What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: 2009 Grandee vs. 2003 Prodigy  (Read 5293 times)

10-79

2009 Grandee vs. 2003 Prodigy
« on: May 17, 2013, 01:39:58 am »
OK, I've been back and forth with questions about a few different tubs over the past month but I've finally got it narrowed down and am forcing myself to make a decision this weekend.  I've found two hot tubs that are quite different from each other, but will both work for my wife and I. 

The first is a 2009 Grandee.  The owner ordered it in '09 and took delivery in '10.  According to him, he has only used it sparingly due to working out of the country 9 months per year.  He also owns a pool and said he had both the pool and hot tub maintained by a professional.  The tub has been under a covered porch.  He did have a leak in the tub and the local HS dealer just fixed and returned it two weeks ago under warranty.  I spoke to the HS serviceman today and with the owner's permission, he told me there was a leak in one of the lines within the foam.  It was repaired to 'factory standards' under warranty and tested for a week to make sure the leak was fixed.

The owner is asking $5500 and that includes the cover, steps, cover lifter and sub panel.  He is willing to split the cost of moving the tub from his house to mine which HS quoted as $500.

The second is a 2003 Prodigy.  The original owner is an elderly male who has maintained it impeccably (per his son) and it is all original.  This tub has also always been under a covered porch and has only been used by the one owner.  There is no ozone and it is a 115 volt.

The owner is asking $2200 and they will deliver it to my house.

Both tubs appear as if brand new but I'm having a tough time deciding whether it's worth spending an extra $3500 for the Grandee.  Any opinions would be much appreciated! 

Hot Tub Forum

2009 Grandee vs. 2003 Prodigy
« on: May 17, 2013, 01:39:58 am »

Chiadrum

Re: 2009 Grandee vs. 2003 Prodigy
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 03:07:48 pm »
That's a high price for the Grandee in my opinion.We got ours that was an 08 delivered in 09 for 4k with chemicals,steps,cover lifter and electrical whip.I am amazed by the Moto Massage and wouldn't want to be without it.The power and quality of the Grandee have impressed me.Intense therapy from the jets.Like a deep tissue massage.I am a first time owner so I have nothing to compare it to.I don't know much about the Prodigy.5500 seems like a dealer price for a used Grandee,not a private seller.Work him down on the price and get the Grandee.Having a Spa 6 years newer is definitely worth quite a few bux IMHO.I also found a local Tub moving service for 350 FYI.Dealers will be on the high side.

Sam

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 03:58:41 pm »
Seems like a reasonable price to me for the Grandee.  It is also much nicer than the prodigy.

10-79

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 11:29:49 pm »
That's a high price for the Grandee in my opinion.We got ours that was an 08 delivered in 09 for 4k with chemicals,steps,cover lifter and electrical whip.I am amazed by the Moto Massage and wouldn't want to be without it.The power and quality of the Grandee have impressed me.Intense therapy from the jets.Like a deep tissue massage.I am a first time owner so I have nothing to compare it to.I don't know much about the Prodigy.5500 seems like a dealer price for a used Grandee,not a private seller.Work him down on the price and get the Grandee.Having a Spa 6 years newer is definitely worth quite a few bux IMHO.I also found a local Tub moving service for 350 FYI.Dealers will be on the high side.

Well... the Prodigy owner had drained the tub to move it to their new home.  Tonight she re-filled it to take some video for me (since she lives 3 hours away) and found a small leak.  So that crosses the Prodigy off the list.  We had been considering that tub because it seemed big enough for the two of us and even though it didn't have as many bells and whistles, we liked the layout.

I agree the price is kinda high for the Grandee, hence some hesitation on our part making the commitment.  I'm sure the jets are fabulous!  Another person is selling a completely refurbished 2000 Grandee for $2,000.  Everything was replaced by HS 7 months ago, but he's moving out of state and needs to sell.  But we're not crazy about the style, white with blue border... Thanks for your input, though!

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 08:30:41 pm »

Well... the Prodigy owner had drained the tub to move it to their new home.  Tonight she re-filled it to take some video for me (since she lives 3 hours away) and found a small leak.  So that crosses the Prodigy off the list.  We had been considering that tub because it seemed big enough for the two of us and even though it didn't have as many bells and whistles, we liked the layout.

I agree the price is kinda high for the Grandee, hence some hesitation on our part making the commitment.  I'm sure the jets are fabulous!  Another person is selling a completely refurbished 2000 Grandee for $2,000.  Everything was replaced by HS 7 months ago, but he's moving out of state and needs to sell.  But we're not crazy about the style, white with blue border... Thanks for your input, though!

If I'm chosing between colors on used spas I tend to lean toward whichever color is on whichever hot tub I think is the best deal and/or is in the best condition.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 08:34:45 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

10-79

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 10:27:04 pm »
If I'm chosing between colors on used spas I tend to lean toward whichever color is on whichever hot tub I think is the best deal and/or is in the best condition.  ;)

Good point!  We ended up going in a completely different direction and purchased a 2005 Sovereign (shipped to the original owner in '06).  Owner listed it for $4k and we negotiated down to $3k.  We finally finished our deck and the electrical and we've been loving the tub ever since.   

Spoiledrotten

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 08:09:56 am »
I don't see pics of the tub from the proud new owners!  8)
"A bend in the road is not the end of the road... unless you fail to make the turn."

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 08:09:56 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42