What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: RE: Bromine ?  (Read 4038 times)

mandtra

RE: Bromine ?
« on: May 03, 2013, 11:51:47 am »
I'm using the floating frog system , and added the correct amount of sodium bromide for the bank.      If your using the floating frog and shocking with di clor  .
  When you test your water , which one are you reading ?  the Bromine , or the chlorine ?
  I somewhat understand that the diclor activates the bromine , but i'm reading that with ozone and the frog system , i can run 2.0  bromine and be fine.
    How do you know if your Bromine level is low ?   When using this system , how often and how much diclor should i add ?
How do you know its not reading mostly chlorine from the diclor and not the Bromine ?

Hot Tub Forum

RE: Bromine ?
« on: May 03, 2013, 11:51:47 am »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: RE: Bromine ?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 12:07:51 pm »
 Why do you want to shock with dichlor instead of MPS (shock) would be my question.   While shocking with dichlor works it's just putting more unwanted crap in your spa.. 

mandtra

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 12:16:55 pm »
(diclor)& (frog)  Its what they gave me with my new spa.  I'm looking for something good to go with the floating frog system , that's good and easy to maintain  .  Do you recommend only using the frog and shocking with MPS  ?    if that's the case.  How often would i use the MPS ? and how much ?

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 12:45:51 pm »
   Once your bromine level has reached the desired PPM, I would shock with MPS once a week depending on use.  Start with like 2oz once a week, I know some will shock 1 tblspn after use per person.   You can hit it with dichlor periodically if the PPM of bromine drops.       To be honest I never understood why people use the spa frog/bromine at all!    My take is why not just use a Nature2 stick with either one tblspn of shock per person after use then Dichlor (chlorine) once a week.    Or you can use Dichlor after use then shock once a week maintaining a 1ppm of chlorine in the water give or take, adjust PH/ALK as needed. 

The other option is to just use bromine with floater no spa frog thing (nature2) and maintian a ppm then shock once a week.   Spa frog to me is a waste of money.    It really depends on use and how many people are using it.   I do like bromine floaters with large familys and mom&dad not always around or to busy to maintain the chems..

mandtra

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 01:35:16 pm »
i'm really a noob when i comes to spas ,   i'm not even sure what the nature 2 is .   We do stay really busy and the kids and grand kids will be using , so i would like something easy to maintain , and keeps the water safe .  i currently have a 6 month supply of spa frog , and diclor , and a bottle of non chlorine shock of some type .  What do you suggest ?

Though i have had a pool for over 7 years

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 01:51:02 pm »
 The cartridge part of spa frog is basically Nature2 mineral stick.        Keep with what you have since you have it, maintain a 1 ta 2ppm of Bromine not sure I would worry about the chlorine reading.   Shock once a week 1/4 cup roughly with MPS,  boost sanitizer every once in awhile if it's getting heavy use.   Watch PH/ALK.    Take two asprin and call us in the morning! 

Chem geek may chime in with thoughts as well.   

chem geek

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 10:09:41 pm »
Nope.  Nothing to add.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 10:09:41 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42