What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: New hot tub owner, few questions  (Read 6469 times)

Mike710_0

New hot tub owner, few questions
« on: September 10, 2013, 03:03:25 pm »
Hi all

Got my new hot tub Saturday and am having it wired up soon. I got a chemical pack containing the following:

Dispenser with bromine tablets
Spa clarifier
Filter cleaner
Spa no foam
Chlorine granules
Ph plus
Ph minus

When it's been filled with water what chemicals do I add? I know I have to wait 12 hours after adding chemicals plus for water to heat up.

Also what's best way to empty it? I was going to use drain valve but heard it takes ages. My tub also leaves a lot of water in the foot well. I can only think of using a submersible pump which will hardly leave much water.

Cheers guys

Hot Tub Forum

New hot tub owner, few questions
« on: September 10, 2013, 03:03:25 pm »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: New hot tub owner, few questions
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 06:22:15 am »
Take some of the water your going to use and put it in a glass and test it. Then we can tell you what you need besides chlorine granuals.
Retired

Mike710_0

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 07:09:56 am »
Thanks for your reply

Test results

Ph 6.2
alkalinity 80
chlorine 0
ppm stabilizer 0

Not sure if this helps at all but its a link to water quality in my area

http://www.unitedutilities.com/waterquality.aspx?postcode=ch66+1tx

goneaway

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 07:55:21 am »
Hi Mike.

From my experience on my 350gallon tub.
1 tablespoon of chlorine will increase the chlorine by about 2ppm.
As you're ideally aiming for somewhere between 3-5ppm, then I'd start with 1.5 tablespoons and take another reading.
Also be aware, it's not so called "fire and forget".
Chlorine will dissipate.
Without use then probably over night, with use maybe within a few hours.
Adding chlorine, generally affects the PH also.

Personally, I wouldn't use the No Foam if it's the same stuff i've tried.
While it does kill the foam, it does create a horrible slimey scum.

Learning how to maintain the correct levels is a mine field, but only for a few weeks until you find what works for you.
I would recommend documenting what you've learnt until your happy that everything is satisfactory.
I've also written instructions on the side of the chemical packs for my daughters.

My regime is currently as follows.

I Fill the tub with water from my domestic hot water and some fresh cold water mixed.
This gives me a head start on getting it up to temperature.
I'm usually already at 32°C at this stage.
While it's then coming up to final temp, i'll add add a good dose of non chlorine shock.
Leave with the pumps running for an hour.
Add 2 tablespoons of chlorine or bromine (but not both) and allow it to fully come up to temperature.
Take another reading and start making subtle adjustments, to the chlorine or bromine levels and then to the ph if i need to.
I find 1 tablespoon of PH+ will affect the PH by 0.4ppm, you need to be aiming for around 7.0, so based on your current readings i'd probably add 2 tablespoons and take another reading. Incidentally, I'm not on a water meter, and have solar panels on the roof, so changing the water and reheating it, is of little financial detriment to me.
I'm currently changing the water about every 4-6 weeks.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 08:21:37 am by keat63 »

goneaway

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 10:50:04 am »
Mine takes about 5-6 hours to empty using the drain tap, and about 2.5 to refill.
My drain is in the foot well, and I usually drain mine over night.

Mike710_0

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 05:18:04 pm »
Thanks for the info it's really helpful

From the chemicals I mentioned we had and I think i understand the 3 most important things to test for are ph, alkalinity and calcium hardness but from reading the internet it doesn't seem like we have enough chemicals, have we got enough to do what we need to do? Not sure what to use to adjust the alkalinity and calcium hardness what do you use?

Cheers
Mike

goneaway

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 03:26:31 am »
I generally get by with Sanitiser (Chlorine or Bromine), PH+/PH- and Non Chlorine Shock.

At the moment your PH of 6.2 is slightly acidic, adding chlorine will affect the PH, making it more alkaline. Youll probably find that it falls right where it should be. (it does for me)
Maybe a tiny amount of tweaking with PH+ or PH-, around 7.0 - 7.2 is what your'e aiming for.

However, be aware that the chlorine levels will tail off, so will require a top up.

They say that it helps to shock the tub regularly, this burns off chloramines (a by product of chlorine).
Shocking invloves putting something like 10 times the normal amount of chlorine in, which of course means that you can't use the tub for a few days until it's dissipated.
Alternatively, non chlorine shock requires about 2 tablespoons, with the tub back in use within an hour.
I shock mine at least twice per week, once when it's been unused all week, then again after the weekend.
As for hardness, i'm still trying to figure that one out.

I was exactly in your shoes 4 months ago.

One thing i would highly recommend.
Ensure any costumes are free from domestic soaps, give them a real good rinse in fresh water, many times.
If you can, then take a shower before getting in, (sort of defeats the object of a random dip)
And although this may go against the grain, don't wash your costumes when you get out.
It sounds an horrendous thought, but think on the basis, that they have been sanitised with the chlorine anyway.
We put ours in fresh water in the bottom of the bath for a few hours.

These things will help to alleviate the dreaded foam.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 03:41:03 am by keat63 »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 06:49:02 am »
Actually chlorine adds acid so you are going to want to get it more alkali. Use PH up to get it around 7.2-7.4 Then as you add chlorine it should come down over time.
Retired

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 07:24:01 am »
Hi all

Got my new hot tub Saturday and am having it wired up soon. I got a chemical pack containing the following:

Dispenser with bromine tablets
Spa clarifier
Filter cleaner
Spa no foam
Chlorine granules
Ph plus
Ph minus

When it's been filled with water what chemicals do I add? I know I have to wait 12 hours after adding chemicals plus for water to heat up.

Also what's best way to empty it? I was going to use drain valve but heard it takes ages. My tub also leaves a lot of water in the foot well. I can only think of using a submersible pump which will hardly leave much water.

Cheers guys

A couple of quick points,  The NO FOAM product - only as needed.  Your tub may take less than 12 hours to heat, and a 3/4" hose or larger can help siphon water out faster.   Also I use a 5 gallon bucket to take some of the water out of the footwell and then I have an old bleach bottle that I keep the handle and cut out a scoop to get the last bit of water out.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 07:25:07 am »
Thanks for your reply

Test results

Ph 6.2
alkalinity 80
chlorine 0
ppm stabilizer 0

After your PH Plus is gone, I use cheap baking soda in the small boxes to raise my PH up.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 05:57:16 pm »
Thanks for your reply

Test results

Ph 6.2
alkalinity 80
chlorine 0
ppm stabilizer 0

After your PH Plus is gone, I use cheap baking soda in the small boxes to raise my PH up.

Soda Ash does a better job than Baking soda on the PH while only raising TA slightly.
Retired

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2013, 07:23:15 am »
I don't even know where to find Soda Ash, I should try that.

Spoiledrotten

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 12:04:54 pm »
"A bend in the road is not the end of the road... unless you fail to make the turn."

Mike710_0

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2013, 01:54:47 pm »
Thanks very much for all your replies. I'll post again if I can think of any other questions

Cheers Mike

Mike710_0

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2013, 03:13:17 pm »
Hi again

Just wondering what temperature I should be leaving the tub on when not in use. I use it say 2 times in the week as well as Saturday and Sunday.

I've been leaving it on at 35 celcius. Just not sure if that's right for chemicals/electricity consumption?

Cheers
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 04:15:38 pm by Mike710_0 »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2013, 03:13:17 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42