What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Chlorine levels are low and nothing I do raises them  (Read 3449 times)

paulcicero

Chlorine levels are low and nothing I do raises them
« on: August 01, 2013, 11:15:56 am »
Hi All, I have a Laguna Bays tub with the Ozone.  my chemicals test positive, except I cannot get the Chlorine to the right levels.  I use a Bromine filled floater.  It has 4 tablets in there and is open all the way- what am I doing wrong? Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

Chlorine levels are low and nothing I do raises them
« on: August 01, 2013, 11:15:56 am »

Spoiledrotten

Re: Chlorine levels are low and nothing I do raises them
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 11:39:41 am »
Could be that if you are soaking, then without a little help, it can't keep up with the load.
"A bend in the road is not the end of the road... unless you fail to make the turn."

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 12:40:55 pm »
Your chemicals test positive? What does this mean?
PLEASE POST WHAT CHEMICALS YOU'RE USING, EXACTLY HOW YOU'RE TESTING AND THE EXACT RESULTS YOU'RE READING.

You're using bromine, and you're concerned about chlorine?
PLEASE EXPLAIN
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

goneaway

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 03:24:56 am »
Hi Paul

Bromine and Chlorine are two different chemicals.
You'd use one or the other, but not both.

So if your'e using Bromine, your chlorine levels will be non existent and visa versa

chem geek

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 03:36:22 am »
So if your'e using Bromine, your chlorine levels will be non existent and visa versa

Though technically true, test kits will not show this because they do not distinguish between chlorine and bromine.  Test kit indicator dyes react to both.  The only difference is the units of measurement where bromine is 2.25x the chlorine level though test kits normally just show 2x if shown on the same comparator tube.

Also, one can use chlorine to activate bromide to bromine in a bromine spa so in that sense they can be mixed.  Also, the most common bromine tabs, BCDMH, are bromine and chlorine combined in the same tablet, but the chlorine will activate bromide in the bromide bank to bromine.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 03:36:22 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42