases of this happening. It wouldn't happen if the service tech could have SEEN the breaker, from the spa.

I work on medical equipment, I have a lock out/tag out kit specifically for this reason. I usually work on stuff with a plug and I make sure that plug is somewhere where I can see it and since I'm getting older and seems that I can't remember $h*t at times I may look at that plug a few times during my service call!

aeajr

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2014, 04:23:00 pm »
I did the wiring myself, all to code. 240V 50 amp.   Cost me about $650 in wire and materials.   I was quoted about $1500 to have it done.

I have done a lot of house wiring and all has passed inspection, so I am quite confident to do such things.  But it is not a job for a first time DIY. 

You need to read the codes, both nationally and locally.  You need to make sure about permits and such.   And make sure it is done right or you could put someone in harms way.  A lot of people misswire the GFI breaker and either have frequent breaker trips or the potential for a shock hazard.

Either put in the time to know how to do it right or have a pro do it.  Pay him the money and respect is training and his knowledge.  That is what you pay for, not his hours.

If you are going to do this yourself, little videos like this can help you prepare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KVrVcpEgpw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6g8NcKOQP8

Make sure you know what size wire to use AND check to see what size ground is required by local code.

Note that if you have steel mesh in your concrete pad you may  have to provide a ground connection to that grid.   Check the code!   I do not have wire in my pad.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 04:36:19 pm by aeajr »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2014, 04:23:00 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42