What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: 1998 Hot Spot SE problems!! HELP  (Read 8188 times)

minervini5269

1998 Hot Spot SE problems!! HELP
« on: April 24, 2013, 03:59:08 pm »
I recently purchased a 1998 Hot Spot SE serial number Y381020. After buying it, I found that the low speed jets do not work and it appears not to be heating.

I am searching for a fix. High speed jets work min to max. Light works. The light on the control panel is solid. On the inside, there are 3 colored light and the red one is lit. On high, the yellow one becomes lit. The previous owner did state he replaced the pump and that did not fix the problem.

I have taken the filter off and it runs fine. Low speed jet and heater are not working. What could be the problem. NEED HELP!

Hot Tub Forum

1998 Hot Spot SE problems!! HELP
« on: April 24, 2013, 03:59:08 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: 1998 Hot Spot SE problems!! HELP
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 01:27:03 pm »
Are you handy with a VOM? If not, call a tech. If so, here are some things to check:

That box has a slide switch on the side. It operates a feature called "Summer Timer." That basically shuts down the spa for eight hours after you power it up, or after you switch to 'on' for that slide switch. Turn it to "off," turn the power back on to the spa, and you should be off and running. If it's not that,

Check the locations of the leads which go to the motor. Do NOT assume that they are on the right connections - a previous owner/tech may have installed them incorrectly, so read the schematic on the inside cover and be sure the high speed, low speed, neutral and ground are all in the correct place. If not that:

Swap the red and black leads which go to the jet pump. Then power up the spa, and let it go through it's start-up procedure. If the high speed pump comes on, then you know the control board is fine, and you have a bad motor (or the connections inside the motor may be wrong or loose).  You can't run it for very long with these leads swapped because it will kick in the heater, and with the heater and the high speed pump running at the same time, it should trip a 15A breaker almost instantly, and a 20A breaker in a few minutes. Of course, if you turn it to high speed ('jets') and the low speed still doesn't run, then the problem is with the motor (motor itself or connections inside of it).

HTH

8)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 01:29:29 pm by Chas »
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

minervini5269

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 05:51:10 pm »
Thanks for the response!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 06:09:23 pm by minervini5269 »

minervini5269

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 06:50:08 pm »
Well all leads were in the correct location. I tried swapping the red and black wires to the motor and as soon as I hit the jet button I lost power. Now I can not turn my tub back on. I get zero lights?

Did that just fry my board??

Previous owner stated that he tried replacing the pump (motor) and that did not solve the problem. I'm guessing I now need a circuit board?

minervini5269

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 06:55:04 pm »
Not only that. The outlet I was using is no longer working and I don't have any blown fuses!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 04:41:54 pm »
Most outdoor outlets go through a GFI in the house, usually in a bathroom. Check the GFI outlet in your bathroom to see if you can get power back to the outlet. Also check all breakers, of course.

Switching the wires should have run the HIGH speed and heater, instead of LOW speed and heater, and it would tell us if the board is putting out power on low speed or not. (since you say that the jets work on high speed, we are using a known-good component, the jet pump, to see if the board is putting out power on low speed or not).

Now - if it is tripping the GFI then you may have a bad heater element as well. Disconnect that, and see if it will run without tripping a GFI.

Do you know what Amperage the breaker is rated at? Should be a 20 - and it's best if it is dedicated. But let's get this thing running first before you start rewiring the place...

8)

minervini5269

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 08:48:47 pm »
Still can't get this thing to turn on now !!!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 09:23:56 pm »
Have you restored power to the outlet?

8)

minervini5269

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 01:23:39 pm »
Power outlet works. TUB doesn't! I can't get this thing to turn on. Tried it in multiple outlets. IDK now.

minervini5269

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 08:51:10 am »
Any help??

minervini5269

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 10:24:47 pm »
?

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 10:52:48 pm »
Any help??

Tink it's time to call a professional in

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 12:50:34 am »
Agreed.

8)

minervini5269

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2013, 02:35:44 pm »

Swap the red and black leads which go to the jet pump. Then power up the spa, and let it go through it's start-up procedure. If the high speed pump comes on, then you know the control board is fine, and you have a bad motor (or the connections inside the motor may be wrong or loose).  You can't run it for very long with these leads swapped because it will kick in the heater, and with the heater and the high speed pump running at the same time, it should trip a 15A breaker almost instantly, and a 20A breaker in a few minutes. Of course, if you turn it to high speed ('jets') and the low speed still doesn't run, then the problem is with the motor (motor itself or connections inside of it).

8)

So basically this blew my board??  Do you have any further advice to get this thing back online at least? It ran and pumped prior to me "trying" this!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2013, 06:12:14 pm »
No, if you switched the red and black wires which go to the pump, all you would do is get high speed when you need low speed and vice versa. It would not "blow the board." If you switched some other wires...

Call a pro.

And check for fuses on the board.

8)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2013, 06:12:14 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42