What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Thermal blanket for the winter?  (Read 5691 times)

donl1150

Thermal blanket for the winter?
« on: July 11, 2013, 10:42:51 pm »
This newbie just finished up the installation of our very first spa.  We have a HotSpring Vanguard and it is installed inside a screened in porch.  We live in central Minnesota so our summers can get 100 plus degrees and winters might get to minus 40 degrees or so.  (So why DO we live here you ask?........must be the low taxes - WRONG!)

Even though we have just begun enjoying our soaks, I am thinking winter is not far away.  I have not seen many posts about the benefits of a floating closed cell thermal blanket in addition to the regular cover.  Are there things that should be considered other than the obvious savings in energy bills?  (Our electric rates are about .12-.13/kWhr).  Are there any negatives to using them; such as chemical problems, adverse effects to the primary cover, etc?  Are there some manufacturers that are better than others?  Would like to hear comments/advice from others, particularly those in the northern climes.  Thanks

Don

Hot Tub Forum

Thermal blanket for the winter?
« on: July 11, 2013, 10:42:51 pm »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Thermal blanket for the winter?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 08:00:00 am »
A floating thermal blanket will help to reduce heat loss in the most crucial area of a hot tub in winter. The cover. 70% of your heat loss will be from the top. And they actual help to reduce the damage your sanitizer has on the underside of your cover.

While they are a pain in the butt to remove and reinstall during your soaks they are worth the cost. Get a foam one versus a bubble one.

Oh and I live in Northern Minnesota.
Retired

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 09:21:58 am »
Some preliminary testing by a "major" spa manufacturer empirically showed that a good floating blanket (1/4" thick at minimum) adds about R-10 when used with a standard cover.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

vangoghsear

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 11:02:52 am »
Not to say there aren't other nice ones out there, but I happened across these at what I believe may be Dr Spa's website (the same logo as his avatar).  I'm not affiliated, so I thought I would plug it for him.  They look pretty good to me.

I've researched the material and it should work and hold up well with spa water conditions.

http://www.rhtubs.com/covers/floating.htm

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 12:13:41 pm »
its a Minnesota gathering in here  ;D

donl1150

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 09:02:55 pm »
Are there any issues with it icing up once you take it off to have a winter dip?  I can picture rolling it up, setting it off to the side and then have it freeze solid while you are soaking.  Maybe you just put the 'log' back on the water and it will automatically uncurl?

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 09:08:53 pm »
Once you set it in the water it thaws in seconds.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 09:08:53 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42