What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Need Advice on Moving New Hot Tub from Garage to Patio  (Read 23147 times)

stillerfan32

Need Advice on Moving New Hot Tub from Garage to Patio
« on: July 16, 2013, 04:06:41 pm »
My patio is finally getting poured tomorrow and the Concrete Guy told me that I can put the Hot Tub on concrete after 3 days to hook up the electrical and 3 days later can be filled.

I need some advice on the best DIY ways to move my new tub from the garage to the back patio.  The move is only about 40 yards and down a very slight downhill grade. 

I contacted a couple of movers but they start at $450, which seems pretty high for such a small move.  I've tried finding a place in Pittsburgh to rent a hot tub dolly with no luck so I'm looking to you guys for some advice.  I have 5 or 6 guys that are willing to help.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hot Tub Forum

Need Advice on Moving New Hot Tub from Garage to Patio
« on: July 16, 2013, 04:06:41 pm »

Spoiledrotten

Re: Need Advice on Moving New Hot Tub from Garage to Patio
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 04:16:23 pm »
Since you didn't give any information about your tub, do we assume that it's a 2 person tub or a 7 person tub? Either way, 5 or 6 men (which is what you state you have to help) can easily lift it and carry to it's final resting place. I had one guy on each corner of my "vintage" spa which was a 3-4 person tub. You can also get some very cheap 4 wheel dollies, tilt the spa over on its side onto the dollies (they don't have to be spa dollies), and roll it to the spot. Then simply lower it back onto it's belly. If you've ever carried a casket in a funeral, this will be about as easy, with much better incentives.... unless it was your mother-n-law.  ;D
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 04:18:17 pm by Spoiledrotten »
"A bend in the road is not the end of the road... unless you fail to make the turn."

Flyonthewall

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 05:09:16 pm »
flipping spas on edge, directly on and off of dollies, can be pretty sketchy.  hopefully you have wide access and can go flat all the way.  if its well wrapped pvc or dowels can work in lieu of a dolly.  if you are going over grass or other rough surfaces you'll need strips of plywood (at least 2).  pall bearer style is a good way to wreck someones back, unless they are some strong backs. 

44blues

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 11:15:39 pm »
I used PVC pipe to move mine from garage to concrete pad next to my back porch. You'll have to get four long sections and lay them out in front of the spa. Once the spa is at the end of the 1st two sections you lay the next two sections on the ground, under the spa sliding the spa onto them and so on. You're not rolling it along the pipes, you're sliding the spa along the length of the PVC.  You'll still need a few friends to get it up a slope, but if it's flat you'd be how surprised how easy it is to move something that heavy on PVC. I also used the PVC to get it up a pretty steep slope in my yard as well. I had at least 7 friends helping push it up the slope. We also used a long strap to pull it up from above while some friends pushed at same time to get it up the hillside. I definitely wouldn't put it on a dolly or on its side.

If you don't crack the PVC pipe you can return it to HD or Lowes when you're done with it. You'll need to get decent pipe that won't crack if you plan on returning it.

Good luck!!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 08:38:47 am by mtnsurf »

goneaway

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 03:16:26 am »
I've just moved one 10 miles.
Plenty of bodies will do the trick.
It's relatively easy if you can keep it flat.
If you have to flip it on it's side, then use some ratchet straps to carry it.

One man at the front, one at the back and 2 on each side lifting the ratchet straps.

stillerfan32

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 11:11:37 am »
Thanks for all of the comments.  It is greatly appreciated.  I bought a new Hawkeye 7 person tub. 

Luckily the patio guys were able to remove one of the deck support beams by installing an additional header beam so the tub will be able to remain flat during the move slide ride onto the patio.   I've seen videos on youtube of people using PVC Pipe and will buy some from HD. 

Any thoughts on how thick the PVC Pipe that I buy will have to be so it doesn't crack during the move because I'd like to be able to return it after the move? (returning the PVC will cover the cost of the beer that I have to buy my buddies to help. LOL)

Spoiledrotten

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 12:39:15 pm »
Not trying to be ugly here, but I wish you had left that last statement off. Taking the product back after you use it...  If you can't afford $6.00 worth of PVC .....   >:(
Hopefully, you will scar it up real bad during the using of it.
"A bend in the road is not the end of the road... unless you fail to make the turn."

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 12:54:43 pm »
Not trying to be ugly here, but I wish you had left that last statement off. Taking the product back after you use it...  If you can't afford $6.00 worth of PVC .....   >:(
Hopefully, you will scar it up real bad during the using of it.

Ditto.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 01:07:13 pm »
A buddy of mine told me a nice little home depot story yesterday. He bought a $500 tool set from them..Got home, opened the box. Turned out someone already bought it, took out all the tools and replaced them with old broken stuff, then returned it to HD...............I'll refrain from any commentary.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

44blues

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 02:48:14 pm »
I believe I used 4" PVC to move mine. If you buy the cheapest PVC it will probably crack. I can't remember which grade PVC I bought, but had no problem returning it. I think I used PVC that was 10ft long and it was at least $17 per section. You'll need 4 of them, so I wouldn't feel cheap returning them especially if you have no use for them after you move your spa and as long as they're not damaged
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 03:03:54 pm by mtnsurf »

goneaway

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 05:01:43 pm »
Remove the side panel's and you plus 7 buddies can carry it. Don't bother with the pvc pipe.  Enjoy the excersise and laugh about it afterwards.

Topline Mike

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 04:29:13 pm »
Well, I might be moving a hot tub from Ohio to WI.  I plan on using the pvc method to move it through the yard, as I don't have to deal with any steps at all.  I plan on hauling it down the road with a two place snowmobile trailer.  I don't know, maybe I'm crazy for doing this, but I'm saving a huge amount of money.   

Isaac-1

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 05:04:25 pm »
Again without knowing if this is a small light 350 pound tub or a 10 person 1500 pound monster it is hard to give much advice.  I bought a used HS Jetsetter 3 person tub a couple of months ago, hauled it home on an 18 ft car hauler trailer, and my college age son and unloaded it and moved it into place, mostly using the rolling on PVC pipe method.  The seller transferred it from his trailer to mine using a similar method, but used a pair of large 4+ inch metal conduits as rails for the PVC to roll on, one man one handed job, but it was just going down a slight slope from his larger trailer to mine.  Of course the Jetsetter only weighs about 465 pounds.

Topline Mike

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2014, 05:18:45 pm »
Sorry, 900lb tub. 

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 07:09:38 pm »
How about 2-1" or 2" x 14' to 16' nylon slings slung under the tub about 18" in from each end and a 2x4 or 2" sch 40 pipe about 7-8 feet long through the eyes of the slings and 4 guys? Make the slings just long enough to go under the spa and about 2-3 foot up each side. so you are just straightening your legs to lift it 4-6 inches. Pick guys all the same height preferably your big friends.....LOL Put the strongest guys on the equipment side. Easy smeasy. 2 beers each. Might as well feed em some snacks then kick em out.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 07:09:38 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42