What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Spa List Prices  (Read 7434 times)

johnnythunders

• Jacuzzi J-355
Spa List Prices
« on: May 31, 2004, 06:00:54 pm »
Just got off of the phone with a few Harrows pool and spa stores from the New York New Jersey area.told them I was interested in a Jacuzzi J-355 and he said the price was $7200.and then I asked for the list or retail price and he said $12,000....I am wondering if there is really list or Retail prices on these things?Johnny Thunders :o

Hot Tub Forum

Spa List Prices
« on: May 31, 2004, 06:00:54 pm »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: Spa List Prices
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2004, 09:48:28 pm »
What difference would it make?  Most things don't sell for their suggested retail anyway.  More importantly is what YOU will pay for YOUR spa.
To answer your question, I'd suspect most spas have a suggested retail.  I'd guess that it's up to the individual dealer to decide how to use that "price" or to not use it at all.
This is only my opinion.  Not being a spa dealer, I stand corrected in advance if I'm wrong.
Brewman
Brewman

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2004, 11:45:15 pm »
You are mostly right Brewman except it is usually the maunfacturer that has an MSRP. It is up to the individual dealer to determine their pricing based on location and operational cost, etc.

Often the more sleazy dealers will inflate a suggested price to build value. As I've said in the past, if a consumer runs into this, ask to see an invoice were the tub you are considering was sold at that suggested retail price.I guarantee you that none of them can produce it. I've done it with other products and when they couldn't/wouldn't, I walk out and take my hard earned money to someone who will be honest with me.
It's not mch to ask but it's becoming harder to find quality retail outlets that will be upfront and honest.

Steve

Electro

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2004, 01:05:50 am »
johnnythunders,

There is no retail or manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) for hot tubs.  The reason is that the federal government does not consider it necessary to regulate hot tub sales like other products such as autos.  Since they don't have to provide an MSRP, the manufacturers don't.  This allows the dealers to play all sorts of games in pretending the retail is whatever they want it to be.

This is obvious, once folks compare with one another from different areas of the country.  For example, your dealer is selling a J-355 for $7200, which he said retailed for $12,000.  A local dealer in my area was selling the J-355 for $6750; others that I know have paid as little as $5995.  My dealer said the retail price was $8499.

Is it possible that MSRP can be both $8499 and $12,000, depending on what dealer you visit?  It seems to me that the manufacturers ought to clean up their act, and reign in the dealers who play outrageous games with the "retail" price.

Another easy way to discover the truth about this bogus system is to call the manufacturer of whatever brand you are interested in.  If they had a legitimate MSRP, I'm sure they'd tell you.  Call and listen to their nonsense about why they won't tell you what the retail price is.

Electro

johnnythunders

• Jacuzzi J-355
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2004, 06:30:59 pm »
Well if you buy a stove thats on sale at sears you get to see the Retail that it was,same thing with audio equiment you have sale price and Retail.Just bought some Computer parts samething Sale price and Retail.It should be the same with Hot Tubs.Johnny Thunders

Jay_Suede

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2004, 10:05:28 pm »
In my area, the J-355 is going for $5895 loaded, with CD Player $6395.00
J-345...$5595.00
J-365...$6195.00 plus $500 for CD
J-375...$6695.00 plus $500 for CD

Any feedback on the quality of the CD player in the Jacuzzi Premium Spas?

leeni318

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2004, 04:04:35 pm »
where are you getting your price quotes....getting $7700. for the j-365....burns me when i see others are getting it at so much less.....

johnnythunders

• Jacuzzi J-355
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2004, 07:29:37 pm »
Well I was paying $5995 for mine with shipping but then he told me they use a outside delivery company that sets it up and lowered the price$5795 and pay the guy that brings the spa $200.They are very good prices on 2004 Jacuzzi's and can't see why people are paying much more then we are. ??? Johnny Thunders

superted

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2004, 06:14:53 pm »
As a dealer I  can set any price that I want. Msrp comes from Jacuzzi as a recommended msrp. Then dealer decides retail price. We show MSRP than have our everyday low pricing and are very upfront about it. Retail margin varies with cost. A higher volume dealer gets a better cost plus lower frieght ect. Keeping the margin the same while charging less. Also frieght increases or decreases state to state. For example I am sure shiping to N.Y. from Cali is more than from Cali to Cali. I sell J-355 at $6195.00 than take additional discount -2% for cash or check -3% stock. If I order one spa my frieght is more than when I order stock of 15-20 spas and I get charged 2% to run a credit card and that is in my pricing. Also wages employees are getting, good employees cost more and eat into margins. If I hire a couple of knuckleheads to do deliveries I can pay minimum, but is that what you want?

empolgation

• you pay what you get it for
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2004, 07:00:38 pm »
...can't see why people are paying much more then we are. ??? Johnny Thunders

Electro tells is like it is...

Those that are paying a whole lot more do so simply because they are not educated (or don't care) about the fair market value of the spa they purchase and get taken advantage of. As most everyone on this thread agrees, the dealer slings around whatever "retail" price they want. Sounds like you got lucky and ran into an integrous dealer who gave you a realistic fair price - congratulations! For those who don't take the time to research and educate themselves run the risk of paying closer to that $12,000 "retail".

Kudos to you superted - in my experience, you are in the minority of how spa dealers do business.
e

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2004, 07:00:38 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42