What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: New Hot Tubber  (Read 2916 times)

Floater

New Hot Tubber
« on: July 13, 2013, 11:02:30 am »
Hello all, I've been lurking around for some time and I thought I'd share my recent hot tub buying experience. There are only two close dealers in my area and they are Hot Spring and Jacuzzi. From research, I was really eyeing a J-470. I went to go check them out in person at the local Jacuzzi store. I was really turned off by the salesmen there and the fact that I had to haggle on price. They kept reminding me they list for 18k. I had already done my research so it came off as really insulting to me. I told them that I was also considering a hot springs as well. They said a jacuzzi was like a BMW and HS was like a Cadillac, which was kind of funny since I own a Cadillac that I drive there in...

Anyways, I wet tested both tubs. I started off in the HS tub and really the only model we considered was the Grandee. They had a nice little room where they had a Grandee setup for wet testing and showing off. This was nice and the little room really added to the presentation because they could control the lighting of the room which really showed off the lighting off the tub and it was somewhat private. I was thinking the moto message jets would be really gimmicky, but I was surprised at how much I enjoyed them. I also liked the openness of the tub. It felt really inviting and for promoting a social environment. I also liked the overall size of the tub, it's a very large hot tub. The dealer was very knowledgeable and seemed upfront by a lot of things. They recommend I not get the stereo and or a stone facade outer shell. There isn't much haggling there and they offered the tub at 10.5k. What I didn't like about the tub was the fact that a corner seat was taking up by the filter system. i also wasn't too impressed with the bella fontana water feature or the cup holders. I left the store pretty impressed and proceeded to the jacuzzi store.

The jacuzzi had a j470 on their showroom floor for wet testing. This was just setup out in the open filled with water with no privacy like at the HS store. Although the presentation wasn't as near as nice I was determined to try to block that out, but you never know how much something like that will sway your experience. I really liked the high back with the dual waterfalls. I also liked how the light shined through the cup holders illuminating your drinking glass. I didn't like how it made you seem more confined in the seats compared to the HS. Also, I thought the jets felt like they were beating me up more than messaging me. The dealer offered 12.5 with no stereo.

Both dealers offered a nice cover lifter, steps and chemicals. I felt it was a no brainier to go with the HS from here. It was 2k cheaper, bigger, and most importantly more enjoyable. The dealer was also leaps and bounds better in my opinion than the jacuzzi dealer. I'm really glad I checked out both places and conducted a wet test.

My HS grandee arrived yesterday. We ordered a mahogany and champagne (silver) tub, we're very excited to hop in it today. Does anyone have any advice specially to the grandee and chemicals or anything else that would be good to know?

Hot Tub Forum

New Hot Tubber
« on: July 13, 2013, 11:02:30 am »

TwinCitiesHotSpring

Re: New Hot Tubber
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 11:39:34 am »
Congrats on the new Grandee...the Champagne Opal is easily my favorite shell color....Happy Soaking!

Sam

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 11:46:44 am »
Congratulations on your new hot tub!  The Grandee is an excellent choice.  It sounds like you got a pretty good deal as well.  I know that I sold the Grandee for $10k when I sold them 15 years ago. 

What water treatment program are you using?

Floater

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 05:53:57 pm »
They gave me the silver ion sanitizer, chlorine and spa shock. Any advice on actual dosage, or should I just stick with the directions?

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 08:18:07 pm »
    Many times a salesman can blow a sale by saying the wrong thing or not demonstrating/explaining how a spa performs the right way.  In the end it's you that buys it and is going to use it..  Little things you mentioned like the mood room thing can make a sale whether a person really liked the spa or not, the wet test experience can mean a lot ..    Great price and a nice spa you got there!   How about a pic or two  ;)   

Floater

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 12:33:54 am »
Thanks Jim, I'll have to work on those pics. You always provide sound advice, which I know a lot of people appreciate. I wish our jacuzzi dealer handled their business in a manner in which you conduct yourself on here. Their attitude heavily played into my decision. I was pretty set on Jacuzzi, but the bad experience led me to check into other places, which is why I wet tested a HS.

The local HS dealer definitely were better businessmen than the jacuzzi dealer. They knew how to show off their product and how to treat their customers. I know they made me feel more confident in my decision.

Sam

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 01:15:38 pm »
They gave me the silver ion sanitizer, chlorine and spa shock. Any advice on actual dosage, or should I just stick with the directions?

Stick with the directions, though heavy usage usually requires a little bit extra.  I always tell people that when they are entertaining or using the tub for a long period of time, doubling the dose is not a bad idea.  You'll get a feel for what your tub needs after a few months.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 01:15:38 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42