What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Moving a Hot Tub  (Read 5180 times)

spanorth

Moving a Hot Tub
« on: February 17, 2013, 10:27:06 pm »
After tomorrow, I hope to join in on many more topics about enjoying and maintaining our new spa....but I gotta get it home first.

We are purchasing a used Marquis Epic.  We have a solid plan for moving and transporting it.  I'm not underestimating the size of this job, but my buddies and I are always up for a challenge!  I know I know there are pros for this...but I don't hire anyone to do most anything for me...I'm too picky and too cheap!

So, do I need to empty it first?  (haha just kidding)

The main question I have at this point in the plan is...Is there a side that I can't or shouldn't stand the spa on? I sure would like to keep the side with the 2 motors/pumps DOWN, but that's also the side with the access panel.   I think it would be important to keep the weight of the motors low to the ground if possible.  There are 3 studs that extend outside of the skirting on that side (to hold the access panel on) but I can deal with those so they don't get bent, by blocking with 2x4's the full length of that side and distributing the load.  Anyone know if there is a good bad or better side to move it on?  Once we get it to the trailer she'll ride flat on the base, so it's going to ride on the side for about 10'-15', but possibly about 50' if we can't get the trailer as close as I hope to.  Any thoughts  or experience on which side is best?

We can't wait to get this beauty home!

Hot Tub Forum

Moving a Hot Tub
« on: February 17, 2013, 10:27:06 pm »

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
Re: Moving a Hot Tub
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 12:12:00 am »
Equipment side down

spanorth

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 12:19:57 am »
Cool.  I was hoping I'd hear that!  Have you moved many hot tubs?

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 07:55:12 am »
I would just add, and this is only from reading here, inspect the underside, or inside if you take a cover off for anything loose or out of place.  I've read many stories about problems with hot tubs after moving.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

bimmerdog

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 10:23:56 am »
Throwing in my 2 pennies.  I have helped moved 3 tubs and have watched the hot tub store employees move a few tubs and I have had two tubs delivered to me.  Never once have I seen the pump and control side ever on the bottom when the tub is tipped on end.  I have no idea if it's good or bad but I just wanted to let you know what I have seen.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 11:06:51 am »
Obviously when moving items you want to keep the center of gravity as low as possible. When moving a spa I'd keep the equipment side down for that reason and expect most would do the same. Some may not choose that route out of fear of damaging the door but if you know what you're doing and the spa is properly built...
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 02:10:36 pm »
 I have done at least 4 to 500 deliveries over the years and I would say equipment side down probably 80% of the time.   Other times when delivering in a tight spot you have to lay it over a specific way to get the right orientation because you can't spin it in place.   I could see if it was an older tub with some frame rot but pack side down should be fine.     

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 04:59:52 pm »
Besides, it's easier to tip up. Lay it flat for transport but tip it up on the equipment side for your move to the trailer. It will be fine.
Retired

spanorth

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 09:10:54 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  I called a local Marquis dealer this morning and they confirmed they prefer to tip it motor down, as well.  I'm in Minnesota and having a fair amount of snow on the ground right now actually worked very much to our advantage.  We did tip in on the side with the motors.  But, first I removed the access panel and replaced it with sturdy piece of plywood so we would have a much more solid base to slide it on and eliminate the risk of trashing the access panel door, I just screwed it to the 2x4 frame, which made it a very solid base.  Since we have snow on the ground, we decided to tip it up on a piece of carpet (carpet side up) and slide it...this is the carpet with the foam back already attached, so that made the sliding really easy.  We slid it about 100 feet to the driveway where I had a 8'x10' flatbed snowmobile trailer waiting.  We carefully laid it down on the trailer and we were off.  We had 6 guys, and it was EASY!  We could have done it with 3 people if we had too, and 4 people would have been adequate.  But, I wanted to make damn sure we didn't screw this up so I had overkill on the man power.  We can't wait to fire this baby up!  I'll start a new thread with the story about I acquired this little gem...Thanks for the input.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 09:10:54 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42