What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: How important is a Microban surface?  (Read 5101 times)

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
How important is a Microban surface?
« on: June 17, 2004, 09:47:57 pm »
Sounds like most manufacturers are offering some Microban surfaces.  How important is this and does it make a big difference?  We're wet testing a Marquis Friday and the salesperson there said they don't have any Microban surfaces.  Should this be a deterrent?
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

Hot Tub Forum

How important is a Microban surface?
« on: June 17, 2004, 09:47:57 pm »

Rboehme

Re: How important is a Microban surface?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2004, 09:55:27 pm »
Marquis does offer microban. The dealer you are talking too may just not want to sell it. In the many years I have been working on spas I have NEVER seen a difference between a spa with microban and a spa without it.

Jordy

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2004, 11:22:18 pm »
In my experience selling Hot Tubs-Beachcomber, HotSpring, Pacific- I have never considered Microban to be anything more than a marketing gimmick. It is not going to prevent any health-related problems due to poor water chemistry. If your sanitizer levels are low for extended periods of time a Microban shell will not prevent bacteria from gaining a foothold in the tub because the underside of the cover (and other surfaces you touch coming in and out of the Hot Tub) can still become a breeding ground for bacteria. The bottom line is, keep your sanitizer at proper levels and you won't have anything to worry about. I wouldn't pay for Microban. I have seen dealers ask anywhere from $99-$299 CDN for this unneccessary marketing gimmick.

drb

• Official 4 Star "Best of Class" spa searcher... ;)
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2004, 01:00:22 am »
Do some research on Microban, and you'll decide that not only is it completely ineffective, but it contains stuff that you really, really don't want to be soaking in.

I wouldn't have it if it was free, much less pay for it.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2004, 07:43:29 am »
Do some research on Microban, and you'll decide that not only is it completely ineffective, but it contains stuff that you really, really don't want to be soaking in.

I wouldn't have it if it was free, much less pay for it.

That is just a little extreme, there are more nasty things in higher concentrations coming out of your tap water than the microban surface in the final product.   I won't say its effective or worth it, but  I think your being a little alarmist.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2004, 10:36:57 am »
I wouldn't use this as the decision maker for a spa purchase, and I wouldn't pay extra for it.

There is much controversy swirling around the product, both in the spa industry and outside the spa industry. They make grand claims for the product, but many detractors exist who also sound very credible.

I would stick with the proven: dichlor works.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2004, 10:42:41 am »
Thanks for the feedback.  We're off to do some wet testing in about an hour.  Today's lineup is the Marquis Silver Reward and Euphoria, SD Cameo, Jacuzzi 375 and HS Vista.

Ken
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2004, 10:49:37 am »
There are only two companies that provide acrylic sheets for the entire spa industry.  One of the two, in an effort to differentiate their product from their competitor, started incorporating Microban into their acrlic sheets.  From all the sources that I have been able to uncover there is no difference between a tub made with Microban impregnated acrylic and one without, assuming proper water treatment is maintained.  So Microban is not an important feature for the consumer to consider.

Regards,

Bill

markb

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2004, 11:07:45 am »
Bill,

I see that you probably own a caldera geneva. I believe caldera is one of the spas that does not use microban. I didn't see it in the brochure at least.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2004, 12:27:31 pm »
I am a spa owner and nothing else.  My tub has microban. It was one of several features I wouldn't pay extra for, but was part of an excellent deal I got.

Some people seem to think microban will keep bacteria out of the water.  That doesn't even seem feasible and probably isn't worth discussing.  I was under the perception that the way it was marketed was to resist bacteria growth and scum  on its surface, thereby keeping it cleaner, not the water.

While I was learning to maintain my tub, I did get a scum line a few times.  
« Last Edit: June 18, 2004, 12:32:35 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2004, 02:04:05 pm »
Mark,

Yes I recently purchased a Caldera tub.  They do not mention Microban so it is probably the case that they do not use the supplier of acrylic that offers it.  After I learned what it is and all, it became a non-factor in my buying decision.  

Regards,

Bill

drb

• Official 4 Star "Best of Class" spa searcher... ;)
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2004, 02:09:30 pm »
Research shows that Microban (the generic name is Triclosan) is a pesticide as well as a germicide. It also shows that dioxin contamination is a possibility, however remote. Additionally, the action of sunlight on Triclosan causes the formation of a type of dioxin - however, this type is not supposed to be "that" dangerous to humans.

http://www.consciouschoice.com/health/triclosan1207.html

http://www.health-report.co.uk/triclosan.html

http://www.chem.umn.edu/groups/mcneill/sci_update.html

http://www.dep.state.pa.us/newsletter/default.asp?NewsletterArticleID=997

Your point is well taken about the tap water; the last thing I need is more junk in the spa water.

Don

That is just a little extreme, there are more nasty things in higher concentrations coming out of your tap water than the microban surface in the final product.   I won't say its effective or worth it, but  I think your being a little alarmist.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2004, 02:09:30 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42